Join our zoo community

Ogród Zoologiczny w Krakowie Krakow Zoo News

Discussion in 'Poland' started by Kifaru Bwana, 18 Feb 2012.

1. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

A male ocelot (named Maurycy) was born in August and now explores the exhibit.

Also the new species is paradise shelduck (Tadorna variegata) - a pair comes to Kraków from polish zoo Leśne Zacisze.

2. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Just before the quarantine, a male fennec fox arrived from Ramat Gan Zoo in Israel.

Neva likes this.
  3. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Visited the collection last week, mixed feelings about the zoo. The collection especially the hoofstock and carnivores was very impressive. Unfortunately the reptile and nocturnal house were closed so missed a fair few species. Frustratingly the Tayra and Jaguarandi were no shows for me, would have been the first time seeing these. I've uploaded a load of photos to the gallery, happy to answer any questions.

Overall its definitely a collection that's trying to improve which can be seen in the newer exhibits such as the penguins and meerkats. Unfortunately some of the other newer exhibits lacked the space needed, especially for the Chimpanzees. There were plans up for a new Japanese Macaque enclosure in place of the old carnivore enclosures. Not sure what the time frame is on this. I can't help but feel the money and space could be better used for bigger enclosures for existing species.

Jungle Man and snowleopard like this.
  4. Marco Penello

Marco Penello Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have visited this institution a few days ago. It has the best cat collection in Poland, which is always been one of my main interests, so I was glad to see a lot of rare species. Also, other small carnivores are well represented (tayra, polar fox, bat-eared fox, binturong...), but the enclosures have to be improved, there are still small cages for most of the small cats/carnivores (especially the jaguarundi, the tayra, and the sand cat have too small exhibits...). The enclosures for big cats are recent, but there is too much iron (and concrete) and I would have preferred more natural habitats for them - even the situation is surely better than in the part. There are some nice enclosures for hoofstock animals, but I hope that they can try to mix some species to obtain more interesting interactions in large spaces. The chimps enclosure is terrible, but they will stop with the species, so there is no will to renovate it soon. The Nocturnal House is a little jewel with many beautiful species hosted in quite good exhibits. The elephant's enclosure needs to be renovated and they have the space to do it.

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The male chimpanzee moved to Plzen very recently, but those 2 remaining females still have no transfer recomendation, EEP is unable to find them new home. (some zoo wanted one of the females last year but Krakow didn´t want for the second one to stay all alone so it was declined).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any information on hybrid or subspecific designation?

7. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kraków doesn't give up with chimps. Zoo is planning new house and exhibits for chimpanzees and japanese macaques (on the site of former big cats enclosures)..

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What subspecies or hybrid origins have the remaining female chimps?
    What is the plan a New breeding group?

9. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry, I don't know but I suppose they are hybrids. I also don't know what origin the new group will be.

10. Mateusz

Mateusz Member

Construction of a new pavilion for pygmy hippos, chimpanzees and Japanese macaques and a new entrance to the zoo from the side of the wild cats is underway in Krakow Zoo.
    Additionally, a design for a new birdhouse has been developed.
    There have been recent changes on the enclosure. The paddock of the kulan was enlarged and the camels came to live with them. In place of camels there are now vicuna, while their place has been taken by a completely new species in Krakow (and probably the only one in Poland), the roan antelope. There are two females at the Zoo at the moment, the male will arrive in the spring.

Antoine, StoppableSan and Ned like this.
  11. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

According to Zootierliste there are roan antelopes in Zoo Safari Borysew since 2019.

Mateusz likes this.
  12. Mateusz

Mateusz Member

aramacao, Antoine and Haliaeetus like this.
  13. Mateusz

Mateusz Member

A new entrance to the zoo from the big cats was opened in late April.
    Drugie wejście do Zoo już otwarte! : ZooKr

The zoo received a positive recommendation from the andean condor coordinator to release a female that hatched a year ago. At the moment, the female is in a depository at the Zoo in Košice.
    Svetový deň vtáctva - Zoologická záhrada Košice

Three roan antelope have been on display at the Zoo since mid-April. The two females came to the garden in late 2021 from the Monte Sauvage Zoo, and the male arrived in April from the Dvur Kralové Zoo. In March, a female camel was born. In April, a black mangabey was born. A female penguin was also released into the enclosure, which was reared by the keepers. She hatched in December.
    Wiosenne nowości : ZooKr

Marcin likes this.
  14. Mateusz

Mateusz Member

I forgot one more thing. The zoo has taken up residence with capybaras. The 6 month old female came from Jihlava Zoo and the over a year old male from Hodenhagen Zoo. They settled with the nandu in the vicuna neighborhood.

Jana and Marcin like this.
  15. Mateusz

Mateusz Member

Recently, the Zoo opened an aviary for great curassow. It is located between the mini-zoo and the tiger enclosure.

We will no longer see caracals at the Zoo. The last one died.
    In May, one binturong left the zoo for a zoo in Belgium. The other is believed to have died.

A female ocelot and three servals were born at the zoo. In addition, two Indian antelopes, two camels, a reindeer, two ring-tailed lemur, three eland antelopes, a sitatunga, two Barbary sheep and a markhor were born this year. This year also saw the inclusion of little egret, australisian ibises, eurasian spoonbill, kitty, black swans and red-crowned crane.
    Lato z maluchami : ZooKr
    Malutka ocelotka :) | Dziś niepodzianka! Prezentujemy Wam Lilou, urodzoną 29 kwietnia ocelotkę. Staje się coraz bardziej samodzielna i odważna. Już nie chowa się za mamę i... | By ZOO Kraków | Facebook

A new resident of the exotarium is the eastern newt, which arrived from Riga Zoo.
    Atlantotryton zielonawy – nowy gatunek w egzotarium : ZooKr

Haliaeetus and twilighter like this.
  16. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Elephantelephant and Haliaeetus like this.
  17. Marcin

Marcin Well-Known Member

Elephantelephant likes this.
  18. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

19. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member