Join our zoo community

Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by TheMightyOrca, 20 Sep 2018.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Received a free copy of this book recently, and I thought it was really good. It's about how nature is good for a child's physical and mental health and development, and the reasons why kids today aren't playing in nature very often. I like how the book doesn't just pin all of the blame on video games, or act like it's the children who are at fault. (STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT US GETTING PARTICIPATION TROPHIES, IT'S NOT LIKE WE ASKED FOR THEM OR PLACE ANY KIND OF VALUE ON THEM) Rather, it discusses how kids have access to fewer and fewer green spaces, how modern culture discourages nature play and creates something of a feedback loop, and how rules created by parents and other authorities make outdoor play too discouraged, restrictive or outright impossible. It even argues that some rules created for conservation purposes can be a problem because they restrict play too much and cause kids not to develop an interest in nature, and that environmentalists should look for a balance on that.

It's really refreshing to see someone try to look for causes of modern problems that aren't just blaming electronics or lack of Christian values or saying that kids these days are too coddled or lazy. The book was published in 2008, when I was 15, and I did experience some of the issues it brings up. (but not too badly, I lived in a rural area in elementary school, and even after we moved my dad was insistent on going to nature areas) And there really are several factors that play in. I'm always hearing parents complaining that their kids don't play outside, and people saying "Just make them go outside!". But, how many of those kids are allowed to go out of their yard, or past their street, without parental supervision? How many of them live in an area where they can safely walk or bike to a good play area? People today are so afraid of lawsuits, modern playgrounds are designed so "safe" that they're really only interesting and fun for small children. (I haven't seen a merry-go-round in years) And don't even get me started on how hard it is to find a swimming pool that goes deeper than five feet! Many places are so spread out that a lot of kids don't live near any friends, further limiting options, and a lot of them are so busy with schoolwork and extracurricular activities that they don't have the time. (and even if you aren't busy, your friends might be. Story of my middle and high school life, bleh) And of course, you have economic factors that prevent people from getting to nature areas and doing outdoor activities.

Another problem that while a lot of people value nature, there's this perception that you have to go far away to get any worthwhile nature. Because of this, I think it's super important for zoos to put emphasis on local nature. (totally can't wait for that Texas Wetlands exhibit at the Houston Zoo!) There's another matter, one that the book also points out, that limited experience with nature causes people to either romanticize it or fear it, both of which can cause problems. The fear one is obvious, but with romanticizing, I think that causes a lot of people to become disappointed when they do get out in nature and don't have that experience they saw in wildlife documentaries or viral videos. And of course, there are people who get hurt because they don't know basic nature safety and awareness. You want people to enjoy and appreciate nature in a way that's good for nature and safe for the people.

What do you guys think of the subject? What do you think can be done about it? Going with the theme of this site, is there anything you think that zoos can do to help? Have any of you read the book, or plan on reading it?

birdsandbats, Jambo and FunkyGibbon like this.
  2. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have read the book and it is one of several developing the idea of biophilia, that people require contact with nature for their well being. Zoos of course help fulfil some of these needs and the various immersion exhibits, where people get up close and personal with animals, are the most powerful expression of this.

TheMightyOrca likes this.
  3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The book has been very influential in the environmental education field and zoo and museum design community. Many zoos, nature centers, natural history museums, science museums, etc. now have nature play areas and programs to try and remedy the problems raised in the book. The new nature play zone at the Omaha Zoo and the Nature Lab at the Los Angeles County Natural History Museum are examples. I think the author of the book now has a foundation that helps design and build nature play areas.

My local park district built a small nature play area with a water play table and other activities. I helped develop some interpretive signage for it.

4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It says a lot that the response was that zoos, museum and so on built exhibits showing wildlife just out of doors.

I would hope for better access to woods and reserves outside cities instead... but it is a lost hope.

However this is one of main reasons why I support zoos and museums: they are the only way how majority of modern people see any wild animals or any nature habitat.

TheMightyOrca and birdsandbats like this.