Join our zoo community

Kolmården Zoo Kolmården Zoo

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Swedish Zoo Fan, 11 Nov 2007.

1. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

i think they are in the big savana with adax etc

2. carl the birder

kollmorden are phasing out there dolphins. this is to be done as the zoo is fockusing more and more one endegerd species. this will take a few years so until then you can still wisit.
    they also mention that they are planing on geting a new bear species as they are curnetly facing out brown bears, also pudu and a new giraff species/subspecies( i think they have hybrids now?)
    Kolmårdens delfiner på väg bort
    artical in swedish

3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to comments on here, they currently have hybrid giraffe; but have previously held Reticulated and Rothschild’s giraffe.

carl the birder likes this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They held hybrid females (FF Marion and Marillion) and allowed these to be bred to a Rothschild's bull.

In 2009 they received a reticulated bull in Garp/Jimmy (born 2006 in Muenchen). I seem to remember they changed already to part purebred reticulated herd, allthough I could yet be mistaken there.

You would have to check if they imported new giraffe post 2009.

(unfortunately my own data got destroyed when my erstwhile computer fried up ..., thank you thank you Apple without circular economy or repair and redress).

carl the birder, Antoine and Zoofan15 like this.
  5. masonstar

masonstar Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Kifaru Bwana

The first reticulated bull came 2003 and died 2007 - he produced some hybrid giraffes -two of them are Marillion and Marilyn (both are still there I think), he died 2008.
    2009 they get Garp and 2 females both from germany and another female from Dvur Kralove. All pure reticulate. The first pure reticulate birth was 2011 but the calf died some days later. The second birth was 2012 Zoe, not sure what happend to her. One of the females from germany died 2009, the other both think died 2015 - when I compared photos. Garp produced more hybrids maybe also one or two pure but not sure because infos and photos are not so good. 17 births i reconiced still he is the resident. Most of them - are lost track at my list....some of them still there.
    The stock still 2.6 hybrids and one reticulate (Garp)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

This is why I do not understand the current studbook and management. Kolmarden Zoo should have long ago changed completely over to reticulated giraffe and even with some dying that could have been sorted easily with new imports. Why allow a hybrid population to persist and breed.

7. Tankyboi

Tankyboi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Anyone have a photo of a lioness called grace potentially here

8. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm planning on going here in July when I'm in Stockholm. Does anyone know if you have to pre-book or can you turn up and get a ticket on the day? Any tips/must sees much appreciated!

9. Daniel Sörensen

Daniel Sörensen Birdlover Premium Member 5+ year member

It seems like you still have to pre-book your visit when I check the website and go through the "buy ticket" process. They want you to pick a day and entrance time - so I also, therefore, assume that you can not really buy a ticket at the entrance, but I might be wrong about that (I tried to google it in Swedish but not much coming up about that).

The "Safaribanan" cable railway is fantastic with a wonderful view of both animals and the amazing nature around the park, it's pretty unique!
    Also, I'm not a fan of dolphinariums, but they are becoming rarer and rarer, and Kolmården is in the process of getting rid of their dolphins completely - so it could be an opportunity to see a show "for the last time".
    But I am pretty sure both these things cost extra and have to be pre-booked as well.

No idea how long time you have at the park, but the Kolmården tropicarium outside of the park got some nice species as well - some pretty rare ones. Shortsnout scorpionfish, South American bushmaster, Striated fogfish, and Trahira are some species that are rare in zoos but are listed on zootierliste for Kolmården tropicarium. No clue about the visiting/prebooking system there though.

10. carl the birder

no both the safari and dolpinarium show is free. everyting is included with the ticket

JamesB likes this.
  11. carl the birder

acording to the zoos facebook the zoo now have two Darwin's rhea. i looks like they are going in the south american exbit with maras, tapir, kapybaras, and vikunja. they hade regular reas there before. so i dont think they have those any more?

JurassicMax and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I just uploaded approximately 140 photos into the gallery from my visit to Kolmarden Wildlife Park. An extensive review will be posted (in the next day or two) on my thread called: Snowleopard's 2022 Road Trip: Denmark, Sweden & Norway.

13. Keiikoa

Keiikoa Member 5+ year member

Bottlenose Dolphin ”Nephele” passed away mid january after choking on a piece of plastic seaweed that was used for enrichment :(

JurassicMax and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

Relating to giraffe: I think they had hybrids when starting and slowly had been changing to pure-bred reticulated giraffe. Perhaps, the breeding stop has allowed the hybrids to be replaced by phase out master than expected. I am glad they are finally changing fully to pure-breds only.