Join our zoo community

Leipzig Zoo & Co.

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Toddy, 21 Jun 2008.

1. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Hello all!

From June 29th to July 3rd I will be in Leipzig, visiting four zoos in the area. These are:
    Leipzig Zoo
    Halle Zoo
    Dresden Zoo
    Thüringer Zoopark Erfurt

I have never seen any of these zoos before, so I have a just few questions:
    • When is it possible to see the elephants bathing through the underwater viewing in Ganesha Mandir (Leipzig Zoo's elephant house)? I think it was mentioned earlier here on the this forum in another thread...?
    • Since I have decided not to leave Leipzig until I see the pangolin, I would like to know when my best chances are (time of day, feeding time, etc.)?

Also, if any of the members here at ZooBeat would like me take take photos of any specific animals and/or enclosures, just let me know and I will put it on my "to do" list :)

2. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

since pangolins are nocturnal, my best guess would be evening time.

about elephant bathing time. don't know by heart, but it's on a message board in the park, so you can't miss it. I would advise you to go early enough, because there usually is quite a big crowd. (trust me, I learned the hard way)

3. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ele-Bath is usual between 9 and 10.15 a.m, the exatct time is shown at the enclosure.

The pangolins weight ist checkt every monday at 11 a.m., for that the light is on an you can take good pics. Gladly the pangolin is in the same room as the ele-bath-window.

Very fine Zoo-Choose you have there, if you want company, just tell me ;) I´m around.

4. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Thanks both of you!

forumbully: Thanks for the tip. I will be there early then ;)

Animal: Thanks! Looks like I will be in Leipzig on monday June 30th ;). I had already noticed that the two things I wanted to see most was rigth oposite each other, and have decided to set up camp there until I see them :p. Thankfully now I have some more accurate times.

I would love some company and the chance to talk to a fellow zoo-enthusiast!

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Toddy see if you can also get a photo of the Baikal seal too, thanks in advance.

6. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

Will you put up a review of Leipzig Zoo on your homepage, Toddy?

7. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

@kiang: They were already on my list ;). I will be sure to post pictures here when I get home.

@Swedish Zoo Fan: Of course, once I get the time to do it.

8. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Camping in the House is always cool. After the public bath the eles are free to bath the whole day, so if you´re lucky even 'mekong', the bull, could be in water. In the Elephant house are also some really nice spicies like Northern Treeshrews (Tupaia belangeri).

@Toddy: you´ve got a pm ;)

9. Orycteropus

Orycteropus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Toddy, as these mentioned zoos not too "overrepresented" in this gallery, I think Your prospective photos of them will be appreciated by all the members here … at least I ’m favourably inclined towards seeing these pictures (with a short descriptions, too) ;)

Wish You a pleasant and memorable trip!

10. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Will do ;)

I will take many photos of the enclosures and exhibits in the various zoos, and then upload the best of them to the gallery once I get the chance :)

11. Zebraduiker

Zebraduiker Well-Known Member

Hi Toddy,

your best chances to see the pangolin activa is early in the morning, so I suggest, you go directly to Ganesha mandir after opening of the zoo.

A friend of me has seen it active until midday.But the animal changes his active phases from time to time. Good luck.

I will be in Leipzig July 4.

12. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Leipzig will start to keep Visayan Warty Pigs and Blue Wildebeests this year. 2 male pigs are going to arrive from Apenheul, Netherlands, soon....

3 Sumatran-Orang-Utans, one bonobo and 3 grevy-zebras are pregnant. 1,2 amur tigers were born at March 3rd, 2,0 Indian Sloth Bears already at January 7th and one scimitar horned oryx in december last year.

13. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Where will the warty pigs be kept?

14. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Close to the anoas at the Small-Deer-House. One brace of anoas has got a new enclosure at the "Bärenburg", the Bear Castle.....