Join our zoo community

Lemurs both in walk through and external viewing exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jahan, 22 Jun 2019.

1. Jahan

Jahan Member

Hi

I am looking to do some research in UK zoos and need to find zoos that have both a walk-through enclosure and an enclosure you view from the outside that have the same animals in them. From my experience, this is most likely the case with lemurs.

Can you help? I need at least 5 collections.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2019
  2. Jahan

Jahan Member

Oh and a keeper talk or feed would also be good.

3. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Cotswold Wildlife Park have Crowned Sifaka in their walk through and also in a separate enclosure in the walled garden area. I think that is what you mean?

4. Scottish Wildcat

Scottish Wildcat Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Edinburgh Zoo rotates different lemur species through their walkthroughs, and what lemurs aren’t in the walkthrough are usually in a separate exhibit. Blair Drummond Safari Park might be worth a visit if you’re in the area too, though I don’t remember if they have a separate place to view the lemurs outwith the walkthrough

Sounds like an interesting project though!

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

London Zoo has ring-tailed lemurs in a walk-through. The lemurs have access to indoor enclosures, where they can behind glass.

6. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Colchester Zoo have a group of ring-tailed lemurs in a walkthrough enclosure (I think possibly a single-sex group) mixed with red-bellied and crowned lemurs, with a second breeding group of ring-tailed lemurs on a large island display directly next to the walkthrough.