Join our zoo community

leopard attack on fighting antelopee

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by dean, 4 Dec 2014.

1. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Clever leopard, taking advantage of the Antelope being occupied by fighting, though it didn't pay off for it.

Fighting animals are often virtually oblivious to their surroundings and drop their guard. I once approached a pair of (wild) fighting Fallow Bucks and could have touched them- if I had wanted to risk that- before they realised and broke away.

Another time I picked up two large boar Badgers at night in the car headlights. They were locked together, fighting in the Road. They were oblivious to the car's headlights when I stopped by them, and I knew they could easily get hit by another vehicle. So I reversed slightly (there were no cars nearby) and drove up alongside them- they still carried on fighting. I leant out and banged on the car door- that was finally enough to startle them and they split and ran off.

More than once I've seen a Sparrowhawk attack and kill a blackbird when two males were engrossed in a fight too. Probably attracted by the racket of noise they make.

3. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know what you mean P I once walked across our lawn shouting at 2 robins in full fight to the death mode they only separated when I put my hand out between them and then suddenly startled, untangled their legs, one flew off in alarm the other which was a semi tame robin I hand fed just hoped onto the fence and started to tell the world he had won!
    Peasants can sometimes be the same, any passing fox could soon have an easy meal if they wait until the cock birds start to duck and dive at each other.