Join our zoo community

Lakeland Wildlife Oasis Lakeland Wildlife Oasis News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 31 Jan 2018.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

What species is Large Rat?

2. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Gambian Pouched Rat

Chlidonias likes this.
  3. Ant

Ant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any idea what new species will be going outside?

4. Zooreviewsuk

In fear of saying something I shouldn't, I can't really say on here. I'm sure they will release an update on Facebook shortly, but I don't think it would be right for me to say on here.

5. Zooreviewsuk

Work has started on the Reptile House improvements. There are 2/3 exhibits being designed and one changed. There are currently access to the Reptile area, but there will be a lot of work going on over the next couple of months. They are hopeful that it will be completed for Christmas will a couple of new species on show. Wont say too much, but there could be something exciting and new to the collection ;)

They have started to mark out the land for the African Section outside, which will include an impressive African Bird Aviary (Not sure what species yet, but would expect it to be Ibis and something else. Blue Cranes will also move into this exhibit. Plus Dik Dik will be joining the collection for this exhibit. There will be a indoor section as well. It is going to be where the Mara Paddock and Pond is at present, and when completed should look something like Little Africa does at the Cotswold Wildlife Park.

Mara will probably go back to free roaming.

A pair of Black Curassow are now on show in the Tamarin enclosure. They are siblings but in time the Zoo hopes to exchange one of them to get a breeding pair.

The new African section will hopefully be finished for Easter next year.

Snow Crystal the baby Snow Leopard is a very cubby lad now and is becoming some size!

Baby Meerkats are nearly as big as their parents now, whilst the 2 baby Marmosets have now left their mothers back.

6. Ant

Do u know if they are still looking at putting something where the old lemur enclosure used to be and letting the wallabies roam free to create a new exhibit where they are at the moment?

7. Zooreviewsuk

I can't think where the former Lemur enclosure was? If you mean just past the Fossa before the Wallaby's there's no plans for that bit of land yet.

Wallaby's will stay in their exhibit for now, they may move the Potoroo's in with them though, which will open up two indoor exhibits for new species.

8. Ant

I was just going off yr review at the beginning of the thread where you mention the possibility of getting red panda/ small carnivore in the future

9. Zooreviewsuk

They will in the future, but it's not viable at present. The waiting list for Red Panda's is very very long, plus earlier this year they had a lot of bad flooding so they've had to do work on that area and so on.

The African Exhibit and the revamp of the Indoor Reptile section is currently top of the agenda, once these are completed, they may look at that area for the next exhibit.

Kifaru Bwana and pipaluk like this.
  10. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sadly for LWO, it's a 10 year waiting list for Red pandas... Unless they're high up on the list?

Last edited: 10 Nov 2018
    Zooreviewsuk likes this.
  11. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm quite surprised at this given a lot of places hold them and even if only a fraction of them bred there would still be a steady flow of new animals for new holders. Maybe that's offset by massive demand though?

12. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

I was told by a keeper at Exmoor Zoo about the length of the waiting list for Red pandas - evidently everyone wants them!

TNT likes this.
  13. Ant

On their Facebook page it shows they have started work on the new Africa section which should be ready for May, there is a sign with layout and species.

14. Ant

Recent additions include Lilac Rollers, Von De Deckers Hornbill, Azaris Agoutis and Large hairy armadillo

TNT and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. Ant

3 cotton top tamarins have arrived.

16. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Update on the zoo - 1.0 Greater hairy Armadillo, 3.0 Cotton top tamarins', 1.0 Kirk's dik Dik, colony of Naked mole-rats, 1.0 Red crested turaco.

I know some species are named above, but this clarifies sexes.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2019
    pipaluk and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  17. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Naked mole-rats?

TNT likes this.
  18. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A vlog showing the fantastic improvements and impressive collection of species at Lakeland Wildlife Oasis;

It's small yet enormously pleasant places like this that often get overlooked when people decide they want to support zoo's by visiting or making donations.

The zoo's website can be found here The Lakeland Wildlife Oasis where you can pre-book tickets or make a donation if you wish.

Jungle Man, catfan and TNT like this.
  19. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

Great video walk through, thanks a lot.
    Do they not have slow worm on display anymore?

20. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Male fossa Manakara, has been moved to a new home in Holland to be paired with a female:

Kifaru Bwana likes this.