Join our zoo community

Lake Superior Zoo Lake Superior Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by TZFan, 3 Dec 2013.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Milwaukee Man

3. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was there last summer,and , i must admit im somewhat relieved that there is positivity about a new zoo plan as the folks there were worried that the zoo might close altogether.As NSU42 states there is/was a lot of open space on a fairly small site,obviously it would have been better to have a BIGGER zoo rather than a smaller one,and the area in general is not short of country walks/trails,however, better to have a smaller, revamped, reinvested zoo than none at all.Great area incidentally..I loved it.

4. Milwaukee Man

5. Milwaukee Man

6. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lake Superior Zoo CEO announces resignation
    Leet will step down for family reasons, consult with zoo board in transition

DULUTH—Lake Superior Zoo CEO Corey Leet announced today that he will resign for family reasons and will advise the Lake Superior Zoological Society Board of Directors as a consultant while the search for a new leader is underway.

“It is with regret that I must make this decision and step down from what really has been a dream job for me,” Leet said. “But the needs of my family must come first. I appreciated the confidence that the board and the citizens of Duluth placed in me to run the zoo. I appreciate their understanding now that my family obligations have called me away.”

Leet began work as CEO on Jan. 2 following an executive search that included candidates from across the country. He replaced interim CEO Julene Boe, who had served since February 2016.

Though Leet had been working full-time at the zoo, his wife and children had remained at their home in suburban Minneapolis, awaiting the end of the school year. Before coming to the zoo, Leet had worked as research operations manager at Medtronic in Coon Rapids, Minn.

The Zoological Society, which runs the zoo under a long-term contract with the City of Duluth, thanked Leet for his work to put the zoo on track for enhanced operational and financial health. The zoo is in the early stages of $15 million redevelopment plan, created jointly by the city and the zoo board, which calls for new attractions and animal exhibits. The plan is the first major capital investment at the zoo in a generation.

“In his short time at the zoo, Corey has been a positive force for operational improvements and for moving ahead with the capital plan,” said Diana Bouschor Dodge, president of the zoo board. “While we are sad to see him go, we know that his family must come first. We will begin immediately searching for a new zoo CEO.”
    Dodge said Leet has agreed to advise the board and the zoo staff as a consultant during the transition period.

Duluth’s Lake Superior Zoo is the only zoo in northeast Minnesota and northwest Wisconsin. Since 1923, it has provided up-close animal experiences that inspire connections to wildlife and action towards conservation. The zoo’s picturesque property includes rocky hillsides, majestic pines and beautiful Kingsbury Creek. It is one of the region’s most popular year-round attractions. For more information, visit LSZooDuluth.org or call 218-730-4500.

9. NSU42

The Duluth city council approved $200,000 in funding for the zoo, which will hopefully allow it to continue to work towards their goal of rebuilding the zoo and reducing it's footprint. Sounds like there was some heated debate/conversation with one council member calling the zoo "pathetic."

Duluth City Council approves more funds for zoo, fire depart...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, a whole lot: brown bears back plus new lynx and snow leopard digs.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  13. NSU42

Just found an article looking at the zoos current plan moving forward. It sounds like they have abandoned the idea that was being floated out a few years ago of redesigning the zoo and shrinking its area. They plan to open a new exhibit called "Bear Country" in two phases. The first phase opens this fall according to the zoo map and phase two will open next summer.

I do have a little bit of a concern with these plans though. "Bear Country" appears to be in the same footprint as the old brown bear exhibit and Polar Shores, along with the deer paddocks nearby. That and the fact that the article is using the word "refurbished" to describe what the zoo is doing to bring bears back leads me to believe that the zoo is doing the minimum to get these exhibits back up to AZA standards, which saddens me as the brown bear habitat was down right awful when I visited and it was still open and Polar Shores did not look any better (although I never visited before that exhibit closed down and have just seen it without animals).

How much will this zoo actually be able to do on maybe $3 million ($1.9m from the state, $400k from city for design firm, and I saw at least one article about donations) at most in terms of opening a new exhibit? Especially since it sounds like the director wants to bring both brown bears and polar bears back (although it doesnt say that specifically about the polar bears, just sounded like it).

I can't find much more information on the new Bear Country exhibit, such as a layout or designs. Does anyone else have anymore information on this?

Zoo, aquarium await upgrades | Duluth News Tribune

14. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

The zoo has received orphaned brown bears and pumas. They are currently on site and will apparently be exhibited this fall once the first phase of the "Bear Country" renovations are completed.

New at Lake Superior Zoo

The first phase of renovations consists of the former puma and brown bear exhibits on the far side of the creek that flooded in 2012, which consist of two fairly sizable but unnatural carnivore grottos. I'm not sure if the renovations include addition natural substrate and landscaping or if they only are updating holding, safety features, etc.

The second phase of the "Bear Country" renovation is in bidding stage. This will be a renovation of the former Polar Shores complex. The Polar Bear, Harbor Seal, and Penguin exhibits are all going to be combined into a fairly large single exhibit, with the addition of soft substrates. Once this is finished the brown bears will move here, and presumably the current brown bear exhibit will get a new species (American black bears?). Polar Shores formerly had one or more small animal exhibits as well, so there's a possibility that an additional species or two might be brought in if these are renovated as well.

15. NSU42

I visited in August and grabbed this picture of the site plans for where Polar Shores currently sits. It does not appear to include any of the smaller exhibits, but who knows. I also couldn't find any real details about what is happening in these renovations, which as I said before worries me they are just going to largely stick with the grottoes that are already there.

Attached Files:

Gondwana and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  16. Milwaukee Man

17. Milwaukee Man

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  18. NSU42

The article the previous article referenced: Our View: Next year is 'make or break' for Duluth's Lake Superior Zoo | Duluth News Tribune

I have a few thoughts on it. I think the jump in attendance numbers is really lofty. Even with the new exhibits opening. I understand attendance used to be higher, but Duluth and the surronding area is a place who's population is decreasing and economy is struggling as more mines in the Iron Range close. It just doesn't seem likely to jump that much. Even if it does, I don't think it will last. The break even number or maybe 10k+ above that seems more reasonable.

My other fear is one I've already stated here. The "new" exhibits they are opening will be pretty much the same as the ones that were already there, cement-filled grottos. From this article it continues to sound like all the renovations are doing nothing to the actual exhibits to make them more natural.

Last but not least, it seems like the city and zoo have an identity crisis. As is talked about many times on this site, the majority of visitors to zoos are locals. This article keeps talking about it like its a major tourist attraction for the area and competing like one. Unfortunately, the majority of people going to Duluth are not going there for the zoo, nor even know there is one there. The zoo needs to shift its focus back to getting the local community involved. The zoo does have some things that the other zoos in MN don't offer, such as there nocturnal house and a better Australian area, but that is not enough for tourists to make it a destination.

The article does also mention a few other anmials coming to these new exhibits, including wolves and river otters.

19. Gondwana

Gondwana Well-Known Member

Good points. You are absolutely right that the zoo really isn't a tourist destination and should focus on catering to local needs. It is not close to the main tourist areas on Lake Superior, and is not along a route to/from any major destinations either. Any tourists who want to visit an animal attraction in Duluth are almost invariably going to wind up at the Great Lakes Aquarium, which is in the main tourist zone and sits directly along the main highway.

I do think the zoo is on the right track though. Even though the renovations being done appear to be minor, they do accomplish several key things that help remove the sense that the zoo's status is precarious. Bringing back bears (and three other carnivores), which were the zoo's most popular animals, is obviously a big plus. I think it's even more important that the renovations improve the major run down and abandoned exhibit areas. Just these improvements should make 100000 visitors feasible, though I agree getting much above that will probably take additional improvements. I believe the zoo's next goal is to renovate or replace the main building. If they are ever able to secure funds to do that, I'd imagine they would include amenities like an improved cafe and a kids play area that would give locals a reason to visit in winter and make another jump in attendance possible.

StoppableSan, Kifaru Bwana and NSU42 like this.
  20. Milwaukee Man

NSU42 and Kifaru Bwana like this.