Join our zoo community

Zoo Bassin d'Arcachon La Teste Zoo du Bassin d´Arcachon

Discussion in 'France' started by kiang, 11 May 2012.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

0.2 black rhino have arrived at La Teste Zoo du Bassin d´Arcachon (a zoo i had never heard of before now) from the Dvur Kralove zoo in the Czech Republic.
    The new facilities look very impressive, this is now the 3rd collection in France to hold black rhino.

NOUVEAUTE 2012 | Facebook

Other new arrivals this year include springbok, Congo buffalo, Kirk's dik-dik, demoiselle crane and a male siamang.

LA SUITE DES NOUVEAUTES | Facebook

zoo du bassin d'arcachon

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

The following is an excerpt from an article I wrote a few years ago about this zoo. It was published in International Zoo News, and described several zoos in this area of France. La Teste Zoo was not one of the finest!

A little further south, within striking distance of Bordeaux, is the rather odd Zoo de Bassin d’Arcachon. This is a wholly commercial venture, with some charm but, ultimately, little merit. Like Palmyre, it is located within a coastal pine forest, but it has little of the panache and none of the quality of its near neighbour, and consequently lacks the huge crowds which can be seen further north. What this place does have is a large collection of cats – I counted five separate enclosures for lions, for example, and four for tigers. There are jaguars and leopards, pumas and servals too, and while they all look to be doing well enough, none of their accommodation is state-of-the-art. Instead, there are a lot of very simple mesh cages, often adorned with slightly surreal furnishing (the largest lion cage is kitted out like a Roman ruin) or ‘enhanced’ by bizarre decoration (several of the animal houses are pained in a psychedelic style that might be described as California-surfer chic). There are chimpanzees on an island (new, apparently, but really pretty unexciting for man or beast); a single male elephant, ‘rescued’ from a circus and wearing an orthopedic shoe (the public were being invited to hand-feed this fellow, which seemed a fairly ambitious decision by the zoo’s management); some giraffes, zebra and hippos, viewable from a raised walkway; brown, Asian black and American black bears living together, apparently harmoniously; and quite a number of spotted hyenas. In tone and flavour, this zoo reminded me of some of those British collections which died out at around the time that Margaret Thatcher came to power, unmourned zoos in places like Coventry and Plymouth. The zoo’s marketing makes much of the fact that it is a place in which can be seen white tigers, white lions and white wolves. This says possibly all that needs to be said about the quality of this establishment.

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From the zoo's facebook page:

Today we inform visitors that the bridge black rhino was closed for the day, as Jane Lee, our female black rhino birth to a male cub of 42 kg which unfortunately did not survive childbirth (the An autopsy revealed that his lungs were not open)

Jane Lee is doing well and it is with great sadness that the zoo will announce this rare event in the zoo.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zoo-du-Bassin-dArcachon/176955072316072?ref=sgm

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo actually maintains a 1.1. breeding pair.

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Orangutans

Message #99 in the Dvur Kralove thread says that 8 year old male orang 'Besar' moved from that zoo to this one on 15 July 2013. Are there any other orangs here? It's not a zoo I've come across in any orang studbooks I've seen. I know that Dvur Kralove is temporarily not participating in the EEP.