Join our zoo community

La Haute-Touche project (speculative work)

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Haliaeetus, 11 Mar 2022.

1. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

Hello,

after a couple of months of absence in the Speculative Zoo forum, I'm back with the main project of the 2022 year, based on a refurbishment of the Réserve de la Haute Touche.

Before the description of the park and its exhibits I have to explain the context of this park.

It's a very large wildlife park (436 ha, even if all this surface isn't dedicated to animal exhibits), located in the département de l'Indre (Centre of France), owned by the Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle (a state structure) and open to the public since 1980.
    First it has been the "sister park" of the Ménagerie du Jardin des Plantes and the Zoo de Vincennes (both in Paris), used to stock and breed some animals in large enclosures (and in better conditions than in Paris).
    It has maintained numerous herds of antelopes, deer, goats and wild cattle.

The public status of this zoo means this park isn't directly dependent of the rentability.
    Thus it continues to exist for decades, with a large collection, primarily based on hoofstock, in nearly natural landscapes.
    But this zoo is clearly underrated and quite neglected, with a weak marketing (I'm not especially interested on it but it means less income for the park and the animals), the design of the enclosures looks basical and not very attractive for the "ordinary" visitors. For some aspects the collection couldn't be seen as very interesting : the overrepresentation of deer may not be very appreciated by the average visitor.
    I add that this zoo is located near the very well known Zooparc de Beauval.
    So the survival of this park may be imperiled in next years, especially in the hypothesis of a decrease of the State subsidies or a disengagement of the public authorities.

There are many reasons to present a project of refurbishment of the zoo in order to make it more attractive and complementary to other zoos (Beauval, for example).

There's the general map of the Haute-Touche Réserve :
    [​IMG]
    The first part is a "safari" where the visitors can see species of European wildlife (a car is needed to cross this zone).
    The "safari" concept could be a problem, as some people haven't a car to go to this place.
    There are issues with the access, the budget and also a contradiction with the message of sustainable development that the park would bear.
    And although it can be spectacular, a visit in car without explanations isn't the best way to discover the animals, their behaviour and their ecology (I've felt it visiting some safari parks).
    [​IMG]
    The second part is a more classical zoo, with large enclosures for hoofstock (European and exotic species), islands for waterbirds, monkeys and lemurs, and some enclosures for carnivores (wolves, tigers, hyaenas...).
    Additionnally there are facilities dedicated to the breeding of rare species of turtles and birds.
    A interesting point of this zoo is that there are two special trails in the "pedestrian" part : the white and the yellow (called "parc du monde" and "sauvegarde"), that would allow to design more easily thematical zones.
    [​IMG]
    I show you also a comprehensive aerial view of all the park, from the French public website Géoportail :
    [​IMG]

I add that I thought first about this project in late 2021, when there was a "challenge" (now closed) based on the management of a wildlife park.
    The idea to revamp such a park seemed interesting for me, as it would be possible to provide more space for the animals than in a "classical" zoo, AND to make the park more attractive for the visitors (that's needed to ensure the survival of the park).

From this base I've designed a collection of 300 species, living in a lot of large exhibits.
    I will retain the mix of European and exotic species (as in the actual park), and the involvement of the park in conservation of native wildlife will be highlighted.

In next days I'll present you a draft map of this speculative wildlife park.
    That will be the base of a project that could evolve and be incremented in the timeline.

I'll have other projects for smaller parks, that I hope to show you during this year.
    Nevertheless some of them would be very impressive ; I have especially the project of a speculative zoo in the estate of a (real) decaying, abandoned amusement park near Paris.

Your comments about this project are welcome.

Stay in touch !

Last edited: 11 Mar 2022
  2. Haliaeetus

Hello,

before the "serious" description of my zoo, I show you the draft maps of my speculative project, with a glance of the animal inventories (the lists of species below the pictures aren't comprehensive but they can show the main features of my project) :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1) European Bison, White Stork, Bean Goose

2) European Mouflon, Fallow Deer

3) Eurasian Wolf

4) Heck Horse, Heck Cattle, White Stork, Greylag Goose, Eurasian Crane

5) White Rhinoceros, Chapman's Zebra, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Ostrich

6) Black Rhinoceros, Springbok

7) African Savanna Elephant, Impala, Grivet, Common Warthog, Helmeted Guineafowl

8) White Rhinoceros, Black-backed Jackal

9) Outdoor enclosures for Komodo Dragons and Saltwater Crocodiles

10) Tropical Reptile and Amphibian House, Aquariums

11) European Ark (small mammals, reptiles, amphibian, fish and invertebrates)

12) Bird Show (from April to November)

13) European Birds Breeding Facility (Great Bustard, Stone Curlew, Doves...), Greater Prairie Chicken

14) Capuchin Monkey, Lemurs

15) La Cité Marine : Seals, Sea Lions, Manatees, Sea Turtles, Marine Fish...

16) South American Plain : Lowland Tapir, Guanaco, Mara, Viscacha, Common Rhea, Coscoroba Swan

17) North American Porcupine

18) White-tailed Deer

19) Musk Ox, Caribou, Trumpeter Swan, Eurasian Wigeon, Goldeneye

20) Oceanian Plain : Red Kangaroo, Swamp Wallaby, Red-necked Wallaby, Australian Pelican, Magpie Goose, Hawaiian Goose

21) Vicuna

22) Bighorn

23) Tasmanian Wombat, Tasmanian Devil

24) Oceanian Parrot and Bird Aviaries

25) European Mouflon, Alpine Marmot

26) European Wetland Aviary : Ibises, Herons, Ducks, Waders...

27) Pygmy Hippopotamus, Shoebill, African Aviary : Storks, Pelicans, Ibises, Hamerkop, Waders, Parrots, Passerines, Hyraxes

28) Pink-backed Pelican, Greylag Goose, Ruddy Shelduck

29) Brown Hyaena

30) Spotted Hyaena

31) Small African Mammals : Fruit Bats, Squirrels, Mongooses, Genets, Honey Badgers, Bat-eared Foxes...

32) Hamadryas Baboon, Mandrill

33) Lar

34) European Beaver

35) European Turtles

36) Coati, Ocelot, Uakari, South American Aviary : Ibises, Spoonbills, Curassows, Toucans, Lowland Pacas...

37) Hartmann's Mountain Zebra

38) Giant Anteater

39) Canadian Lynx

40) Bobcat

41) Puma

42) Southern Cassowary

43) Père David's Deer, Chinese Water Deer

44) Sunda Pig-tailed Macaque, Sulawesi Babirusa

45) Agile Gibbon, Lar

46) Sun Bear

47) Small Carnivores

48) Western Lowland Gorilla

49) La Vallée des Rapaces : Hawks, Owls, Eagles, Vultures...

50) De Brazza's Monkey, Red River Hog

51) Greater One-horned Rhinoceros, Nilgai

52) Sika, Eurasian Crane

53) Mountain Hare

54) Barbary Macaque

55) American Grizzly Bear

56) Eurasian Wolf

57) Cape Buffalo, Defassa Waterbuck

58) Kob

59) Southern Gerenuk

I maintained from the "real" Haute-Touche collection the large parks with many important herds of species, although I tried to create more mixed-species exhibits.
    The importance of native fauna has been comforted in the first part of the zoo (safari park) and in the second one (that is a more classical zoo, with pedestrian walks).
    I maintained also its vocation of a conservatory of rare species and the involvement of the park in ex situ and in situ conservation projects.
    These reasons drove me to display sometimes the same species in several exhibits.

I proceeded to modifications in the collection, one of them is the arrival of several groups of Rhinos and Elephants (plus Pygmy Hippos) in large enclosures. I added also forest animals (Bears, Gorillas, Monkeys, Pigs, Wombats, Tasmanian Devils, Cassowaries...) in the "woodland" part of the zoo.
    Some of the hoofstock species are very rare in zoos, I don't know if they have ever been in La Haute-Touche (but they lived, sometimes for decades, in the two other "sister zoos" of the Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle : Jardin des Plantes and Vincennes).
    Nonetheless some very popular animals (Giraffes, Flamingos, Lions, Tigers...) are absent from this current version of my project ; they could come next year or later.
    I added many large aviaries (with walkthrough exhibits, observatories) and buildings to house birds, small mammals, reptiles, amphibians and marine species, mostly absent from La Haute-Touche nowadays.
    Finally I added more restaurants, toilets, shops... for the comfort of the patrons, and I "doubled" the classical car track in the safari zone by a railway, for reasons that I will explain later.

Now I let you comment my first description of this Wildlife Reserve (especially about the enclosures and animal collection).

See you later !

3. Haliaeetus

Hello,

welcome to the 2022 speculative version of the Réserve de la Haute Touche !

As in the real version of the park, the visit begins with a 4,5 km drive-through circuit (first part of the map, n° 1-4).

Before the visit and immediately after leaving the road D 975, there are the pay booths and a quite large (3,3 ha) area with a car park and several service zone (children playground, café, gift shop).

You can visit the drive-through circuit either in personal car, either in a "safari bus" (represented as a train in the map) from the station.
    The safari bus trip is interesting for many reasons : the trips are commented so it's more interesting to discover the safari zone with this bus (the lack of explanations is for me a weak point of nearly all the safari parks), they stop in the most favourable place to spot the animals (some of the species are elusive and can easily be missed) and they are more consistent with the sustainable development message promoted by the zoo (assuming that it would be possible to come to the entrance without personal car, for example by buses or cyclotourism).
    The bus cabins look like large "cages" with thick wire, to allow the visitors to see the animals without glass (quite bad for the photos) and to avoid the possible attacks of them.
    There are departures every 15 mn from 10h00 to 14h00, the whole duration of the trip is 1h30. (I'll explain the trip back at the end of the description of the Reserve)
    The safari bus would work from April to October, while it would be possible to visit the safari zone in car year-round (the visitors being less numerous in winter months).

As in real life, the first part of the drive-trough safari zone would host only European species, a rare feature in the safari parks.

All the enclosures could be crossed in car/bus but their number would be reduced from a dozen to 4, displaying the animals living in large herds in open or woodland environments.

Nearly all the species are (or were) of conservation concern, except one or two birds.
    The complex history between animals and humans will be explained by a guide in the bus trips, from the Prehistoric times to the most recent rewilding projects and the regeneration of extinct taxa.
    So this part could be named as European Wildlife Safari, between past and future.

I can show you the real size and aspect of these enclosures :
    [​IMG]
    Open enclosure (Credits : Maguari)
    [​IMG]
    Woodland enclosure (Credits : Maguari)

Obviously the fences between the track and the animals will be shut down.

The first enclosure (1), that is the fusion of 3 former enclosures (for Red Deer, Fallow Deer and Wolves) is very large (12,7 ha) and mainly open, with some woodland areas on the Northern and Western fringes.
    We can see here the following species :
    • European Bison Bison bonasus (5.9)
    • White Stork Ciconia ciconia (5.2)
    • Bean Goose Anser fabalis (3.4)
    I add that the Storks can fly freely (as in other parts of the Reserve), and that some poles and platforms have been erected to allow them to breed (2 in this enclosure).

European Bison :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : BillBoy80)

White Stork :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Haliaeetus)

Bean Goose :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Daniel Sörensen)

The second park (2) results from the lumping of Ibex, Mouflon and Red Deer enclosures.
    It's a mix of open and woodland areas, with some slopes and rocky zones.
    In this version it would be very large (4,2 ha) but divided in two, only the front part could be seen by the visitors.

Now there would be 2 ungulate species :
    • European Mouflon Ovis orientalis musimon (6.5)
    • Common Fallow Deer Dama dama (9.3)
    The rear part (1,37 ha), off-show, hosts some of these animals, for now there are 8 of the 9 male Fallow Deer.

In 2021 three European Mouflons (2.1, triplets called ASCO, CINTO and BAVELLA) were born, for now they stay with their family before leaving the Reserve.

European Mouflon :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Fresco3)

Fallow Deer :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Fresco3)

The third enclosure (3) is the more forested. This 3,2 ha piece of forest has been once the Wild Boar enclosure, but now we can see a pack of Eurasian Wolves Canis lupus (4.0), the first of the Reserve.
    The wolves of this all-male pack are brothers, called ALBERT, ARTHUR, ALFONSO and ALAN.
    The tracks crosses their enclosure too.
    For them it's really interesting to make the safari trip with the bus, because it's used to stop near the most usual places for the wolves.

Eurasian Wolf :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Swampy)

Finally the last European enclosure (4) is a large 8,9 ha plain, on the model of the first enclosure, with some swampy areas.
    It lumps 4 former enclosures for Fallow and Roe Deer and it is dedicated to "proxies" of large extinct mammals, and also some large species of birds :
    • Heck Cattle Bos primigenius f. taurus (0.7, seven cows called HENRIETTE, HUGUETTE, HORTENSE, IZIA, IRENE, IRMA and JOSIANE)
    • Heck Horse Equus ferus f. caballus (1.1, pair called XAVI and XIMENA)
    • White Stork Ciconia ciconia (5.5, all of them are young pairs)
    • Greylag Goose Anser anser (3.4)
    • Common Crane Grus grus (5.2)
    The presence of recreated races of Cattle and Horses as proxies for extinct wild species could be surprising, but it's an interesting way to talk about the ecology of these former species, their importance for the humans (from domestication for people needs to their place in the myths and arts : we can mention the paintings of Lascaux or even the legend of the princess Europe, abducted by a bull and who has given her name to our continent !), and finally their place in contemporary rewilding.

The birds enjoy the swampy areas, the ponds, and the poles and perches especially built for the Storks (3 artificial nests are built in this enclosure).

Heck Cattle :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : German Zoo World)

Heck Horse :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : KevinB)

Greylag Goose :
    [​IMG]

Common Crane :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Macaw16)

In the coming days we'll discover the second part of the safari track, now dedicated to African wildlife (n° 5-8).

Now I let you comment these first exhibits of the Wildlife Reserve.

See you later !

Last edited: 21 Mar 2022
  4. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know it is speculative and more about having fun than being realistic but since it is an opening for criticism, I will start to say that it would cost a huge amount of money (especially for large exotic animals that need building and strong fences). I also think it is overstocked and does not take into account some modern exhibitry standards such as slowly-dissappearing presentation of flying bird in open-topped enclosures or even creating birdshows (that is more my opinion).
    On top of this, I find it a shame you did not try to keep some recent investments and success made by the park (quite significative relative to its very low budget) such as the Zebra/oryx and turtles savannah or the markhor and takin huge enclosure with a boardwalk for red panda and cranes.

I love this park and I had already tried to build my own plan that I can show now or after you are finished to show a more realistic (even if quite unlikely!) masterplan, taking more in account economic aspects that you mentionned (lost in the middle of nowhere, not far from Beauval, owned by public institution) that limit its development but also its current strengths (large and simple enclosures for hardy species and a low-cost model).

Haliaeetus likes this.
  5. Haliaeetus

Hello,

about your comments, I would add the following elements :
    1) According to me, not too many animals in this (speculative) park would need building and strong fences, except Rhinos, Elephants, Gorillas and maybe Bears (the latter don't need expensive buildings in my opinion). None of them are really exceptional in European zoos.
    The Cité Marine would be the most expensive building, I would add it to create a marine zone in the Reserve (but among the species, only Manatees could be really considered as rare in zoos, for a French point of view).
    I added also a real reptile house (such an installation doesn't exist currently in La Haute-Touche), an African mammal house (for Fruit Bats, Mongooses, Honey Badgers, Ground Squirrels, etc...) and a building designed for European small animals. Both buildings already exist, they look like mansions, but without any animal exhibit for now.
    Another reason can justify animal buildings : the visit would remain possible when the weather is bad (rain or intense cold), conversely the absence of covered structures in some zoos can be frustrating.
    2) I don't understand why you find the enclosures "overstocked" : the specificity of the Haute Touche is the very large space available for animals (even if the sight of the map could give the opposite impression). Most enclosures have surfaces of 1 ha or more, it isn't exactly the definition of an overcrowded space.
    3) Your comment about the "modern exhibitry standards such as slowly-dissappearing presentation of flying bird in open-topped enclosures" is the most interesting of them.
    Most birds of my project will be used in aviaries, sometimes very large with walkthrough paths.
    In open-topped enclosures there remain ratites (the privation of flight isn't at all a problem for them), a few pairs of Cranes and Storks, Pelicans and Waterfowl.
    I specified in my last post that the Storks can use poles and platforms to breed, that implies that they can fly, even if they prefer to stay in the reserve (because of food, for example). The display of free-ranging (and flying) bands of storks is very frequent in zoos.
    I think it would be possible to do the same with Cranes and Pelicans, with food and/or training.
    Finally there remain the waterfowl : I could assume that larger species (Swans, Geese...) can be able to fly but should prefer to stay in the reserve, like the previous species. For the smaller species it could be harder as they are more prone to hide or fly away, that can be hazardous because of the possible establishment of feral populations and/or the hunting activities, very present in surrounding areas. For these reasons there wouldn't be any free-ranging waterfowl smaller in size than the Shelducks.
    4) The argument about the bird shows is interesting. For me such demonstrations are interesting for the public that can discover the skills of different bird species, and can see them in a more dynamic and lively way than in the classical exhibits. There aren't circus-like shows without link to the natural behaviours of the animals, as they exist (or used to exist) for other species : Sea Lions, Primates, Big Cats...
    5) About the Zebra/Oryx exhibit, I haven't maintained it, but their sector remains dedicated to Zebras and Antelopes (three distinct enclosures for rare species, I had serious doubts about the feasibility of a mixed-exhibit).
    6) About the Takin/Markhor/Red Panda zone, the Asian theme hasn't been maintained but the zone is dedicated to mountain animals of different continents : Vicunas, American and European Mouflons, Marmots.

I hope I have answered to some of your questions.

I will describe the further zones of my project in the coming days.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2022
    ParathePineapple likes this.
  6. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you for the reply

1) You indeed quote the most important ones but fencing elephants, 3 rhinoceros enclosures is already a lot of money. Elephant barns are quite expensive, especially by modern standards and if you want to allow access to visitors for winter observation.
    If you aim at producing realistic plans, you should know that la Haute-Touche is close to nothing and will never have a winter attendance sufficient to justify opening during this period.
    Being public does not mean that money is flowing and that there is no need to reach a breakeven point. Creating a marine reserve in the middle of this beautiful forested park that would house non-threatened pinnipeds (for which excellent exhibitry is very limited) does not make any sense according to me. On top of this it makes a doublon with Paris Zoo that belongs to the same institution.

2) Well a good example is splitting this enclosure for zebra and oryx in three. That will destroy the biggest strength of the park that is the amount of space offered to ungulates and the unbroken perspectives.

3) Large walkthrough aviaries are also very expensive. Why not building one or two but more would be totally unrealistic for the park's budget.

4) I know what you was thinking about and it is debatable, I think this thread is not the place to discuss the matter.

6) To finnish, you seem to orientate the collection towards more ABC species while la Haute-Touche is a strong asset for many EEP by allowing to house large breeding groups of threatened species otherwise neglected by zoos (deers and goats especially). I am surprised to see that several threatened species that are the salt of the current collection were simply discarded to house common or non threatened species (like Markhor and takins, Nubian ibex, Formosan sika, Vietnamese pseudaxis (extinct in the wild), Mesopotamian fallow deer or the unique Siamese Eld's deer)

Last edited: 23 Mar 2022
    ParathePineapple and Penshet like this.
  7. Haliaeetus

Hello,

here's the next part of the Safari Trail, after the European enclosures.

The trail continues along several enclosures primarily dedicated to several species of Asian and African hoofstock (51, 52 and 57) whose most inhabitants can be seen from the car or bus.
    I will describe them later, with the pedestrian part of the Reserve.

We come now in the second part of the trail, with large African species.
    It begins with a 2,21 ha plain on the left (5), where we can see a mixed-species exhibit with the following animals :
    • Southern White Rhinoceros Ceratotherium simum simum (2.1, with the males EDGAR and ELIAN, and the female FABIOLA)
    • Chapman's Zebra Equus quagga chapmani (2.0)
    • Gemsbok Oryx gazella (0.5)
    • Common Impala Aepyceros melampus melampus (2.9)
    • Blue Wildebeest Connochaetes taurinus taurinus (0.5)
    • Common Ostrich Struthio camelus (2.0)
    Only one species has currently bred in recent years, the Gemsbok.
    There has been a male, recently transferred in another facility, that fathered 0.2 offspring, the young females BANTU and CATHY, born in 2021. They can be seen with 0.3 adult females.

The Impalas can be possible breeders, as well as the Rhinos. The other animals are maintained in bachelor or bachelorette groups.

I add that all the animals have separate quarters to avoid inter- and intra-specific conflicts (especially in the cases of Rhinos and Zebras).
    The main enclosure itself is separated in two, all the animals are moved in either the first or the second enclosure.

Southern White Rhino :
    [​IMG]

Chapman's Zebra :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Macaw16)

Gemsbok :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Ituri)

Common Impala :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : ThylacineAlive)

Blue Wildebeest :
    [​IMG]

Common Ostrich :
    [​IMG]

At your right, a 8.420 m² plain (6) hosts other species, one of them is iconic and highly threatened in the wild :
    • Black Rhinoceros Diceros bicornis (2.3)
    • Springbok Antidorcas marsupialis (1.2)
    The Rhino herd includes 1.2 adults (the male ZULU, the females AZANIA and BERTHA) and 1.1 young (the male BULA, son of AZANIA, and the female CLARA, daughter of BERTHA) born in 2021.
    The bull and the cows/offspring are visible either in the morning or in the afternoon.

The small herd of Springbok is non-breeding, it includes animals of overrepresented lineages.
    Breeding of this species isn't clearly a priority, as this antelope is common and not threatened in the wild.

Black Rhinoceros :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Ituri)

Springbok :
    [​IMG]

In the next days I'll describe the two last enclosures of the African part of the Safari Reserve.

Now you can post your comments.

Stay in touch !

8. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Nice job, you haven't abandoned your other thread, have you? As I mentioned on you absolute zoo thread, rarebreed animals would be interesting. I can PM you some potential candidates if you like.

9. Haliaeetus

No I haven't abandoned the other thread.
    The 2022 version of my absolute zoo will be released soon.

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  10. Haliaeetus

Hello,

we continue the Safari Trail of the Reserve, with the two last African enclosures, that display interesting mixes of species.

At your left there's the largest plain, with a surface of 4,15 ha (7).
    In this large enclosure you can see the following species :
    • African Savanna Elephant Loxodonta africana (0.1)
    • Common Impala Aepyceros melampus melampus (8.6)
    • Common Warthog Phacochoerus africanus (4.1)
    • Grivet Chlorocebus aethiops (5.10)
    • Helmeted Guineafowl Numida meleagris (0.12)
    The sole cow Elephant "ELLY" came from a circus, she has been sent here for animal welfare purposes. The arrival of other animals of this species could happen in the future.
    While she may feel lonely, the mix of other animals provide her some enrichment.
    The animal night house cannot be visited by the people, even in winter months when the Elephant stays mainly inside (or in the paddocks described later) : the other species can go out year-round, except during snowy days or strong storms.
    There are paddocks and pre-enclosures to separate some animals, especially the herd of Impalas : we can see alternatively a harem-like group (1.6) or a male bachelor herd (7.0) in the main enclosure, the other remains in one of the paddocks.
    In the plain, the animals can enjoy grassy and sandy zones, and bogs prized by the Warthogs. There are also trees that are the main shelter of the Grivets.
    Finally strong fences prevent the access of the Elephant to the trees (and eventually the damage to them) and offer a secure zone for the primates. A moat and hidden electrified fences separate the animals from the visitors.

The Impalas, Warthogs and Grivets could breed but it hasn't been the case in 2021.

Elephant habitat :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : pachyderm pro)

African Elephant cow :
    [​IMG]

Common Warthog :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Zoological Point)

Grivet :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Giant Eland)

Helmeted Guineafowl :
    [​IMG]

At your right the last African enclosure is a 2,5 ha plain (8).
    In this place, mainly covered with grass and sand, we can see two species :
    • Southern White Rhinoceros Ceratotherium simum simum (1.2)
    • Black-backed Jackal Canis mesomelas (3.5)
    The pack of Jackals is a family group that includes 2.0 pups born in 2021 (ZEND and ZAK).
    As it's the case for the Grivets described earlier, they can go in a restricted area, preserved from the hooves of the Rhinos.
    The night quarters of the animals cannot be seen by the visitors ; it doesn't matter as the animals can go out year-round, except in very bad weather conditions.
    The fencing principles are alike the last enclosure.

The Rhinos (the male ZULU, the females XHOSA and YULIA) are potentially breeders.

Possible look of the Rhino/Jackal enclosure :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : MagpieGoose)

Black-backed Jackal :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Ding Lingwei)

At the end of the Safari Trail, we leave the car or bus in a large grassy car park (2,8 ha), and we begin the pedestrian Trails.

The first Trail ("Parc du Monde") begins with a gift shop and toilets immediately after the car park ; soon the visitor can come in the Zoological Village (9-12), with several buildings and areas dedicated to the display of reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates, birds and other species.

But I'll describe it next week...

See you later !

11. Haliaeetus

Hello,

we just have left the cars/coaches to begin the pedestrian trail, with the first loop called "Parc du Monde".

At your left you can see two exhibits (9) of 190 m² each.
    They include a sandy beach, large flat rocks plus a 100 m² shallow pool.
    These exhibits are the summer enclosures of the Saltwater Crocodiles and Komodo Dragons.
    Both species of giant reptiles can be seen only in warm days, when the air temperature is above 20°C.
    If the weather is good enough, the doors of the enclosures are open and the animals can go either outside or inside.

Possible look of the outside reptiles enclosures :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : WhistlingKite24)

The following building (10) is the Tropical House.
    It's the first indoor exhibit that can be visited.
    This building is a former mansion with a "L" shape, two floors and 600 m² surface, with entirely refurbished inner parts (the external decoration has been maintained).
    Only the ground floor can be visited, the upper floor remains dedicated to breed and maintain off-exhibit animals.

The visitors come into the building by the extreme East (at the place of the snake image on the map), then they go along a corridor to the North-West of the building (at the place of the tortoise image on the map).
    There are 22 terraria and aquaria along the path, as well as many tropical plants of many shapes (including bromeliads, orchids...).
    These exhibits display many species of large and small reptiles, amphibians and land invertebrates. There's a rotation of the species displayed there, even within a year, especially among the smallest species.

In the beginning of 2022, the following species can be seen there :
    • 1) Grey Monitor Varanus griseus (3.0)
    • 2) Western Diamondback Rattlesnake Crotalus atrox (0.2)
    • 3) Tuatara Sphenodon punctatus (2.1)
    • 4) Gould's Monitor Varanus gouldii (0.2)
    • 5) Common Agama Agama agama (2.5), Sand Skink Scincus scincus (2.0)
    • 6) Black Mamba Dendroaspis polylepis (1.0)
    • 7) Long-nosed Tree Snake Ahaetulla nasuta (1.2)
    • 8) Boa constrictor Boa constrictor (1.3)
    • 9) Jackson's Chameleon Trioceros jacksonii (2.2)
    • 10) Texas Horned Lizard Phrynosoma cornutum (2.0)
    • 11) Komodo Dragon Varanus komodoensis (1.2 called QANTAS, RANI and SUMBA)
    • 12) Saltwater Crocodile Crocodylus porosus (0.3 subadult females called LARA, MAY and NENA)
    • 13) Axolotl Ambystoma mexicanum (9.6 including 8.5 young born in 2021)
    • 14) Red-eyed Tree Frog Agalychnis callidryas (2.5)
    • 15) Altum Angelfish Pterophyllum altum (0.0.8), Bronze Corydoras Corydoras aeneus (0.0.38), Bucktooth Tetra Exodon paradoxus (0.0.19)
    • 16) Four-eyed Fish Anableps anableps (0.0.9)
    • 17) Clown Loach Chromobotia macracanthus (0.0.19), Ghost Catfish Kryptopterus vitreolus (0.0.23)
    • 18) Sail-fin Molly Poecilia velifera (0.0.49)
    • 19) Surinam Toad Pipa pipa (8.10)
    • 20) Blind Cave Tetra Astyanax jordani (0.0.24)
    • 21) Goliath Beetle Goliathus goliatus meleagris (0.0.6)
    • 22) Banded Bull Frog Kaloula pulchra (2.3)
    I add that there's the project to transfer the Saltwater Crocodiles (adding a male if possible) in the Marine Zone when they will be too big for their current exhibits.

Some pictures of the animals and their exhibits :

Tuatara :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Jo Kuyken)

Tuatara exhibit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : gulogulogulo)

Gould's Monitor :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Mr Gharial)

Gould's Monitor exhibit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : snowleopard)

Common Agamas :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : vogelcommando)

Sand Skinks :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : RatioTile)

Agama + Skink Terrarium :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Moebelle)

Boa constrictor :
    [​IMG]

Texas Horned Lizard :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : UngulateNerd92)

Texas Horned Lizard terrarium :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Chlidonias)

Komodo Dragon :
    [​IMG]

Komodo Dragons' inner exhibit :
    [​IMG]

Four-eyed Fish :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : red river hog)

Four-eyed Fish tank :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : devilfish)

Sail-fin Molly :
    [​IMG]

Molly Tank :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : ralph)

Blind Cave Tetras :
    [​IMG]

Banded Bull Frog :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Peter)

Banded Bull Frog enclosure :
    [​IMG]

In the next days I'll describe the off-exhibit species of the Tropical House.

Now I let you post your comments.

See you later !

12. Haliaeetus

Hello,

now I would talk a bit about the off-show sector of the Tropical House, that raises a lot of herps, fish and invertebrates ; it's located in the first floor of the building.
    There's an elevator in the backstage to displace the animals, because there are many rotations among the displayed animals, even within a single year.
    The terraria and aquaria aren't small, but all of them are very functional, without filling other than the items required for the needs of the animals.
    Some of the animals have been seized by the customs, they wait for a replacement.
    Some of the species (Royal Python, Silk Worms...) may even be punctually displayed for short animations, for example to educational purposes.

The species are numerous in this place, for now the collection includes the following species :
    • Spectacled Caiman Caiman crocodilus (2.2 ; they may replace the Saltwater Crocodiles in the next years, when they will be fully grown)
    • African Bullfrog Pyxicephalus adspersus (5.0)
    • Royal Python Python regius (4.5)
    • Florida Redbelly Turtle Pseudemys nelsoni (1.3), Painted Turtle Chrysemys picta (4.5)
    • Desert Horned Viper Cerastes cerastes (0.2)
    • Common Basilisk Basiliscus basiliscus (1.2)
    • Ring-necked Snake Diadophis punctatus (3.0)
    • Shingleback Skink Tiliqua rugosa (3.0)
    • Hardun Stellagama stellio (2.2)
    • Madagascar Day Gecko Phelsuma madagascariensis (4.5)
    • Radiated Tortoise Astrochelys radiata (2.4)
    • Green Anole Anolis carolinensis (2.0)
    • Rhinoceros Viper Bitis nasicornis (27.17 ; there are 1.1 adults and 26.16 young, remaining from 0.0.47 offspring born in 2021 ; 1.4 young have been already sent to other facilities)
    • Marine Toad Rhinella marina (5.5)
    • Termite Macrotermes sp. (0.0.80000)
    • Atlas Moth Attacus atlas (0.0.5), Indian Moon Moth Actias selene (0.0.49)
    • Domestic Silk Moth Bombyx mori (0.0.35)
    • Velvet Worm Peripatus sp. (0.0.1)
    • Half-banded Loach Pangio semicincta (0.0.22), Three-spotted Gourami Trichopodus trichopterus (0.0.46), Kissing Gourami Helostoma temminkii (0.0.39)
    • Red Piranha Pygocentrus nattereri (0.0.1)
    • Spotted Headstander Chilodus punctatus (0.0.72)
    • Blotched Upsidedown Catfish Synodontis nigriventris (0.0.9)
    • Boeseman's Rainbowfish Melanotaenia boesemani (0.0.2)
    Now there's a small gallery of the displayed species :

Spectacled Caiman :
    [​IMG]

Spectacled Caiman Tank :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : gulogulogulo)

African Bullfrog :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Babyrousa)

African Bullfrog Terrarium :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Dhole dude)

Desert Horned Viper :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Antoine)

Desert Horned Viper Terrarium :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Antoine)

Common Basilisk :
    [​IMG]

Common Basilisk Terrarium :
    [​IMG]

Madagascar Day Gecko :
    [​IMG]

Marine Toad :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : AnaheimZoo)

Marine Toad exhibit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Moebelle)

Atlas Moths :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : AWP)

Velvet Worm :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : ronnienl)

Three-spotted Gourami :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : NRJMelvinT)

Spotted Headstanders :
    [​IMG]

In the next days, I'll describe a similar building, but entirely dedicated to European species...

Stay in touch !

TheGerenuk and Bengal Tiger like this.
  13. Haliaeetus

Hello,

after the Tropical house, a second building, slightly smaller (300 m²) displays only species belonging to French and European fauna (small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fishes and invertebrates).

20 terraria and aquaria are accessible to the public, the others are in the backstage at the first floor (like in the Tropical house).
    There's a rotation of the species displayed, but for now we can see the following species :
    • 1) European Polecat Mustela putorius (1.1)
    • 2) European Polecat Mustela putorius (4.2) including 3.1 young born in 2021
    • 3) Meadow Viper Vipera ursinii (1.1)
    • 4) Mediterranean Chameleon Chamaeleo chamaeleon (3.0)
    • 5) Common Wall Gecko Tarentola mauritanica (0.3)
    • 6) Edible Frog Pelophylax esculentus (3.15)
    • 7) Burgundy Snail Helix pomatia (0.0.65)
    • 8) European Perch Perca fluviatilis (0.0.82)
    • 9) Northern Pike Esox lucius (0.0.49), European Perch Perca fluviatilis (0.0.5)
    • 10) European Eel Anguilla anguilla (0.0.15)
    • 11) European Eel Anguilla anguilla (0.0.10), these animals are elvers caught in Loire estuary and displayed to the public
    • 12) Ruffe Gymnocephalus cernua (0.0.40) including 0.0.10 hatched in 2021
    • 13) Turtle hatchery (empty for now)
    • 14) Harvester Ant Messor sp. (0.0.92000)
    • 15) Centipede Scolopendra sp. (0.0.3)
    • 16) Conehead Mantis Empusa pennata (0.0.10)
    • 17) French Stick Insect Clonopsis gallica (0.0.3)
    • 18) Predatory Bush Cricket Saga pedo (0.0.4)
    • 19) Domestic House Spider Tegenaria domestica (0.0.4)
    • 20) Silverfish Lepisma sp. (0.0.13)
    The exhibits are thematized with topics about the ecology of these species, some of them being threatened (for example the Meadow Viper) while others are thriving in human habitats. The ecological preferences and the biology itself of these species are also valuable subjects of interest. Some topics as the commensal life and the domestication can be treated in this place.
    Many events are organized for school children about this more or less common wildlife.

Here's some pictures of the species represented in this possible collection :

European Polecat :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : twilighter)

European Polecat exhibit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Maguari)

Meadow Viper :
    [​IMG]

Mediterranean Chameleon :
    [​IMG]

Common Wall Gecko :
    [​IMG]

Burgundy Snail terrarium :
    [​IMG]

Common Perch :
    [​IMG]

Perch tank :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : German Zoo World)

Northern Pike :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : robreintjes)

Perch and Pike tank :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : lintworm)

European Eel :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Hanjo)

European Eel tank :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Snow Leopard)

Ruffe :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : birdsandbats)

Ruffe Tank :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : KevinB)

Harvester Ant :
    [​IMG]

Harvester Ants' exhibit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : snowleopard)

Centipede :
    [​IMG]

Stick insect tank :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : WhistlingKite24)

Centipede tank :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : Jake1508)

Silverfish exhibit :
    [​IMG]
    (Credits : FunkyGibbon)

I'll soon describe the "backstage" part of this building, with other species.

Now you can comment the exhibits and the species displayed in the building, ans ask me some suggestions.

Stay in touch !

Gil and Bengal Tiger like this.