Join our zoo community

Kirkley Hall Zoological Gardens Kirkley Hall Zoological Gardens - 2015 news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 23 Jan 2015.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

2.0 Emperor Tamarins have arrived from Paignton

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Mar 2015
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

As the collection is well-established now, I felt that Kirkley Hall merited a true "news thread" rather than posts being made in the thread discussing the opening of the collection some years ago now :p hence my moving the prior post into this new thread.

The impetus for this action is the very welcome news that Kirkley Hall now holds a pack of 6 Bush Dogs :) their origin is, as yet, unknown to me however.

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member

On Sunday, Chester's group of males had disappeared from their usual exhibit (leaving just the two females in the former Yellow Mongoose enclosure) which could explain the source of this group....

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Kirkley Hall have now confirmed via a comment-reply on Facebook that these individuals came from Chester Zoo :)

5. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member

Kirkley Hall - looking good!

I visited back in August and was very surprised by what a good little collection this is. Its low key and family friendly, 'raw' and intimate. Its one of those places where you can walk around and easily miss 3-4 enclosures if you're not careful, but go for a coffee or an explore around the estate, return to the wee zoo and find the Civet awake or a Racoon Dog feeding. Its large lemur exhibit and wetlands aviary are the centre pieces but they've used the space well and its clear the place has education at its heart.

I wish them luck and prosperity. The North East of England is a desert for zoological collections and this may turn out to be an oasis!

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member