Join our zoo community

Lembang Park and Zoo Lembang Park & Zoo

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by Fargusno, 20 Nov 2020.

1. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

Do anyone here has a full list of animals, former animals and future animals for Lembang Park & Zoo? It has no Wikipedia page, incomplete animal infos on its Instagram and FB page, no websites and no exhibit maps. From what I know it was opened back in the end of 2019 and it was managed by the Jatim Park company. @Nandito only took a few pics of the animals, but not all.

It would be appreciated if there's a list for them!

Salt Merchant likes this.
  2. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

Try DM them on Instagram, I guess they might response (Since they also response to my compliment for them for acquiring a couple of toucan, which you also response to).

Make sure you say, "Permisi min, saya bulan depan ingin pergi ke Lembang Park and Zoo. Apa saya boleh tau ada jenis binatang apa saja yang ada di sana?", or something like that (I don't think they will share anything about former animals, they probably say a few words about the future animals). If you didn't get any response, some YouTube videos might help.

If you get the answer, can you create a thread about the LPZ's species list?

Last edited: 20 Nov 2020
  3. Fargusno

I tried but they won't respond. I asked them for a PDF or a PNG of the zoo's map and they won't respond either. I DM'ed, commented and etc and they won't give a buffalo chip or two.

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Followed @Nandito advice and looked at some YouTube-videos from this park. Some real intresting animals are kept there !
    Species like Quince monitor, Lesser bird of paradise, Grizzled tree-kangaroo and Lesser adjutant are all very rare in western collections and also species like the Australian pelican and Giant squirrel are intresting !
    Discovered that this park already has a Gallery on ZooChat ( Lembang Park and Zoo - ZooChat ) but sofar its mainly herps ( and 1 fish and 2 bird-species ) in this Gallery, who's gonna change that ?

5. Salt Merchant

I'm planning to go to West Java when the coronavirus infection rates decreased, I'm probably going to visit this zoo and take a picture of the animals I can find at the zoo (They keep fallow deers, toco toucans, and some Australian parrots, which only a few Indonesian zoo keep this species).

vogelcommando and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. Fargusno

I'm planning to go there around July-September 2021, when the pandemic ends and it's OK to not wear masks again (see China, Taiwan and NZ for examples)

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. Salt Merchant

The tree kangaroos in Lembang Park and Zoo are currently on display in a open enclosure, similar to the one in Taman Safari Bogor but slightly smaller.

The chain link fence enclosure housed a Asian water monitor (Varanus salvator) as far as I know.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Kifaru Bwana

The grizzled tree kangaroos are a pair or more than just the 2???

As far as reptiles: I did note Woma python, green tree python, dragon snake, corn snake, Hydrosaurus spp., tri-colored monitor lizard (V. yuwonoi), leopard gecko, ubiquitous green iguana, Trachemys scripta (exotic / invasive). Two other photos is a Varanus auffenbergii, and Varanus melinus!!!

Bird species: lesser sulphur crested cockatoo, Moluccan cockatoo, hawk-headed parrot, rainbow lorikeet, black-winged lori, Pesquet's parrot, red-tailed black cockatoo (!!!), galah cockatoo, various macaw species (blue and gold, scarlet, severe), blue-fronted amazon, toco toucan, black kite (bird show), lesser adjudant stork (!!!), fish owl Ketupu spp., Oriental bay owl, Oriental pied hornbill, Philippine pelican, little black cormorant, lesser bird of paradise, golden whiskered barbet (!!!), turaco, and the usual white rhea and white peafowl (not the endemic green peafowl).

Mammals: grizzled tree kangaroo (!!!), siamang, southern pig-tailed macaque, silvered lutung, common marmoset, binturong, Malayan sun bear, Malayan civet, luwak, Asian small-clawed otter, yawn tiger, yawn white lion, meerkat (more yawn, yawn), deer (no Rusa timor?).

You could make quite a checklist here and perhaps try and list numbers (and sex/age / young) when you visit the place again.

Salt Merchant and Fargusno like this.
  10. Fargusno

The only deer they have is a small herd of Fallow deer

11. Salt Merchant

They also have some chitals and Javan rusas I think.

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In one of the YouTube videos the Hydrosaurus is signed as being H. amboniensis and from the monitors also the Komodo dragon can be seen.

13. Salt Merchant

Just a pair.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Salt Merchant

Fargusno and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  15. Salt Merchant

Fargusno likes this.
  16. Fargusno

17. Salt Merchant

Last edited: 4 Dec 2020
  18. Salt Merchant

Lembang Park and Zoo introduced a couple of alpacas (Vicugna pacos), named Mipan and Zuzu.
    Login • Instagram

Fargusno likes this.
  19. Fargusno

They look kinda stylish tho, for a couple of Alpacas
    FYI, Mipan and Zuzu are Huacaya alpacas, which are seldomly seen in Indonesian zoos, whereas the Suri alpacas are more commoner

Kifaru Bwana and Salt Merchant like this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

I still think it would be better to have an Indonesian desa farm and some local cattle species (Andean woolwear might be more complicated)!