Join our zoo community

Knowsley Safari Park Knowsley Safari Park News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by karoocheetah, 20 Feb 2015.

1. Ally

Ally Member 5+ year member

Shaba was seperated into that enclosure, because of her illness. That enclosure had cement walls and logs for Shaba to rest on if her arthritis was bothering her.

Also, here is a picture I found on my phone from April which confirms they had 5 elephants at the time and now only 4 after Shaba's death. :(

2. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

No - you're correct for some reason I left Juba off my original post - apologies!

Juba - Female b)1987 - arrived 1993 from Windsor

Sorry :D

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are also still supposed to receive male Kruger( ex Knowsley) from Port Lympne but there seem to be ongoing problems with his transport which have delayed this for many moths now. A short video of him on their website shows he has crippled or bad hindlegs which could be why they don't want to keep him for breeding with unrelated Howletts females- he probably could not mate with that condition.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They will have to move him out somehow soon though?!!!

5. Ally

My thinking is that Knowsley didn't have room for Kruger but now with Shaba gone, this might open space for Kruger?
    Let's hope so!

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kruger won't be going back to Knowsley. He couldn't breed with two of there remaining females (his daughters) so he's better off going elsewhere (in this case Noahs) and Knowsley getting an unrelated male instead

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking at the state of his back legs, I imagine he couldn't mate any more anyway. So Noah's still seems the obvious choice for him- if they can ever crate him ,that is.

8. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

On a brighter note, a kiang has been born, first kiang birth for KSP, nice work! Born 30th June.

9. Ally

KSP are looking for a young bird spotter aged 8 between 15 years old, if anyone has any children interested in native birds.

The successful applicant will get a years free submission to the park and the closing date is Friday 14th August.

More information is on their website. :)
    Bird spotter at Knowsley Safari

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

11. karoocheetah

12. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last edited: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is slightly off topic,but didn't think it was worth starting another thread. Is it possible to drive round the Safari part of the park WITHOUT going through the Baboon section? I have looked at their website etc but cant find anything definite. Is there still a good chance of seeing plenty of animals on a December trip?:eek: And do they still have the falconry display at this time of year?

14. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Not sure about the falconry but there is definitely an option to avoid the baboons and winter is a great time for safari parks - the animals tend to be if anything more active and the park is quieter! I was at West Mids on the 21st and it was one of the best visits I've had for reserve activity.

15. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

As Maguari says winter safari trips can be some of the best. If its raining quite heavy you will be fine driving through the Baboon enclosure, they really don't show interest in cars when rainy. Also, if you are lucky to get a windy day, then you really get the chance to see some good stuff. Lions are much more active, playing with each other and walking right around the cars.
    Also, in the wind, the blackbucks seem to get stirred up! and you can often see them moving at great speed in the wind springing about.
    PS - its only open weekends in the winter :)

16. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

I attended the West midlands safari park at the end of October and had a very enjoyable day also.:D

I do enjoy my photography,is Knowsley the same as West mids where they allow you to lower your windows through certain parts of the safari circuit,and put them up for the carnivore sections? And can the carnivores roam more freely than West mids as all their carnivores,except Lions and Hunting dogs,are behind additional fencing.

17. karoocheetah

The only parts of Knowsley where you must have your windows firmly up are the Lion Section & the Baboons - everywhere else it's fine to have them down.
    With respect to roaming the Tigers & Wolves are in separate enclosures that you do not drive through as such but around and they are behind a separate fence. In the lions you are in with them hence the windows up rule :D
    The Bird of Prey display in the winter months is weekend only (as the park is only open on weekends - except for the Christmas holiday week I think) and it is schedualed for 1pm - they only do one show in the winter, in the summer months there are additional shows. There is also a sealion show and there are European Elk in the Wild Trail too now.

18. karoocheetah

Christmas Period Opening Times

10.30am and drive shuts at 3pm usually - walkaround area is free in dec and drive is paid - temporary pay "shed" is installed on the 'airstrip' (approach to the main safari drive gates) - that will be the most unpopular job in the park on a chilly day I reckon!

December Opening times

Saturday 5th - Open
    Sunday 6th - Open
    Saturday 12th - Open
    Sunday 13th - Open
    Friday 18th - Open
    Saturday 19th - Open
    Sunday 20th - Open
    Monday 21st - Open
    Tuesday 22nd - Open
    Wednesday 23rd - Open
    Thursday 24th - Closed
    Friday 25th - Closed
    Saturday 26th - Closed
    Sunday 27th - Open
    Monday 28th - Open
    Tuesday 29th - Open
    Wednesday 30th - Open
    Thursday 31st - Open

January 2016

Friday 1st January Closed
    Saturday 2nd - Open
    Sunday 3rd - Open

19. karoocheetah

500 - Internal server error.

Short notice I know - but a cracking talk on the African Wild Dogs taking place in KSP tomorrow - details in the link! PS I know it says internal server error but it does actually take you there!