Join our zoo community

Knowsley or Blackpool?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by JT, 5 Jul 2021.

1. JT

JT Well-Known Member

I'm planning a trip for next Wednesday and I am currently stuck as to where to visit. Both of the above zoos are the are about a 2.5hr drive and cost about £38 for two adults. I've never been to either and I'm hoping somebody could give me some information (I've done some research of my own and I'm still unsure) about them both and maybe give me some pros and cons? If anybody has any suggestions or recommendations that would be great.

pipaluk and pangolin12 like this.
  2. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Personally I prefer Blackpool, although I have been there more times than I have been to Knowsley. If you’d like to take a camera then Blackpool is probably better for photography also. I remember really enjoying the new elephant enclosure too, and magellanic penguins are always nice to see:)
    For Knowsley, remember that the bat house will be closed due to COVID (I believe so anyways). The wolf wood and tiger exhibit are very nice to walk around but there is significantly less walking here than at Blackpool, however the safari part of it is very nice.
    Hope this helps:)

TNT and JT like this.
  3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What are your main interests? Knowsley has an excellent tiger enclosure & Bush dog exhibit in the walking area, sealion exhibit is worst I've seen though (whilst Blackpool's is one of the best). Knowsley has decent tapir exhibit. The drive through is good with several rarely seen hoofstock.

JT and pangolin12 like this.
  4. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Never been to Knowsley but love Blackpool Really flat except for walkway to elephants and great for photography

JT and pangolin12 like this.
  5. JT

JT Well-Known Member

The elephants are certainly a draw for me, I recall seeing them years ago at twycross, then again, I haven't been through a safari park since I was a young child.

Thanks for your information :)

pangolin12 likes this.
  6. JT

JT Well-Known Member

I have a particular fondness of apes and I'm yet to see a gorilla this year, I was at Chester zoo the other week however I didn't really see much of the elephants. Although I'm not particularly knowledgeable on different species, I enjoy birds and aviaries. I haven't really seen many wolves at zoos I've visited and I want to get into small carnivores more. I like seeing anything that's different or rare and I strangely have a rather random interest in tapirs and babirusas as well.

7. JT

JT Well-Known Member

I'm not particularly into photography but I do think I'm maybe swayed more in the direction of Blackpool at the moment.

8. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think Blackpool is probably a better bet for you then!

TNT and JT like this.
  9. JT

JT Well-Known Member

Alright, thank you! :)

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Never been to either but I'll recommend Blackpool as judging by the gallery they seem to have an excellent primate collection.

JT likes this.
  11. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Once again, based on what you have said I agree with Blackpool being better for you.

12. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Again, Blackpool wins here (not to say that Knowsley isn't great, because it is).

pipaluk and JT like this.
  13. JT

JT Well-Known Member

I think I’ve decided on Blackpool, thanks. :)

14. JT

JT Well-Known Member

Cheers :)

Fallax likes this.
  15. JT

JT Well-Known Member

I think I’m going to go to Blackpool next week, but from what I’ve heard Knowsley is worth visiting so I’ll look into going there on my next zoo trip, thanks Thomas :)

TNT likes this.
  16. catfan

catfan Well-Known Member

At Knowsley the wolves are back in the drive through part at the moment and will be for some time according to a keeper I asked at the weekend, can be a struggle to see them in the long grass (in my car anyway)
    I like both places for different reasons. Blackpool for the gorillas/orangs/elephants, Knowsley for the lions and the new(ish) tiger trail. I've been going to Knowsley a fair bit lately as it's only 15 minutes from me but now you've made me think about it I think I prefer Blackpool :)

JT likes this.
  17. JT

JT Well-Known Member

Thank you, Blackpool is booked for Wednesday :)

catfan likes this.
  18. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Last year, not long before the pandemic struck, I headed up to visit both Knowsley and Blackpool (plus a side trip to the Doctor Who exhibit in Blackpool's Madame Tussauds!) I enjoyed both very much (despite the driving rain on the day I went to Knowsley) though if I could only visit one on a trip, I would choose Blackpool Zoo.

JT likes this.
  19. JT

JT Well-Known Member

I’ve come to that conclusion too, but I’ll certainly be visiting Knowsley sometime soon.

20. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

For several reasons, if its a choice you have, go for Blackpool, the again if possible do both. I'm a 15 year plus KSP season ticket holder. It's close to my house so an obvious choice and excellent value.
    10 years ago, I would 100% say KSP over Blackpool, not now. Neither are bad, one in my opinion has stayed a good zoo, the other lost its mojo a bit.

Also, tbh, if its a day out then Blackpool offers a bit more non zoo stuff than Prescott does! ie fish & chips, a beach and a donkey ride :p

Have a nice day out.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2021
    JT likes this.