Join our zoo community

King Cheetah census

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Arizona Docent, 18 Nov 2012.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

The document on the white tiger/other color morphs ban also made mention of albino and leucistic animals in general. They take more issue with breeding than display. Do lots of zoos try to breed white alligators or something?

2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

Not that I know of. Most zoos obtain their reptile colour morphs (if they keep any) from external sources (pet trade, crocodile/gator farms, animals donations, private breeders…)

3. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member

"South Africa:
    *Ann van Dyk Cheetah Centre (formerly called De Wildt Cheetah Centre): does anyone know how many are here? I haven't been able to find anything apart for a recent reference saying there are thirty king cheetahs total (in the world), which would probably put De Wildt on around fifteen or twenty or so."

I would be very surprised if this Cheetah Centre held more than 5 or so at a time. When I visited in 2011 they had one cub (due to be sent to Saudi Arabia) plus one adult on display and maybe 1 or 2 other adults offshow.

4. FrancoiseLangur

FrancoiseLangur Well-Known Member Premium Member

Actually there was another female king cub born along with Ibuki in 2012 to mother 'Kikyo', but she died shortly after birth.

The two king cheetahs born in 2013 are called 'Fang' and 'Anemone'. Anemone is now at Adventure World on breeding loan with her mother 'Sumire' (who is also the mother of 'Nadeshiko' born 2011).

Adventure World had one male king cheetah until about 10 years ago (I do not know exactly when it died).

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member Premium Member

6. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member

As I understand this is the case with black leopards and black jaguars. I can see why no black leopards are bred since the AZA is focusing on Amur leopards, but why is it that black jaguars aren't being bred?

7. Arizona Docent

First of all, not many black jaguars are being bred anymore. The only recent births I know of are from two non AZA facilities (Wildlife World in Arizona and Cat Haven in California, though there may be others). However, I do not believe this is due to a ban. I believe it is simply due to the fact that recent imports over the last several years (and there have been many) have been of the normal yellow variety, so that is simply what is available for breeding. In certain parts of South America, melanism in jaguars is quite common, so there is no problem having a certain percentage in captivity, as that replicates nature.

8. Arizona Docent

Here is another article on the litter of eight cubs born to the king cheetah mother at LEO. The article is not new, but I just found it. What is exciting is that some of the cubs will be sent to other USA zoos which opens the possibility that I will get to see kings again one day. (I only saw one once - at St Louis - before it died).
    Greenwich cheetah cubs carry on rare genetic line - GreenwichTime

9. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Monarto Zoo (Australia) also now has king cheetah (the female from Taronga Western Plains Zoo for breeding).

10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

Arizona Docent and Brum like this.
  12. FrancoiseLangur

FrancoiseLangur Well-Known Member Premium Member

Arizona Docent likes this.
  13. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the bad photo but that is my first king cheetah.

14. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member

Would that make the one from Taronga a queen cheetah?

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

The two cubs at the beginning of the video are normal spotted ones. King Cheetah markings are evident very early on/at birth and so there is no chance either of these might change 'later on' as the commentary suggests. So they will still have just the one 'King' at present. They would possibly get more if they bred him back to his mother though.

16. Arizona Docent

As discussed on their own news thread, LEO Conservation Centre closed down. They had the only king cheetah currently in USA. I tried to find out what happened to their cheetahs and someone in cheetah SSP heard through the grapevine that they were all sent to Virginia Safari Park (they could not confirm this since that facility is not part of SSP). I tried contacting the park via Facebook Messenger and email (a couple times each way) and they never replied. There is no mention and no photos of a king cheetah on their website or Facebook page (they do, however, show normal spotted cheetahs). So who knows what happened to it? Maybe she died or maybe she is at Virginia behind the scenes or maybe the owner of LEO kept her as a personal favorite?

17. Stefan Verhoeven

Stefan Verhoeven Well-Known Member

Just now I have seen the mention in this topic of Al Wabra having one king cheetah. But many years ago (2008) when I was at Al Wabra there were for sure 2 king cheetah.