Join our zoo community

Koala exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ssato, 31 Oct 2016.

Tags:
  1. ssato

ssato Member

Hello! Was wondering if anybody would like to share their favourite koala exhibits from zoos / private collections around the world?

Thanks!

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen many, but I like the one at the Los Angeles Zoo. It is sunny with real trees for them to climb around on, in addition to covered wooden platforms for them to rest on. They have been quite active when I've seen them.

The one at San Diego is quite impressive in size and number of koalas, with many tall, covered, pole-like structures for the koalas to hang on. I would guess that it works very well for the animals, although I would personally prefer a more naturalistic habitat.

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Moderator Staff Member

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member

I've only seen koalas at 2 zoos, London in the early 90s ( in what Is now a bat enclosure in the tecton Gorilla house) and at Edinburgh twice( 2009 & 2015). Neither exhibit was particularly great!

5. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

I like the Koala exhibits at Australia zoo and at David Fleay Wildlife Park, mainly because they have real, big gumtrees.

6. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I rather like the koala exhibit at Perth Zoo: Koala and Western Brush Wallaby Enclosure | ZooChat
    Koala and Western Brush Wallaby Enclosure | ZooChat

It has real trees and viewing from a semi-elevated path that goes around the enclosure. There are also Western Brush-wallabies in the area below the trees.

By far the biggest and most natural-looking koala exhibit that I have seen though is the koala enclosure located in Yanchep National Park (Western Australia), which is effectively just an area of natural woodland with a boardwalk going through it. Pictures can be seen on page 17 and page 18 of the Australia - Other gallery.

7. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member

I've only seen one koala exhibit. It was in the Minnesota Zoo in 1990 and the koalas were kept indoors in a nocturnal exhibit.