Join our zoo community

Last of their kind in a zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 3 Jan 2021.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Could well be wrong - and probably am wrong given fact you'd know better than I - but I was sure I'd heard that listed as one of the species present in private hands during past conversations.

Batto likes this.
  2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

They will be kept privately in Australia.

Batto and Bengal Tiger like this.
  3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Never say never when it comes to venomous snakes kept in private collections. I happened to see a brown snake and some Pseudocerastes urachonoides at a German breeder the other month.
    But I haven't heard of any privately kept King browns outside of Oz in recent times.

devilfish likes this.
  4. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The one that was confiscated and sent to Detroit was from someone keeping the snake illegally. Wonder if there’s a few more out there in private hands that we don’t even know of….:confused:

5. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Probably. If I remember correctly, the American authorities once tried to lure in illegal keepers by posting fake offers for Western taipans and other rare Australian elapids in the USA. Some fell for that.

6. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Were there Northern White Rhinos in South Africa? If so, Do you have any other information?

7. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A few examples of mine -
    The only Tiger Quolls at Hamerton, which was rather inevitable anyways.
    Also at Hamerton, the last Eastern Aardwolf.
    I think when I was younger I also saw the last Carmine Bee-eater at Birdland.
    Bristol's last Kowari.
    Possibly a few more examples which evade me at this time .. but soon enough Edinburgh's pandas will most certainly join these ranks.

BenFoxster likes this.
  8. Kalaw

Kalaw Well-Known Member

Growing up, London's Blackburn Pavilion was filled with 'last survivors' that are now absent from UK collections. I remember seeing Amazilia Hummingbird, Black-necked Aracari and Hooded Pita, although sadly, with the exception of the hummingbird, which always fascinated me, I was too young to appreciate that they were anything more noteworthy than a bird. I regret that sincerely, especially as there is, to my knowledge, nowhere in Europe that still houses Hooded Pita.

Other examples from London Zoo would be the Panay Cloud Runners and the Borneo Bearded Pigs. Luckily, those two are still present on the continent, although in the case of the latter, perhaps not for long.

9. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wouldn't hold your breath for the former either, as far as I'm aware the individuals are quite old.

Kalaw likes this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

To be honest I think there's a decent chance the last Bearded Pig will outlive the last Cloudrunners.... and of course, we know for sure that once the last pig *has* died the species itself will still be extant, something which cannot be said for the Cloudrunners.

Kalaw and Fallax like this.
  11. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Panay cloudrunner has only been kept in 3 ZTL zoos: London 2012-18, Prague 2013-19 and Plzen from 2010 with no young since 2013.

12. TeaLovingDave

London had them for about a decade longer than you claim, from about 2003 onwards - they successfully had the first captive breeding outside the native range in 2004, in fact.

13. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Have there been any updates in the last few years if any Panay Cloudrunners have been spotted in the wild?

14. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is a reported reported sighting from 2020, but the details are under embargo at www.observation.org, so apart from that the observer is a Phillipine naturalist I can't find any details. Given there is still a sizeable (but shrinking) amount of suitable habitat left, I think it is likely this species still exists, but as it occurs in a rarely visited corner of the world with hard to access forests, there just hasn't been enough effort. Even birders hardly make it to Panay and the ones that do, don't do spotlighting....

Neil chace, TeaLovingDave and Kalaw like this.
  15. TeaLovingDave

The most recent report - itself the first for about five years - is still the deceased individual found in February 2020, which was only made publically-known a year or so later:

Panay Bushy-tailed Cloud Rat in February 2020 by Flavio Nava. Body was decaying, infested probably by fly larvae; seen along trail. Habitat is composed of dens... · iNaturalist Canada

Possibly the same record as the one which was posted on iNaturalist, per the above?

The main thing which raises concern about the continued status of the species is the fact that after the captive population within the breeding centre at Mariit Conservation Park collapsed due to disease in c.2016, by all accounts they *did* make concerted efforts to locate new stock and were unable to find any individuals.

16. Dassie rat

Thanks, TLD. That's what I thought, as I had heard that London was the 1st zoo to keep them outside the Philippines. ZTL is unsure when they arrived at London, but lists numbers from 2012. I'm sorry for the misinformation.

17. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

How about mountain anoa? Have there been any reports of those from Sulawesi in the last couple of years? I have a suspicion a lot of really rare species have been seen in their native ranges but we just don't know the people who have seen them (language barriers, lack of Internet etc.).

18. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good lord, I was blissfully unaware of what the situation with the Panay Cloudrunners had become ... !!!

From what I see, I believe it's fairly likely the species is still in existence, but simply that it's in a remote area of the world which is infrequently explored, which could hinder any sightings.
    From what I understand, rodent populations do have periods of fluctuation, so it's possible that in 2016 maybe the population was in a time of relative lowness?
    But in any case, I do very much hope that the species' survival can be ensured. I am somewhat skeptical that the two in the Czech Republic are the last at all...
    I recall when I went to London Zoo in 2016 I was unaware of the obscure species they had at the time - they had the cloud-runners, they had the bearded pigs so on ... it makes me slightly frustrated that I was blissfully unaware of these .. my attention was on the aardvarks instead !

DelacoursLangur likes this.
  19. Dassie rat

Don't worry too much, dillotest0, I didn't take much interest in London Zoos' northern white rhinoceros

20. ZooNerd

ZooNerd Well-Known Member

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Memphis have the last yellow-casqued hornbills and banded palm civet on display in America?