Join our zoo community

Llanelli WWT National Wetlands Centre Lesser Flamingo Chick at Llanelli

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Maguari, 23 Jul 2011.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

A Lesser flamingo chick is being raised by a Caribbean surrogate at WWT Llanelli.

The BBC's story counts this as the second hatching in the UK, ignoring all the Lesser Flamingo chicks not born at WWT centres, presumably having misunderstood the WWT press release, which states 'it's the second time in the 65 year history of WWT that a lesser flamingo chick has hatched in captivity'.

I've dropped them a note, just on the off-chance they'll update it! :D

EDIT: Actually, the WWT's own website also seems confused as to whether it's the second in the UK or the second in captivity (when of course it's neither!).

Still a great achievement though!

BBC News - Flamingo chick hatches at Llanelli wetlands centre

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Brilliant news.

3. toucanwalk

toucanwalk Well-Known Member

wonderful news!

4. Maguari

Myself and Bele saw the chick on Sunday - there are seven Caribbean chicks as well and we saw all eight - when I popped back later on my own there was a member of staff who kindly pointed out the Lesser for me. Will hopefully have some pics once I've gone over them.

Wsa my first time at Llanelli - very enjoyable day (as always with WWT centres).

5. Maguari