Join our zoo community

Leafbirds in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by vogelcommando, 8 Mar 2015.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Leafbirds belonged for a long time among the most beloved softbills and I've taken care for several species. Breeding has always been a problem with this group and because no ( or very few ) imports are coming to Europe, only VERY few remain in zoos !
    For this I checked Zootierliste ( ZootierlisteHomepage ) and as you can see there seem to be no future for Leafbirds in Europe.
    I would like to know about the situation in the rest of the world, I guess in South-East Asia they still can be found fairly commonly ( wild-caught ) but what about America ? I've heared of a Canadian private breeding which put much work in breeding them ( in the 1980-ties ) but are there still Leafbirds in America ( zoos and / or privat collections ) ?

2. threeple61

threeple61 Well-Known Member

America - I know of a single golden-fronted at San Diego Zoo and a single golden-fronted at the houston Zoo. I think there is a single greater green at Nashville, and there are a couple of blue-winged kept at North Carolina. Not breeding.

Vienna has a good population of the Hardwick's (orange-bellied), and there are a few of this kept privately in Europe.

In Asia, most are wild caught and not breeding. They are often used in the cage bird trade as singers, and that is how San Diego Zoo acquired their most recent bird.

Hope this helps.