Join our zoo community

Kolmården Zoo Kolmården Zoo

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Swedish Zoo Fan, 11 Nov 2007.

1. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

Hey there.
    If you wanna know something about the zoos in Sweden, here's some info.

Kolmården Zoo and Safari is the biggest zoo in Scandinavia.

They have the biggest dolphinarium in Scandinavium. (It's the only one as well). Although, this show is more like circus, so i pass it when i'm there.

Another cool thing is their safari park where you can ride by car or bus and watch giraffes, zebras, antilopes, lamas, ostriches, deers, wild dogs, lions and bears.

New for 2007 is Tiger World, where you can see the tigers right in front of you. There's only a glass between you and the mighty tiger. In Tiger World you can also find dholes or Asian wild dogs.

They also have the monkey house, with chimpanzees, gibbons, pygmy marmosets and the only gorillas in Sweden.

And, they also have a huge savannah in the zoo part with rhinos, zebras, flamingos, antilopes, marabou storks and crowned cranes.

And of course, they have an elephant house too. In here, you can see the two Asian elephant females, the rhinos and meerkats. They had a big elephant herd before, but they were to old so they passed away. Here, Brahma, one of the biggest elephant bulls in Europe lived before.

You can also see snow leopards, wolves, prairie dogs, reindeers, penguins, sea lions, tapirs, maras, capybaras, parrots and domestic animals at Kolmården.

Well, you gotta come here sometime. It's a really cool zoo, but it doesn't have so many exotic species. Although, i've heard some rumours that they wanna have hyenas and pandas in the future.

You can keep your fingers crossed on that!!:D

Last edited: 11 Nov 2007
  2. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The former elephants didn`t die from old age. They were all infected with tuberculosis and were euthanized because of the disease! Brama was a beautiful bull from the pictures I have seen, but I was certainly not one of the biggest in Europe. Actually, he was relatively small for a bull of his age.

3. Swedish Zoo Fan

Oh yeah, i remember now.
    They died of tuberculosis.
    How could i forgot??;)

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know if the female gorilla 'Naomi' has had another baby since 'Enzo' Sweden's first baby gorilla, was born over a year ago now?
    Also, is the younger male 'Nasibu' still living in the group along with the Silverback and the two females and(re-introduced) baby?

Cheers.:)

5. Swedish Zoo Fan

^No, no babies yet. But don't worry, they will come!!

Oh BTW, next year, Kolmården will rebuild their dolphinarium and their seal, sea lion and penguin exhibits and then you will be able to dive with the sea lions.

The project is called Marine World and is supposed to open April 2008...:)

Last edited: 13 Nov 2007
  6. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

Yes, they're all together. For a zoo of Kolmårdens reputation and size, I accually think it's surprisingly bad. Not many interesting species, very unimaginative enclosures etc (the savannah is OK, and the size is good). The chimp's outside enclosure is really bad. I also think that their new "Tiger World" is pretty boring considering they spent almost 5 million Euro on it. The marketing was good though, but it's not a walk-though enclosure like they stated. I was really curious as to how they would solve that, since I read long before it opened that it was gonna be a walk-though enclosure with tigers. Now I know that they just lied (or more likely, don't know what a walk-though enclosure is). It's just a pretty normal tiger enclosure in to levels, one viewing balcony and a ground level viewing window. Nothing revolutionary about it at all.

7. Kwambeze

Kwambeze Well-Known Member

Kolmårdens Zoo is Best!

The Zoo in Kolmarden is so god. Bears, Euro Bison, Kamels, dhole Asiatic Wild Ass , Jak, Asiatic Elephant, Nilgau , Giraff, tapir, nandu, Vicunja, Wolf, Siberian Tiger, Bottel Nosed Dolphin, South African fur seal, Humboldt Pengunin, Capybara, Mara, end meny anther animal live in Kolmarden. Yes, redd pandas komming in 2 to 4 Years. And Hyena to i think. I Mail the animal chef Mats on Kolmarden and he mail my and ses "Pandas coming, but of Hyena coming is dont clare."

The Dolphinarium is Renovered end open first MAY 2008 , end TIGER WORLD is open 5 MAY 2007. The Redd Pandas coming to Live in the old Penguin Pool , In the Central Asia World. "Igemter" South Amerika and The Kids Farm.

The Safari is cool, thre you can see Lion, Moose, Deer, Sebra, Octich, Antilops, Giraffs, African Wild Dog, Alpin bex, Lama, Euro Bison and many ather animals. In the Safari Park live the Wolf and the Bears in same home.

The Tropicarium is out the park and have Aligators, Kobras, Sharks, Monkeys,
    Turtles, Rainforest, Birds, Frogs, Lizard, Snake, Anemone, Koralle and meny ather animals.

They have a 4 Star hotell with the park.

:)KOLMARDEN IS THE BEST ZOO IN THE WORLD:)

:( i dont can so mach English:eek:

8. Kwambeze

O No!

:eek:Im forget the Gorillas, Chimpannzes,Marmosets and Gibbon. They have little Gorilla boy with name Enzo, his Birth in 1 April 2006. The Monkey haus is very big, but the gorlilla home is small and with Concrete. Thats not god.:mad:

9. Pertinax

Hi....
    1.Is the mother of 'Enzo' pregnant again yet?

2.And do the two males 'Efata' and 'Nasibu' still live in the group together?

3.Is the younger male 'Nasibu' a grown up 'silverback' yet?

10. Kwambeze

Gorilla Family

1. I dont no, Kolmården are very secret!

2. I think so, Kolmården Zoo is Closed under the winter but i´m goning
    to the Zoo 6 January.

3. No, not yet , i think.

11. Swedish Zoo Fan

What??? Kolmården will have red pandas?? Tell me more rillekolmard....:)

12. Kwambeze

Red Pandas

Y:Des , i mail the animal chef on Kolmården in this week.
    They coming in 4-5 years and the comming to live in the
    old peunguin pool. I dont no more. :(
    But Kolmården thinking "Tematisera" Central Asia.
    (snowlepard, kamel, jak, asiatic wild ass)

13. Kwambeze

Red Pandas

Im forget! He ses 2-8 years.

14. Pertinax

Many thanks for your good answers to my questions...:)

15. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow! If it is true, it would be something top-of-the world.

Any more details?

BTW, in Canada there is some place with swimming pool separated by glass from polar bear pool, so people can "swim together with polar bears". About sealions never heard...

16. Kwambeze

O, cooolt!!!

very cool!!!

17. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Unless they manage to turn it into a circus, like they have done with their bottle-nosed dolphin show. I felt close to vomiting after i had seen that one.

18. Kwambeze

Kolmården are dont a Circus

Kolmarden have the best dolphin show in the world , toddy.
    You dont like Kolmarden fore the dolphins. What hapend
    of Copenhagen will have Dolphins???:D

19. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I like Kolmården Djurpark, but not their dolphin show! I am sorry to say so, but it is a cirkus show. A dolphin show (even though i dont' like the word "show") should be about education, and showing the visitors what dolphins can do, and how that reflects in their natural behavior.

Kolmardens' show is nothing like that, with music, flashing lights, cirkus acts and trainers that encourages the audience to clap along with the music! Kolmården is not the only ones with this problem. The show in Duisburg Zoo is almost as bad. The one in Nürnberg however, is both educational and informative, and i can highly recommend it.

20. Kwambeze

OK

ok ,,, thats can be little soma a cirkus...