Join our zoo community

Knowsley Safari Park Knowsley Safari Park News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by JoeDK14, 3 Jan 2019.

1. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Before the 1:2 new arrivals in the rhinos there were 8 individuals according to Rhinos of the World. Now Knowsley`s blog states that they have the largest herd in the UK with 10? Has one of the original females been swapped/moved out or can i just not count properly?

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nomvula is no longer at Knowsley

3. gabryatfendor

gabryatfendor Well-Known Member

That's true. Rhinos of the World did not update it probably because the receiving facility has not published any official news on the transfer.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Embu

Knowsley are teasing the arrival of a new species via their meerkats and building blocks on their Facebook page. Anyone want to work it out what it is?

Update: Lego animals!!! Should have known better than to think this place would invest in exciting new species that are actually alive!!!!

Last edited: 15 May 2019
  5. Embu

Knowsley have a new website with updated species and appears fresh and inviting.

6. Embu

Over the past month there have been 0:2 wildebeest born, great news that they are both females!!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Cool, lets hope they survive, KSP have had bad luck with wildebeest over the years. Fingers crossed on that one. Can you tell me if there is now anything (bar lots of grass and nettles) sharing the European Bison area? Its been a while since I last visited.

8. Embu

I didnt realise there had been issues with the wildebeest so great news that these have survived.

There was the female moose in with the bison last year so I'm guessing she's still there unless she has now moved on.

9. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Going back over years they have had small numbers of wildebeest, they have had a calf or two then they all died (I may recall being told it was a virus but please don’t quote me on this). I certainly know that a few have died over the years. I would love to see 20 + wildebeest mixed in with the rhinos, zebra, Ostrich and Eland, it would look good.

Yes, Mrs Moose was in with the Bison last time I went around. I really think that section with the Bison and the section after the lion drive through with the Somali Wild Ass, old wolf home, old tigers home etc needs a real tidy up and sorting out, it reflects poorly on other sections of the drive.

10. Embu

As has been stated on Banham thread, Male Amur tiger Kuzma has transferred to Knowsley on loan for roughly a year.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is he mixed with the girls or not.

12. Embu

Kuzma is apparently regarded as "one of the most important male Amur tigers in the breeding programme". This is on the BBC news report on the birth of his cubs at Banham in 2013

13. Nisha

He only moved on Tuesday :eek: give them a chance!

pipaluk and Pootle like this.
  14. Nisha

That's because his mother was from wild bloodlines (from memory, I think she was born in a Russian zoo to parents that had originally come from the wild). She had Kuzma and his brother, got pregnant with her second litter and then tragically died (she had a seizure and fell into the enclosure pool before drowning). Kuzma's brother was moved elsewhere but has also since died.

Kifaru Bwana and Embu like this.
  15. Embu

Let's hope there is a future successful ending before he returns to Banham. I always used to wonder why they had 0:2 tigers and didn't breed with them. But since I've seen pictures of their new habitat compared to where I've seen them breeding was potentially not an option.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Samanthakmot

Samanthakmot Member 5+ year member

I didn't see the new male tiger yesterday, as I only had time for a quick(ish) drive, but it did look like they were mixing the male wolf with one of the girls (Morena, I think). Plenty of researchers and staff on hand watching. The lion drive was also fully closed which I haven't seen happen very often. It's usually open even if they're all inside.

The wildebeest calves looked to be doing well to my untrained eye, and Froja the moose was indeed still in with the bison who are currently moulting everywhere and looking a bit of a mess.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. Embu

Although he's been here a while the 1:0 Iberian wolf is called Carlos, just been announced on FB. It doesn't say where he's come from.

18. Embu

0:1 Congo buffalo has been born and the public have the chance to name her. The last calf born was a female I think that was last year.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. Samanthakmot

Samanthakmot Member 5+ year member

Newsletter and blog post from KSP have stated that rhino calf Jabari has died. Not much info until after a post-mortem. Absolutely gutting news.
    Sad news from Knowsley Safari

20. Embu

0:1 Roan Antelope has been born. Don't know what the current size of the herd now is?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.