Join our zoo community

Knowsley Safari Park Knowsley Safari Park 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Embu, 20 Jan 2020.

1. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think it must be stressed that atm there is no confirmation on what the new species is. I agree though it would be nice to see spotted hyena in the North of England. I'm happy with whatever carnivore species arrives.

2. Nathano

Nathano Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's either hyenas or cheetahs - I can't see it being another large cat and I definitely can't see them getting painted dogs again.

Or, of course, you've got two empty paddocks - the one where the tigers used to be and the one where the hunting dogs used to be. So, who's to say it has to be one or the other?

3. Embu

Didn't the Vicuna move into the old hunting dog enclosure? Maybe wishful thinking about both but there's nothing wrong with the optimism. It may happen but just hope something happens soon

4. BillBoy80

BillBoy80 Well-Known Member

I wondered if you could help me with the names of the Lions in the current Pride at Knowsley. I know that the males are Sam and Ted but what are the names of the Lionesses? Are there obvious defining features that would allow me to recognise which Lioness is which?

I put together a video from my last couple of visits and I would love to be able put names to all of the individual Lions when I visit in future. If someone could indenting any of the Lionesses in the video it would be absolutely amazing. Thank you in advance :) Link to my video >>

5. Embu

Hi and welcome to Zoochat. The remaining lioness' are called

Jasmine- dob 2007
    Handeya- dob 2008
    Dust-dob 2008
    Savannah- dob 2012 (Jasmine's daughter)

Sadly I've only been a couple of times and haven't been for a couple of years so I'm unsure of exact individuals features. Hope this information helps

6. BillBoy80

Thank
    Thank you so much that is really helpful :)

Embu likes this.
  7. Embu

Good video, nice to see them active. Is this recent footage(this year) or a collection over last couple years? Nice to watch either way

8. BillBoy80

Thank you very much. I combined footage from 3 visits that I made over the last 6 weeks on my phone. All taken fairly late in the day about 3:30 - 4pm :)

Embu likes this.
  9. Embu

As has been posted in the Paignton thread 1:0 Bongo has departed here to create new breeding pair in Devon. How many does this leave Knowsley with ?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Embu

As has been posted in the WMSP thread 1:0 Grevy zebra has arrived. He is 10 year old Quigley, a proven stallion. Great news imo

Jungle Man and Elephantelephant like this.
  11. Embu

Are Grevy zebra are a brand new species for Knowsley?

12. BillBoy80

I eventually managed to get a few more details about how to identify the current Pride at Knowsley.

44D57AF0-84EE-4FE9-92C4-1DEA4EE98882.png

catfan, Embu and Benobo88 like this.
  13. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Just picked up an intresting piece on the Dublin zoo thread there annual report said two of there younger bulls stoped at Knowsley for three months of quarantine on there way to Sydney in January this year which could just about have had them still there when lock down one kicked in could this be the ones on trip advisor

14. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

As remember this and please correct me as required.

Ted - a castrated male that grew to be a big mane-less cuddly looking individual.
    Dust - Her name was something associated with the Olympics that year if I recall...and she climbed trees too....along with a few others.
    Not sure who Fannita or Freya may be listed here, but from 2007 onwards (possibly longer) the one breeding male was Kenya. A genuinely magnificent animal who controlled the pride. Looking back it was amazing to see him at closing time when the keepers wanted the lions inside. He had to be last in, that was what Kenya wanted and no one could change it, so it was.
    Maybe Kenya was a keepers name and the above a studbook name?
    Sam on the list was one of 3 males (I think Jester was another males name) who had to be split into separate groups as the females after Kenya's death could not abide with any of the 3 males and dangerous aggression regularly occurred, hence separation was the only option.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2020
  15. BillBoy80

Here is a link to the latest Wild Arena (Photography operation based at Knowsley) video blog posted yesterday on Facebook. It has footage of the Elephants in question Log into Facebook They eventually left on the 22nd October and the video shows them being looked after at Knowsley

Last edited: 22 Nov 2020
    Elephantelephant likes this.
  16. Embu

Kenya was born at Longleat in1998? So after Kenya's death in 2015 there was, as has been pointed out by @Pootle, the dynamics changed so the girls naturally split into 2 groups so were separated.

Jester was at kept here but was a male giraffe who's died in 2011.

Fannita and Freya were lioness' and died around 2008/2009

17. Megan Jones

Megan Jones Well-Known Member

Kenya moved to Knowsley with his brother ( who was later euthanised ) in 2003, therefore jasmine’s offspring are most likely a result of inbreeding.
    Sam’s male siblings may be Mojo and Scooter.

18. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Mojo & Scooter, they are the names I couldn't think of!! thanks.

19. BillBoy80

Scooter and Mojo were brothers. They were born in Feb 2011. They left the pride in late 2013 to form a male coalition with Sam who is their older half brother.

Sam, Scooter and Mojo were sons of a male lion called Kenya. After the death of Kenya (18 years old) in 2015, Sam his son was chosen to to take over role as the male Leader of Pride.

Scooter and Mojo were then integrated with some of the females removed from the main pride due to the infighting within the pride after Kenya’s death.

Mojo was the lowest ranking of the males and by all accounts the most playful and affectionate. The females in the Pride had also known him since he was born which made it harder for him to gain the acceptance from the females.

Sadly the females in this pride turned on him and he was injured in the fight and sadly the Vets decided it would be in his best interest to put him down.

Scooter left in Spring/Summer and is now at South Lakes Zoo, whilst the females from the pride headed for a new life in France.

Pootle likes this.
  20. BillBoy80

Has anyone heard anything more today about the Zebra at Knowsley. I went around the park today >>

but there was no sign of any Zebra on public display. Has it actually been conformed that this Zebra did actually depart WMSP for Knowsley.

It was great to see the Lions, Rhinos and Tigers being nice and active. The Rhinos definitely seemed to be enjoying the cold weather less than the Lions and Tigers and made it clear to the keepers they were ready to get back indoors

bintarong likes this.