Join our zoo community

Land of the Rising Sun, 2016

Discussion in 'Japan' started by CGSwans, 31 May 2016.

1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Osaka Aquarium brought to a close the planned roster of zoo visits for my Japan trip. A recurrent theme, however, was that I allowed more time in each location than I really needed. So it was that I found myself at a loose end in Kyoto.

With the memory of Tennoji fresh in mind, it took some contemplation before I decided to visit Kyoto City Zoo. Tennoji was a larger, more prominent zoo and if I had been disappointed there, what chance did Kyoto - for which there is little positive press that I could find - have of pleasing me? Well, I suspect having such low expectations influenced my experience, because I found it a pleasant surprise.

That's not to say that there aren't problems. It's only a pocket-sized zoo of less than four hectares, but it houses most of the big ABC animals. That, by necessity, means that some of the animals are in tiny, tiny enclosures. A visitor to Kyoto confronts that reality almost immediately upon entering the front gate, where the first set of exhibits is an elderly complex of big cat cages. Lions, Siberian tigers and jaguars (one normal, one melanistic) - I think about seven cats in total - occupy an inter-connected set of pens arrayed around a night den.

The cages are perhaps of a size that would be considered generous for small cats, but for the species exhibited they are simply too small. I will say in the zoo's defence, however that each of the cages contained clear signs of an active enrichment program; climbing platforms, hanging balls to bat away at and chains on which meat could be hung to make them work for their food. Ultimately the complex is plain inadequate, but at least they are doing their best. The population should be reduced to perhaps two cats which could then have access to half of the pens each. Also in this set of exhibits is a Tsushima leopard cat, but unfortunately I had no greater luck here than at Zoorasia.

Moving clockwise around the zoo the next zone I came to was a relatively new section featuring Japanese wildlife, with a couple of pleasant communal aviaries, a row of cages for small mammals (I think the Japanese badger, raccoon dog and giant flying squirrels were here), postage-stamp pens for goral and serow, a little reptile house and some bird of prey cages. The mammal pens and cages are right up against the outer fence of the zoo, and it's strange to see cars zipping past no more than 5m away from where you're standing in the middle of an exhibit complex.

Risibly, there was also a cage perhaps the size of a minibus - no more than half as spacious as the tiger cages I have already criticised - that was labelled for a Japanese brown bear. It was clear there was no bear there, and that's fortunate; seeing it occupied would certainly have dulled my satisfaction with the zoo. Hopefully the bear, whatever happened to it, is not replaced.

The rest of the zoo is for the most part surprisingly solid. A herd of elephants have a modest but relatively modern pair of paddocks (including one for a bull); a sign says that they were imported from Laos in 2012. A small tropical house contains the bulk of the reptile collection, some typical nocturnal house-style cages for pro-simians and a sloth, who had the run (err... in slow-motion) of the building but presumably stuck to its branches. A couple of sterile looking aviaries outside housed macaws.

There's the usual preponderance of owls, which seem to be a major feature of Japanese collections. Other aviaries housed peacocks and, somewhat redundantly, emus. The African Savannah (just giraffes and zebras) is on the ugly side, with a high fence surrounding most of it. A solitary hippo has a small pool and smaller land area.

One thing I've noticed is that Japanese zoos have a love of overhead passageways for their animals. There were the moles at Tama and squirrels at Ueno, but Kyoto takes it to a new level. There is an above-ground tunnel between a couple of the tiger pens, which is the only way that cats could be moved between the night dens and one of the cages which is separated from the building by a visitor path. Red pandas have access to another branch over the path, and rather hilariously so do the goats in the children's farm area. That is the one and only time that I ever intend to look up and find a goat above my head.

This is the one zoo for which I seem to still have a species list. I think it's reasonably complete, though for some of the birds and reptiles I have relied on signs.

Asian elephant
    Grevy's zebra
    Brazilian tapir
    Giraffe
    Hippopotamus
    Japanese deer
    Long-tailed goral (Japanese serow?)
    African lion
    Siberian tiger
    Jaguar
    Tsushima leopard cat
    Japanese red fox
    Fennec fox
    Bush dog
    Raccoon dog
    Red panda
    Meerkat
    Japanese badger
    Gorilla
    Chimpanzee
    Lar gibbon
    Mandrill
    Rhesus monkey
    Brown capuchin
    Ring-tailed lemur
    Senegal galago
    Lesser slow loris
    Cape hyrax
    Indian flying fox
    Four-toed hedgehog
    Linne's Two-toed sloth
    Japanese giant flying squirrel
    Japanese squirrel

Humboldt's penguin
    Emu
    Greater flamingo
    Lesser flamingo
    Chilean flamingo
    Caribbean flamingo
    Northern bald ibis
    Unlabelled ibis check
    White-bellied green pigeon
    Eastern turtle dove
    Scarlet macaw
    Buffon's macaw
    Salmon-crested cockatoo
    Sulphur-crested cockatoo
    White-cheeked turaco
    Plain chachalaca
    Ural owl
    Snowy owl
    Eagle owl
    Burrowing owl
    Peregrine falcon
    Northern goshawk
    Mountain hawk-eagle
    Red-crowned crane
    Sarus crane
    Indian peacock
    Japanese grey pheasant
    Chinese bamboo partridge
    Helmeted guineafowl
    Japanese quail
    Ruddy kingfisher
    White's thrush
    Pale thrush
    White-cheeked starling
    Brown-eared bulbul
    Black-necked stilt
    Japanese green woodpecker
    White-cheeked pintail
    Common teal
    Mallard
    Common goldeneye
    European pochard
    Baikal teal
    Eurasian wigeon
    Bar-headed goose
    Mandarin duck
    Tufted duck
    Black-headed gull

West African dwarf crocodile
    New Guinea snake-necked turtle
    Painted turtle
    Black-knobbed map turtle
    Yellow-spotted river turtle
    Japanese pond turtle
    Reeve's turtle
    Soft-shelled turtle
    Yellow pond turtle
    Yellow-margined box turtle
    Red-footed tortoise
    Elongated tortoise
    Pancake tortoise
    Indian star tortoise
    Green iguana
    Eastern blue-tongued skink
    Madagascar day gecko
    Leopard gecko
    Ball python
    Kenyan sand boa
    Boa constrictor
    Western hognose snake
    Japanese ratsnake
    Japanese striped snake
    Milk snake
    Mamushi

Green and Black poison frog
    Wide-mouth frog
    Japanese common toad
    Japanese giant salamander
    Japanese newt

Striped bitterling
    Tilapia(?)

2. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Tama's mole house is now one of my highlights too. ;)

I'm writing this from the bullet train back to Osaka after visiting the monkey centre today. I have mixed feelings - I'm glad I went, and you're both right. The collection on paper is amazing, but much of it is displayed in a 1970s-style taxonomic arrangement, in rows of cages. Numbers are sometimes also impressive: I spotted 5 pottos and 9 siamangs. There are specks of genius in the rest of the zoo, including the Yakushima Japanese macaque enclosure with a beautiful valley as a backdrop, a well-planted chimpanzee family exhibit and a touch pool/ stream for a colony of fire- bellied newts. I still struggle to see past the bad here though, which includes so much of the collection. Unfortunately a number of rarities have recently died out too, so I missed a few which you might have picked up, @CGSwans.

CGSwans, Chlidonias and FunkyGibbon like this.
  3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What's a Japanese Grey Pheasant?
    Is there really such a thing as a Wide-mouth Frog?

4. CGSwans

No idea, my visit was nearly a year and a half ago. My guess is that something was lost in the translation when they were making the signs.

5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi both CGswans and devilfish.I have recently buy my flight to Osaka for a six-day trip in February.I will go to Kyoto,Kobe and Osaka.Any advice?

6. CGSwans

Osaka Aquarium is a must. The others in the region are firmly in the optional category.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Japanese Grey Pheasant must surely be Japanese Green Pheasant.

Wide-mouth Frog could be anything. Horned Frog (Ceratophrys) would fit the description nicely, and they are commonly sold in Asia as pets.

FBBird likes this.
  8. aardvark250

My plan is Osaka Aquarium,Tennoji Zoo, and Kobe Animal Kingdom.(Probably also Kyoto zoo and Kyoto aquarium)

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The only Wide-mouth Frog I know of is the one in the Wide-mouth Frog Joke. Which I will tell if I have to....

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  10. devilfish

How many will you be able to visit?
    I agree with @CGSwans that Osaka Kaiyukan Aquarium is the one to keep at the top of the list. What is it that attracts you to the others? Although Tennoji has a few very good areas, a lot remains unattractive. I didn't make it to Kobe Animal Kingdom (back pain, bad weather and aquarium crowds) but all I remember really looking forward to there were the shoebills. I would also prioritise Suma Aqualife Park in Kobe, which I visited yesterday. Although larger marine mammals aren't held in great exhibits, most of the marine displays are excellent. It's also the only place I know of currently displaying five (but probably six) species of sea snake! Well worth a visit. I also swung by Kobe's Oji Zoo very briefly in heavy rain before flying back - I didn't get the impression that it was worth a thorough visit. I know a few of the highlights from Port of Nagoya Public Aquarium wouldn't be so attractive to someone living in China (emperor penguins jump to mind), but some of the deep sea displays and the sardine show are very impressive. You might also be tempted to spend a short while afterwards waiting out for the volcano rabbits in Higashiyama. I didn't visit Kyoto.

February is a good time of year to see more deep sea creatures displayed in aquaria - so I'd be keen to prioritise those with a stronger deep sea collection, or at least to try and make contacts there.

I know you've already seen this thread but I found Chlidonias' advice on exploring the JAZA inventories invaluable in planning my Japan trip: Online Zoo Animal Databases

11. Chlidonias

Glad to know that was useful! :D

It was actually @aardvark250 who brought to my attention that inventories could even be searched on the JAZA site.

12. devilfish

Oh great. :)

13. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Sorry, Japan has volcano rabbits? As in teporingo?

[1000th post!]

Last edited: 2 Nov 2017
  14. devilfish

Yes, two left in Higashiyama zoo.

Japanese zoos and aquariums also have olm among a huge number of other oddities, including a sportive lemur, if the inventory is accurate.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Oct 2017
  15. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Huh, that's pretty cool. Are we going to get a full regaling of the oddities you've seen in due course?

16. aardvark250

I won't go to Nagoya as there is not enough time.Remember that I'm going with my parents.I plan for three days in Osaka(one day in USJ),two days in Kyoto and one day in Kobe.What tennoji attract me is for the Kiwi.Other species attract me include drill and spectacled bear.
    For kobe, my main attraction is of course their shoebill,as well as rock hyrax, kea, fishing cat,skunk, and quite a lot of parrot species(Also Western Plantain-eater)
    I don't know whether I should go to kyoto zoo and kyoto aquarium,but I will stay two days there,so why not?
    I didn't thought of Suma before.I don't know what to expect there.I will probably go there now if I have time.

17. devilfish

I won't start a thread on here. I can list a few from memory if you'd like? I'll upload some photos to facebook and might make a quick attempt to upload some of those here, but I've been having a lot of trouble with the zoochat gallery.

Brum and FunkyGibbon like this.
  18. Chlidonias

19. aardvark250

@devilfish How much time did you spend in Suma?

20. devilfish

About 5 hours - it's very easy to spend much longer! I would have spent more time there but my flight back to the UK was that evening.