Join our zoo community

Knies Kinderzoo Knies Kinderzoo Rapperswill

Discussion in 'Switzerland' started by vogelcommando, 2 Jul 2014.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2 Rothschild giraffes born :)

2. vogelcommando

A Giraffe was born recently :).

3. vogelcommando

4. masonstar

masonstar Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Could anybody help - need Inos about the giraffes

What happend with the females Mara and Luana?
    Is Jahari the breeding male - called Bobo?
    in 2017 4 births.....Pingho, Pancho, and two female - names? All still there?
    in 2019 2 births.....Riana a female....who is the mother? And in november another birth by female Joy....anybody know the name of the young female?

5. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Elephantelephant likes this.
  6. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Asian elephant bull Mekong already mated with 38 years old cow Rani, but she is too old for the forst calf. Let's hope he mates with Sandry and maybe Kalaya as well.

7. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited this zoo last week and it feels like the biggest rip-off of all the zoos I have visited, and that includes multiple Sea Lifes... Only if you are a massive Elephant fan would this tiny park be worth 19 CHF (~19 USD). The 3.5 hectares are dominated by the Elephant facility and 3 restaurants (a fourth restaurant / event centre is currently being built). The zoo is home to a staggering number of 12 mammal species, 7 bird species, a few reptiles and several domestics. Fair enough, enclosures are mostly well-designed and spacious, but there are so many better options to spend a day. I have seen advertisements for this zoo throughout Switzerland and I am surprised they can afford that, as there is hardly anything for an average zoo visitor to travel more than 1 hour for...

snowleopard likes this.
  8. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I rather liked this place when I visited a few years ago - even if (or maybe because) it felt a lot like a toy zoo come to life! Yes, it is expensive - but isn’t that true if everything in Switzerland?

9. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A toy zoo is actually a rather good description, I was thinking that this Kinderzoo was not designed for kids, but rather by kids, so I might steal your term ;)

I am painfully aware how expensive Switzerland is, but compared to the competition (for 9 CHF more you are in Zoo Zürich, for 2 CHF more in Walter-Zoo Gossau which keeps 3x the number of species), there is little to justify the entry price (though I know Elephants are expensive to keep). I find it surprising they manage to attract 360.000 annual visitors with being closed half the year. So obviously a lot of people disagree with me ;)

sooty mangabey likes this.
  10. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

360,000 visitors every 6 months on 3.5ha....?