Join our zoo community

"Legal" animal-trade Africa - Asia

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by vogelcommando, 10 Mar 2018.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Perhaps it might be worth expanding on the use of "quotation marks" to imply it isn't really legal trade, as the report seems to make no mention of any illegality in the summary or recommendations, and indeed anywhere else that I scanned.

The most interesting stat for me is that Singapore imported almost 100,000 live birds from Africa in the last ten years, the most in South-east and East Asia.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Indeed, pages 2 and 3 specifically state that the report is about the legal trade of species between the two continents.

4. vogelcommando

Corruption is still common on both continents, so legal doens't mean automaticly real legal..

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Interestingly, the report says that most of the birds exported from South Africa (in total) are reported as being captive-bred.

There's a lot of interesting and surprising stuff in the report. Like meat of Cape Fur Seals being exported from Namibia to Vietnam and China (page 112 and 131).

Or a "whaaaat?" moment when I read a passing mention of live Coelacanth being exported from the Comoros (page 56). I checked the CITES trade database and got a result of one live animal being exported to China in 2010. I'm not sure how many exclamation marks to add, so use your own judgement.

Ethiopia was kind of interesting too, with 1268 live CITES-listed specimens exported to Asia between 2006 and 2015 (page 62).

6. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I found the Ethiopia thing also interesting since I always thought they didn’t like giving live specimens to anyone.

7. vogelcommando

Aviculture in South Africa is realy of a high standard ( esp. parrot-breeding ) so it realy is possible that the birds exported were captive-bred.
    I've heared rumours of Japanese aquariums which wanted to import Coelacanths around the year 2000 but as far as I am aware this didn't happen.