Join our zoo community

Lemur catta mixed with mungos or meerkats?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by SimonBio, 14 Nov 2020.

1. SimonBio

SimonBio Member

Hi Everyone.
    In my institution we'll have ring-tailed lemurs in walk-through exhibit soon. The lemurs will also have access to sulcata tortoise's place. We also have 4 banded mongooses (2:2) in separate exhibit already. Do we need to make a barrier to prevent lemurs entering into mungo's place? The whole place is indoor place. I've never seen this combination before but I still want to try and give lemurs more space and enrichment.
    What do you think?

2. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. I suspect mongooses and lemurs could cause a great deal of conflicts. Apparently Schönbrun keeps or kept meerkats with their lemurs, but I can't directly find wether they still do. I also don't know wether there are risks of disease transfer.

If you'd do it I would bear in mind that chances are you would need to separate them in the end.

SimonBio likes this.
  3. SimonBio

SimonBio Member

Thank you.

The separation is an option, yes. But I don't know if I can try or not. Generaly we'll have 2 lemurs for the start - a female and a male (vasectomy).

Yes, I also saw lemurs and meerkats in Schönbrunn ZOO.

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I suspect the mongooses’ food would be attractive to the lemurs, but bad for their health, even if the animals themselves got on, which I doubt they would, long term.

SimonBio likes this.
  5. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

Is it a mixed sex gtoup for the ringtails ? Since youngs would be in danger fromthe mongooses.

6. SimonBio

SimonBio Member

Maybe we can separate them while feeding. What about the fights?

7. SimonBio

SimonBio Member

A pair of ring-tailed lemurs, but the male with a vasectomy.

8. GiratinaIsGod

GiratinaIsGod Well-Known Member

ok, that is importent. But why do they not keep a bachlor gtoup of ring tails ? There is a huge overpopulation of males in captivity, and they wouldn't have too reduce the potential genepool of the population ?

9. SimonBio

SimonBio Member

It was a recomendation of the coordinator. In the future we would also like to establish two groups, one bachelor group and one breeding group.