Join our zoo community

Last of their kind in a zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 3 Jan 2021.

1. Sauroposeidons

Sauroposeidons Member

I agree, really quite unfortunate. :< Already is happening with so many species, such as the Reticulated giraffe becoming endangered in 2018 (and many individuals existing in zoos too). :(

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No longer unfortunately, the last one passed awhile ago.

BerdNerd likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, and that is way the current and prolonged breeding stop for giraffe species in Europe EAZA/EEP is a major downer for me. It could be so much more ambitious with giraffe going back to Africa and unrelated stock imported or AI. Imagine what exchange of say 5-10 reticulated giraffe calves from Kenya would do to the population. Let Dvur Kralove or another big holder do the acclimatisation work. And in reverse send surplus reticulated giraffe to set up new populations in Kenyan secure conservancies in the NE or NW of the country or even parts of Ethiopia if security and conservation work improves.

4. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is there a single pure Reticulated giraffe in zoos though? I know North America doesn't have any. Does Europe?

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ZTL lists 55 zoos with reticulated giraffes. I don't know how many of these are pure.

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The European Reticulated Giraffe population is considered pure. Hybrids do exist in reasonable numbers in Europe as well, but they are known and separated (including on Zootierliste :) ). Rothschild's and Reticulated are the main forms being bred in Europe, with a smaller programme for Kordofan and a handful of holders each of Angolan and Southern (though I've never actually seen Southern in Europe). Masai were present not too long ago but have now dwindled to nothing - fortunately this form is the one that is present in decent numbers as pure animals in North American zoos.

7. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Onychorhynchus coronatus, sorry that I missed this comment. Definately not easy. I was searching for "non-insane" price more than five years and finally found it in South Africa. Posted some more info about the book here.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2021
  8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

No problem Twilighter, it looks like an excellent reference book , but some of those have a hefty price tag.

9. twilighter

Yes, It is a very in-depth reference. The author spent a lot of time with local hunters and studied the bushmeat markets. There is even description and drawings of stomach contents, reproductive tracts and deformed hooves for some of the species. I would have had this book years ago, if it was not the price tag.

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Unfortunately the best reference books out there are typically extremely pricey, sometimes they are worth buying though if its going to serve as a working book etc.

It sounds like the author really exhaustively researched every aspect of duikers possible.

BenFoxster, Birdsage and twilighter like this.
  11. twilighter

Its a shame, that this book is so difficult to obtain. Duikers desperately need more attention and this book is the perfect ambassador. Publishing a new reprint or eBook would very nice.

Even the interlibrary loan is not an easy task. The book is very heavy and the headband is bit thin. You need to be careful not to destroyed it during delivery. Knowing that in advance I ordered special package for fragile items.

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Definitely, know what you mean.

I have an excellent reference book on Callitrichids, beautifully researched and very comprehensive in terms of information (though a little bit out of date in parts as it was written so long ago) but it was fairly pricey and also is incredibly heavy, so heavy in fact that I think it could be used as a weapon in robbing a bank.

13. twilighter

Interesting, what is the name of the book ?

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Its called "Living New World Monkeys, Volume 1." and is by Phillip Hershkovitz.

iluvwhales and twilighter like this.
  15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

It isn't the most practical book, though a great reference, never mind a coffee table book , it weighs more than a glass topped coffee table !

Westcoastperson likes this.
  16. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Marcus Burkhardt

Marcus Burkhardt Well-Known Member

Long time no post here. Last week I successfully finished my zoo tour through spain, and the main reason to make this tour gets 25 years old this August: the last klipspringer in europe and probably the last Ethiopian klipspringer (Oreotragus saltatrixoides) outside of Africa. It lives at Bioparc Valencia, which is one of the most beautiful zoos I have seen so far.

Attached Files:

18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I didn't realize Klipspringers were so rare in Europe, quite a few American collections keep them.

BenFoxster and Marcus Burkhardt like this.
  19. Marcus Burkhardt

Marcus Burkhardt Well-Known Member

In America they have officially Oreotragus stevensoni, while some Zoochatters think that there are no pure klipspringers in America.

20. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There's only 10 zoos in the USA with them. For some reason it feels like there's more.

birdsandbats likes this.