Join our zoo community

Binder Park Zoo Kudu

Discussion in 'United States' started by MountainBongo, 5 May 2012.

1. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

I go to the Binder Park Zoo at least twice a year. I have seen every animal there including all of the small birds in the aviary, but I haven't ever seen the kudu. So has anyone here seen the kudu? If so could you post a picture? Thanks! :)

2. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

I saw the lesser kudu standing next to a solitary zebra last year. I didn't have enough space on my camera to get a picture though.

3. MountainBongo

So they have Lesser? I thought they have Greater! Do they have both? Thanks! What time did you see them and where in the field?

4. JBZvolunteer

Woops!! they do have greater kudu, only two females though. I saw them in the afternoon of my August visit this past summer, the like to hang out behind that worn down trail in front of the spot where the woods jut out giving the weird exhibit shape.

5. MountainBongo

Thanks! I think that Wild Africa could use some duikers and bongos in the RRH exhibit and make an okapi exhibt right after the small aviary. Then instead of the African barnyard make a wetlands exhibit with African spoonbill and shoebill with hippo/sititunga exhibit. Doesn't that sound alot better then just walking though woods?

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there's a photo in the gallery of the two kudu (from 2006 I think)

7. JBZvolunteer

I personally don't mind the farmyard but I would love for them to add more animals. I think if they wanted to they could build a leopard exhibit next to the duiker in the tree and add a wetland area across from the ground viewing near twiga overlook for the shoe bills. Then further in the woulds they could put okapi, and make a mixed exhibit featuring bongo, pygmy hippo, and diana monkey

8. MountainBongo

Sounds even better! I, going to the John Ball Zoo in 20 min... I'm going to post some pictures of the zoo so that the gallery on ZooChat is more then just a page!

9. JBZvolunteer

Yeah I have pics from my visit two weeks ago that I need to add.