Join our zoo community

Duke Lemur Center Duke Lemur Center News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 19 Mar 2009.

1. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Duke plans to import 4.6 Grey Mouse Lemurs from France to augment their captive breeding programs.

2. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Duke Lemur Center

Duke Lemur Center Tours, Conservation, Research and Education of Lemurs

Has any one ever visited this facility? Looks like it is associated with Duke University. This place caught my eye because the website says it has some very interesting species. Most notably Coquerel's, Diademed, and Golden-crowned Sifakas. I always thought there was only Coquerel's in the US.

They also have Aye Aye, Fat-Tailed Dwarf Lemur, Pygmy Slow Loris, Slender Loris, Slow Loris, Northern Giant Mouse Lemur, and Gray Mouse Lemur.

Also Black & White Ruffed Lemur, Blue Eyed Lemur, Collared (Brown) Lemur, Crowned Lemur, Mongoose Lemur, Red-Bellied Lemur, Red-Ruffed Lemur, Ringtailed Lemur, Bamboo Lemur, Red-Fronted Brown Lemur, White-fronted Lemur, Sanford's Lemur, Red-fronted Lemur, and Brown Lemur.

If this is legit, it sounds like somewhere to visit, no question about that.

3. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

I visited the Duke Lemur Center in December of 2004 and thought it was great.I was in Durham for a basketball game at Duke and because there was not a zoo close by to visit during the day I thought I would check this place out.Because it was December we basically had a private tour of the place which made it even more enjoyable.They said it can get pretty busy in the summer.As far as the lemurs go they really have wonderful collection any one into lemurs I would highly recommend checking this place out

Marty from Team Tapir

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

It's definitely legit, Duke is one of the world's leading centres for anything to do with prosimians. They've also got some of the largest captive populations of many species - a quick look on ISIS will testify to this (ISIS shows 21 Aye-ayes at the centre.)

As far as I'm aware, Titus, their last golden-crowned sifaka, died a couple of years ago. I think they're down to their last diademed sifaka too.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2011
  5. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

6. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2 Blue-eyed lemurs born at Duke Lemur Center :
    Hello World, Meet Hiddleston and Poots!

Poots.jpg

The Duke Lemur Center is proud to announce the births of two Blue-eyed Black Lemurs, one male – Hiddleston – and one female – Poots. Like many species in this genus, these lemurs are sexually dichromatic, meaning the the males and females are different colors (black and reddish brown respectively).

Named for actor Tom Hiddleston, Hiddleston was born to mother West and father Hopkins on March 24, 2013. He weighed a healthy 82 grams at birth. Poots, named for Imogen Poots, was born on March 27, 2013, to parents Margaret and Tarantino. Poots weighed 92 grams at birth. West and Margaret are first-time mothers, and both are doing a fantastic job with their new little ones.

Blue eyed black Duke Lemur Center 2.jpg

Blue eyed black Duke Lemur Center 3.jpg

Blue eyed black Duke Lemur Center 2a.jpg

The successful births of Hiddleston and Poots contribute a great deal to the conservation of this species. The Duke Lemur Center currently houses North America’s only breeding females of Blue-eyed Black lemurs: West, Margaret and Foster. These females hold the key to the conservation of this species of lemur because of dramatic habitat loss in the wild and the limited breeding population in captivity. With expert care (and some very handsome Blue-eyed Black Lemur males), DLC is hoping for many more babies in the future to continue to preserve these rare, beautiful lemurs.
    Source : Zooborns

8. ZooBabyBlog

ZooBabyBlog Member

Yes, I have been there! Well worth the visit. I went as part of a photography tour. Some of those animals are in small enclosures, but others roam very large forest cages (six to seven acres). I was with a group which had admittance with keepers, to the the large forest area housing a group of ring tailed lemurs and another kind, I believe the red ruffed lemur. The advantage to us with this tour (which cost us each about 90 dollars) was that we were able to photograph the animals without wires in the way. After that part of the experience, we saw some of the other animals, and we also got to go inside to see the nocturnal animals, which are lit only by red lights. The aye-aye and some other varieties.

9. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@ZooBabyBlog, that sounds really cool and well worth the cost. I'd really like to get a visit in some day.

~Thylo:cool:

11. OhSnapItsKirby

OhSnapItsKirby Member

This place sounds like it is well worth a visit. Forgive me for wandering a bit off topic, but what species of sifaka does Cincinnati have? I thought for sure they were Coquerel's.

12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They are. What made you think differently? I believe all the sifakas kept in the US are Coquerel's.

~Thylo:cool:

13. vogelcommando

14. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

15. dcamp023

dcamp023 Well-Known Member

Which tour is the best to see the most species I am driving about ten hrs and was told today that the 95 dollar tour only gets u to see 7-8 species and to me it might not be worth it all suggestions welcomed

16. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

Jovian, the coquerel's sifaka that starred in Zoboomafoo, has passed away at the age of twenty.
    R.I.P. Zoboo

17. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

Damn. Ninety-five bucks? It's not out of this world, but I can see nine species locally for, like, seventeen. I hope they'd let you hold one for that kind of money.

I haven't been yet, but it's on my list. Having 22(?) species in one location is appealing.

The center's YouTube Channel has a nice selection of videos to peruse in the meantime.

18. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

I think regular tours are $12 adults, $9 children or something. $95! :eek: For Sea World, it was $150 for 2 people, San Diego Zoo $78, Santa Ana (dump) $17, and so on.... Zoos at California prices :).

19. vogelcommando

20. vogelcommando