Join our zoo community

Largest aquatic insect discovered

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by vogelcommando, 25 Jul 2014.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Wow! That is one fantastic insect!! I like it very much, even though it is terrifying!

3. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

it looks so alien and plastic, I'd like to see them bred in captivity though.

4. Chlidonias

I wonder how big the larvae are? In NZ dobsonfly larvae are called toe-biters. The larvae of this one might be more toe-removers!!

5. Chlidonias

the scientific name of the giant dobsonfly is Acanthacorydalis orientalis and it is used as a food item in China, as are the larvae. I haven't been able to find out how large the larvae are though, unfortunately.

6. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I saw this post yesterday and was impressed by its size. However last night I had a dream one of these critters was in room with me, flying about (making that noise they make with their wings) and it had mutated into something like this is but with a giant white abdomen stuffed with live fully formed young that were secreting out of the body and landing on the floor and furniture. Not a nice experience.

The largest larvae I have found in the UK are cockchafer beetle larvae, about 30mm in length. The largest to be found in the UK are stag beetle larvae, around 60mm. I recall the easiest way to ID larvae of beetles is to do with the shape of the spiracles, but of course I have long forgotten which is which :eek:

7. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You have the same type of dreams as me pootle, except mine are always about rats, also I'm pleased I'm not the only one on here who forgets details too, I thought zoo chatters had every name and detail on the tip of there tongue just ready to state, not half swallowed like me.

The largest larva I have found are lesser stag beetles, they look very similar to the stag beetle larva, but not as large.