Join our zoo community

Knowsley Safari Park Knowsley Safari Park News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 19 Jan 2018.

1. Tau

Tau Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The new Tiger Trail is now open. It really is very impressive, a must visit for any zoochatters!! Has anyone else been to see it?

Embu likes this.
  2. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anybody know if Knowsley have or previously had African Wild/Painted Dogs ? I`m guessing they don`t at present as I haven`t seen them in the last 3 years I`ve been, just wondering if they have had ? I`m glad you enjoyed the Tiger Trail Tau, good to know it`s as impressive as it looks online

3. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They used to have them but no longer do

4. Embu

Thank you bit of a shame though, I`m glad it`s not just me missing them each time

5. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Not being a safari fan really, I thought i'd pop in for the first time yesterday and thought the tiger enclosure was pretty impressive.

6. Embu

Wildebeest calf & Eland calf both been born in last 6/8 weeks don't think they're any older than that

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

How many Wildebeest have they got- is it just around 4 that I saw in a recent video with the new calf? I always think the Safari Parks should capitalise on this species- its very typically 'African' and best seen in larger numbers.

8. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Back when they had the white-beardeds, they had quite a large herd, and it really did make for an impressive display.

Pertinax likes this.
  9. Embu

They never seem to have Wildebeest out when I go (although I only go when £15 deal is on) so unsure on numbers. I agree that it would be great to see a larger herd to give more of an African feel.

10. JoeDK14

Doing a Knowsley academy course during the holidays. Was wondering if anyone wanted any info or photos taking.

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Could you take some photos of the Blackbuck herd? I'd like to know if there is an adult 'black' male in the group at present- as there wasn't last time I went.

Any information on the number of Blackbuck and their original source would be interesting too.

Also, do they still have Swamp Deer there?

12. JoeDK14

I’ll try my best to answer your questions.im spending a few hours working with the antelope team.

13. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Tau mentioned seeing fawns this year in your blackbuck thread, so I think that suggests there is a male :)
    Photo from June, although I see they are not on the park's website
    [​IMG]

14. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Can you take some cement and tar and fill in the potholes please. Thanks in advance.

bongorob likes this.
  15. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They're clearly trying to make it feel like an authentic off-road experience ;-)

Swampy likes this.
  16. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The park has recently taken delivery of three Yak. A male from Brno and two females from Serengeti Park

Benobo88 and kiang like this.
  17. Tau

Tau Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited yesterday and all the pot holes appeared to have been filled in!

18. Embu

A nice new interesting species for Knowsley, hopefully heading in the right direction to become a great day out again. I've always thought warthog and Cape buffalo would be a great addition in the drive through. I'm very pro African animals in a safari park

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I have been going to Knowsley fairly regularly for about 12 years now, probably less so in the last 12 months so a lot has changed over that time! The park has gone through a few transition periods, animal numbers at the moment are possibly at their lowest, yet the diversity of species (certainly mammals) is possibly at its highest - if you forget they ever had a reptile and bug house that is.
    There used to be a herd of 5 old cow Cape Buffalo when I started going on a regular basis, then several years later they acquired an impressive (and aggressive!) bull (from Boras in Sweden). I know one or two of the old cows had calves. Now I believe the original cows have all died, the bull was relocated (I don't know where). However if you know where to look ;) you could up until at least 6 months ago see a couple of cape buffalo. Their house is in an off show section and they have/had access to is behind where other animals are on show. So, unless they have been moved on or passed away you can possibly see a Cape Buffalo at Knowlsey, but only if you know where to look from and hope they are out in that part of the field. a kind of secret animal to find :p

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Embu

Shame they are not in a drive past section (obviously drive through is a no no) but they would definitely be a huge incentive for more visitors as they are one of the big 5. As long as small improvements keep being made Knowsley will become an amazing day out again even in winter