Join our zoo community

King penguins in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by vogelcommando, 19 Nov 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

King penguins have a long history in European zoos but even so they are not doing very well. At the 17 collections currently keeping the species every year a small number of young are hatched and reared.
    Here we can place all the news, ideas, thought and so on about the species in Europe.

2. Clem

Clem Member

Interesting thread !
    Firstly, for those who don't know which zoos have King penguins :
    ZootierlisteHomepage

I had the occasion to see those beautiful birds in some zoos like Munich/Basel/Zurich/Rotterdam but I had ever be "shocked" by the enclosures :
    - Basel/Zurich have indoor areas for them (they can only get out in the winter), but always made of a concrete floor with some rocks, an artificial light and a swimming pool. Munich is a little bit better with true rocks but always not a real natural light ...
    - Rotterdam seems a little bit better but it's not a revolution compare to the other one I had seen.

That's why I have a question : should zoos keep King penguins (and the Emperor one)?
    Isn't other ways to keep them ? 8 months in a small fridge, 4 months only outside ...

Despite my "sharp" post, I really like those birds and would love to see them in zoos but in better condition, with natural light, big pool, and something different than concrete (why not "pebble" ? I'm not sure of the word :/ )

3. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

At Antwerp Zoo the second King penguin for 2016 hatched during August after an incubation-period of 57 days.. The egg was exchanged for a dummy egg with the parents and incubated in an incubator. After hatching the young - which got the name "Ra" - was placed back to the parent-birds. This is the 6th young bred at Antwerp.

5. arafan

arafan Well-Known Member

In Zurich the birds have now a grass ground also it isn't only artificial light, they actually have some windows on the top. But I need to agree, the enclosure is far from perfect.

We also shouldn't forgett than how smaller the room for one bird, better the birds will breed.