Join our zoo community

Knowsley Safari Park Knowsley Safari Park fantasy thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Embu, 20 Jan 2018.

1. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would like to see more species here & that Knowsley could have a bigger variety of African species. I personally would like to see Hyenas here although I doubt it will ever come to fruition.

I`d like to see Aardvark,Anteater although a new herd of African elephants would be the best addition in my eyes (this will be a while off yet though) what do rest of zoochatters want to see here ?

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  2. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’m member if Knowsley because it is very local. I think they need more carnivores as do most people. I’d love hyena in the enclosure we’re the Vicuna are however it is so unlikely we can almost count it off. There is so much space on the drive for just hoove stock and it does get slightly boring I think the best option would to get some new ‘ big name’ animals so to speak for example bears. Any other ideas would be welcome. Also how much space is there at knowsley because i was thinking they could get something like a gorillas or orangs but I don’t know how much space there is

3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Me too (the UK needs more hyenas) and it'd be great enrichment for them while the Vicuna lasted. :)

Way too expensive (to build a suitable exhibit) I'd imagine.

Embu and FunkyGibbon like this.
  4. JoeDK14

We’re could they put bears because I couldn’t think of a suitable area

5. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Woodland Trail where the Elk used to be.

6. Embu

I do like the thought of Knowsley keeping more with the African species. It would be great to see some of the following species arrive ;
    Aardvark
    Anteater
    Aardwolf possibly
    African Penguin
    Bonobos
    Cape buffalo
    Mongoose
    Warthog

Highly unlikely we'll see many of any of these species arrive but any of the above species could bring in more visitors. What do people think ?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

When did the cape buffalo leave?

8. Zooreviewsuk

I don't think they have, but a number of the animals had no access to the paddocks the other day, and they were one of them along with the Zebra, Wildebeast, and Rhino.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. JoeDK14

They are confined to a paddock at the back of the pere David’s deer and camel paddock. The herd became to aggressive towards the cars and deer

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Embu

They don't have Cape Buffalo only Congo species according to email. It would be nice to see Cape Buffalo arrive at some point as it's one of Africa's big 5 but only Congo for now.

11. JoeDK14

THEy have recently kept Cape buffalo however they must if left since my last visit as I do remeber them

12. Embu

That's a shame, bet they're an impressive species to see up close

13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As we're talking fantasy here, it might be fun to replicate some of the collection that a much earlier Earl of Derby had some two hundred years ago. The most difficult species to source would be Quagga (I think he only had one) and Passenger Pigeon (he bred dozens of those).

14. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

But an educational museum-type building on these species, culminating in a viewing platform overlooking a paddock of Pere David's deer, might be an idea.

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From lists I have seen it appears he did only have one 'true' Quagga.

16. FBBird

Same on the ones I've seen. If anyone had made a real effort to import more than one Quagga at a time, we might still have the things!

17. Zooreviewsuk

18. FBBird

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Quagga project continues to argue that black is blue... that these Zebras resemble Quaggas. If you look at genuine Quaggas you can see their markings and colouration were totally different to these recreations.

20. Keelan

Keelan Well-Known Member

Thought I would bring back an old post. Now that I am a membet of knowsley I visit more regularly and this is what I would like to see.
    Safari
    Zone1 would be the same.
    Zone 2 would also be the same but I think the emu should be added into here with a few other emus for companion just to make the zone a bit better
    Zone 3 and 6 would have all the same species and I would like to se the ankole return. I would also like to see kudu in here. The zebra also could be put in here or in the next zone.
    Zone 4 again keeping all current animals except forest buffalo with the potential addition of the zebra. Also the somali wild ass in here
    Zone 5 would still have bongo along with blesbok and the forest buffalo.
    Zone 7 still the baboons
    Zone 9 would be the same also. Might be nice to see red deer added but not a necessity.
    Zone 10 would by my biggest change on the safari. Lions in the same area. When the wolves go back on safari I would like to see hyena or painted dog in this area. When the tiger enclosure is empty I would disconnect this from the lion House and have cheetah in here. Then I would take down the somali wild ass enclosure and build a new one for lynx.
    Foot safari
    More big changes on here starting with the sea lions. I would keep the sea lion building and expand the outdoor enclosure in the surrounding areas and remove the play area nearby so that the area isn't as noisy.
    Wolves, tigers, Bush dogs, birds of prey, red river hogs and meerkat to stay the same.
    Giraffes would be moved into the old elephant enclosure with plains zebra (instead of the grevys on safari drive) (or the other way round).
    The old giraffe enclosure would become the new south America habitat with a few adjustments to the paddock for example adding a pool, more foliage, better fencing and this would house the tapir, capys, vicuna and potentially the addition of rhea.
    I would take up the train track from the equatorial trail, build a bigger house and have hippos in there with a path all the way along the far side.
    The unused area to the right of the elephant enclosure would be where I would have a a number of walk through enclosures. I'd have one for lemurs, one for wallabies and one for goats.
    It is a rathe large list which I suspect will never happen but after all it is a fantasy post.

zoosafari123 likes this.