Join our zoo community

Zoo Krefeld Krefeld zoo news

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kiang, 6 Jul 2010.

1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Well, the dall sheep did not die of disinterest, but of illnesses favored by climate condtions whom they were not confronted with in freedom. Generally, however, many mountain ruminants are very prone to illness, which makes their husbandry in captivity very difficult.And because dall sheep and Rocky mountain goats were so little kept, you automatically shut out a disinterest? Well, if no youngsters are available, because you need the offspring yourself to maintain your own stock, it's no wonder that some animals like dall sheep and other species can hardly spread out in zoos.With other words - disinterest ?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

AFAIK the issue with Musk Ox was that they were kept only in pairs or small groups, which wasn't ideal

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Where are all these dead Dall Sheep then and how come many zoos kept them for decades if their captive population was so small from the beginning and birth rates did not exceed death rates? 1978-2019 for Krefeld.

~Thylo

4. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

I saw Krefeld's back in the 80s and they looked very well. Maintaining stock (from presumably relatively few founders) of any spp for 41 years is quite some achievement.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. gabryatfendor

gabryatfendor Well-Known Member

Has black rhino Nane given birth yet?

6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do they still have the highland anoa?

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Last I heard, yes.

9. Cat-Man

The last of their kind in captivity? Somewhat of a zoochat legend, up there with Baby..

10. Cat-Man

The last of their kind in captivity? Somewhat of a zoochat legend, up there with Baby..

11. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually there are plenty of mountain anoas in Indonesian zoos but outside of their range, it's very probably the last one indeed (certainly is the last one in Europe/America)

Cat-Man likes this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I gather there are a few mountain anoa in Indonesian zoos, the majority however seem to be lowland anoa. Furthermore, a debate is still running on anoa subspecies as we speak.

The Krefeld mountain anoa is the last representative in European zoos.

Jungle Man, Mehdi, AWP and 1 other person like this.
  13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2005 Krefeld had the European first breeding with the Smooth-fronted caiman. Then breeding stopped and it lasted till June 2020 when the female started to guard the nesting / breeding hill - a sign that eggs could be laid inside. Between Oct. 15 and Oct 20 then no less then 16 young were found in the enclosure and placed in seperate enclosures :).

Antoine, AWP, JurassicMax and 2 others like this.
  14. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Last Monday a California sea lion (Zalophus californianus) was born to parents Annie and Edu, this is Annie's third child.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Krefeld (17/06/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CQOpls0ItJA/

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

I visited Krefeld a couple days ago, in addition to the young sea lion, there was also a young impala born recently and a young kikuyu guereza. Besides, I don't know if it has already been reported somewhere, some species switched exhibits: the anoa is now in the last enclosure towards the gorillas, the muntjacs are next to it, and the nilgais are in the former anoa enclosure. The chital have moved in the former scimitar-horned oryx exhibit, and there don't seem to be any more blackbucks. I can't tell how long this has been the case exactly, since my last visit was over two years ago. Aside from that, both the snowy owl and ostrich are sitting on eggs at the moment.
    Oh and since I don't see it mentioned here, the former indian ungulate exhibit is currently being remodeled for mountain zebras, which should arrive this summer (no date given, however).

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think nilgai, muntjac and anoa are just exhibit fillers and will eventually be phased out, pass on (anoa) or leave the zoo in due course when the new primate building is finished.

StoppableSan and JoJo22 like this.
  17. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

You're probably right. I had seen the plans, but I never realized that this encompasses the entire area up to the bridge. Though considering how long building something usually takes in zoos around here, I fear it will take some years until anything significant will happen ^^

18. Pyrrhula

Pyrrhula Member

Two mountain zebras arrived at the zoo (1.1, both born 2019), another mare will join them in the future.

Kifaru Bwana and JurassicMax like this.
  19. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

On July 14th, a gorilla was born to Muna (her second young) and Kidogo. She is taking good care of it so far, and it is another male (it seems that all of Kidogos offspring have been male so far).
    Source: Facebook

20. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

JurassicMax, JoJo22 and twilighter like this.