Join our zoo community

Lake District Wildlife Park lake district wildlife park (formerly trotters) news 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by epickoala123, 1 Apr 2013.

1. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

so to start off the new thread......... Two ring-tailed lemurs have been born. I will update names when I find out.
    (There is a identical thread on the trotters world of animals(old) forums, which I made before the lake district wildlife park gallery and forums where created. so could a moderator please delete the thread on the trotters forums, not this)

2. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

The name change is rather uninspiring I have to say, though Trotters World of Animals was quite an odd title when it was first announced too I suppose. At least it stood out and grabbed your attention rather than the new name which is rather less attention grabbing!

3. epickoala123

The name change is for their 20th anniversary of opening (at the time of opening It was called trotters & friends pets farm (or something along those lines). The name change is because the park now holds more exotic species (thanks largely to the closure of southport zoo), but still holds a few domestics. the park is hoping that the park will now be regarded as a more serious wildlife park, and not the farm-like zoo it used to be.

4. epickoala123

And cartwheel the matriach ring-tailed lemur has ALSO given birth to twins! Two pairs of twins in 3 hours for the park : D

Edit: the two mothers are Cartwheel and Bella

5. epickoala123

Should be visiting the park next week, anything that anyone wants me to inquire about?
    this is my list already:
    confirm species in the main aviary
    check the number of junglefowl
    check for the number of mandrills
    check coatimundi info (sexes, source)
    check the wildebeest situation (source of the latest)
    check for signs of wildebeest breeding
    and the basics (arrivals, births,deaths,departures,general news, plans for the future)
    ask about pichi (although it is all but confirmed that they did not keep the species)

so anything I need to ask/inquire/photograph/observe?

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Find out the exact status of their steppe polecat, which were removed from ZTL after you said you didn't think you had seen them in a while - if they are gone, try to find out when they left so the ZTL page can be more accurate than the rough guess as to a time posted currently.

7. epickoala123

OK, I was planning to have a extra long look in that exhibit, And I'll ask a keeper what species they had/have, if it left, and if it did when;)

8. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Barry White CD cases, pile of post-coital cigarettes?:D

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Mandrills- as well as number, if you could also establish the total sex ratio including the younger ones if possible too, that would be most helpful.;)

Wildebeest- + sex of newcomer and which one died(male or female).

10. epickoala123

ok, I'll try to find out

11. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Don't see that. Wildebeest are more thrash metal, I'd have thought...;)

12. epickoala123

Notes on a visit, 9th of april 2013

General news:

• Cameroon sheep: 3 kids on display
    • Golden Guernsey goat:3 kids in main paddock, two secluded but still on show (In former tamworth pig)

Reptiles and small monkey house:
    Movement: Squirrel monkeys now also inhabit former geoffrey’s marmoset exhibit (they can acess both indoor and outdoor exhibits). Geoffrey’s marmosets now share exhibit with Asian forest tortoise (and have no outdoor access). This means that the iguana (s) are off show or have left the collection.
    • Eastern box turtle: An unknown amount (at least 6) are now in one of the reptile exhibits
    • Amazon tree boa: a unknown quantity of amazon tree boas (at least 2) have been given to the zoo by paington, and are on display in their own reptile exhibit.
    • Blue beauty snake: A single blue beauty snake (I can’t remember the gender, but I think female) is now in with Taiwan beauty snake and ridley’s cave racer.
    • There are now just 2 red-bellied piranha, after receiving 3 from the blue planet aquarium in 2011(?)

Birds of prey:
    • There has been a golden eagle egg laid, the park and therefore I don’t know if it is fertile yet.

Tropical area (top of the zoo)
    • 4 ring-tailed lemurs have been born (three of which have already been mentioned), so the park now have 21 (14.3.4)
    • A Asian small-clawed otter has died, by my recognition I suspect it is hutch, the elder, and the father of Buddha & sakri.
    • The coatimundis are STILL in a quarantine cage, although I don’t know if they have constantly been so since I saw them in it in October

African plains
    • One of the black wildebeest is missing it’s horns
    • Fallow deer are mixed in with grants zebra and kafue flats lechwe due to construction, and According to the map another animal will move into its exhibit. Due to this the red deer are not in there grass paddock.

Domestic area:
    • Cameroon and golden Guernsey births already mentioned
    • Jacobs sheep have taken up residence in the exhibit between ring-tailed and ruffed lemurs.
    • The soay sheep are now in the former dwarf zebu exhibit, so the dwarf zebu are now off show/left the collection.
    • Ankole, yak, pony: I saw in off show paddocks

13. epickoala123

Notes on a visit, 9th of april 2013. part 2

Part 2: future plans

Future movement according to the park map:
    • Wildebeest moving into mixed African plains
    • Emu moving into former fallow deer exhibit
    • Domestic yak moving into empty exhibit across from coati/lemur/otter/fishing cat

New exhibits under construction:
    • African plains: Zebra and wildebeest confirmed, perhaps lechwe and fallow deer.
    • Interesting paved road area being built, so red and fallow deer exhibits distrupted

South American exhibit
    • Meant to be for vicugna, mara, and rhea
    • I saw a large waterhole (filled) and stream system (not filled), being built.
    • A few trees have been planted

14. epickoala123

Notes on a visit, 9th of april 2013. part 3, on-show species list

Species list as of 9/4/13

Alpaca (2.0) Brazilian tapir(1.1) capybara (4) meerkat yellow mongoose {little egret
    Hadada waldrapp laughing kookaburra Red junglefowl } white sussex’s swinhoe’s pheasant
    Lady amherst’s pheasant golden pheasant eastern crowned crane(1) golden Guernsey goat
    Cameroon sheep crested porcupine(2) {white cockatoo(1) citron-crested cockatoo(1)}
    Asian palm civet(2) {geoffrey’s marmoset Asian forest tortoise(1)} cotton-top tamarin
    Common squirrel monkey (7) eastern chipmunk green-winged macaw(1)
    {yellow anaconda(2) boa constrictor}
    {ridley’s cave racer(1) Taiwan beauty snake(2) blue beauty snake(1)} eastern box turtle
    Pine snake(1) amazon tree boa whites tree frog Chilean rose tarantula(1)
    African spurred tortoise red piranha(3)
    Common buzzard barn owl white faced scops owl bald eagle golden eagle tawny eagle
    Crested caracara striated caracara yellow headed caracara turkey vulture lanner falcon
    Lar gibbon brown capuchin black and white ruffed lemur jacob’s sheep mandrill
    Ring tailed lemurs (21( 14.3.4) Asian short clawed otter (2) red ruffed lemur (0.2)
    Asian fishing cat coati black wildebeest(2) serval (1.2) {emu greater rhea}
    {Kafue flats lechwe grants zebra fallow deer } white stork striped skunk wild boar (0.1)
    Bengal eagle owl soay sheep north Eurasian lynx (2) domestic donkey Patagonian mara
    Vicugna

{ } shows a mixed exhibit and the species in the mixed exhibit

15. epickoala123

lake district wildlife park have made a swap deal with longleat safari park. Exchanging marty the young zebra stallion, for longleat's zebra stallion 'Daan'

16. Pertinax

Were you able to find out where the replacement Wildebeest came from (Marwell or Newquay) or whether its a male or female?

17. epickoala123

No, sorry. I asked 2 keepers all three questions, and neither could answer any of the three questions:rolleyes:

18. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

Any idea of the numbers of mandrill, sex ratio of that species and if they breed well up there?

There was a time a few years back when the mandrills wouldn't use the outdoor enclosure much, have they got used to it now?

19. epickoala123

That was one of the questions I asked 2 keepers, and one of the questions neither could answer:rolleyes: (the sign just said large group)

I wouldn't say they're totally used to it, but the numbers going outside are increasing.

20. Pertinax

I would think they are totally used to it- but just don't like using it much if its an open area- fairly common for Mandrills as they are essentially forest -livers.

Regarding numbers- could you not see or rough-count them?:confused: