Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Lesser Mouse Deer at the Bronx Zoo?

Discussion in 'United States' started by ThylacineAlive, 14 Dec 2012.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It was recently pointed out to me on the 'Lists" thread that when I visited the Bronx Zoo on November 11, 2011, I apparently saw a Lesser Mouse Deer dispite most believing they have Greater Mouse Deer.:confused: I got the information that the chevrotain was a Lesser Mouse Deer off of the species list I made as a toured the zoo (a list that took me three visits to complete). The name I copied down was what it said on the exhibit sign in Jungle World and that was Lesser Mouse Deer. Still, I'm quite confused about this and I'm sure others who read the 'Lists' thread were as well. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated. AnaheimZoo (since you've gone so many times) and BeardsleyZooFan (since you just visited), you might be able to help out here.

~Thylo:cool:

2. ThylacineAlive

Hello?

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

interesting fact: the Bronx Zoo imported a pair of greater mouse deer in 1961 and by 1971 they had 19.18 of them including the original pair. In 1996 they had 16.18, and apparently they had never obtained any more mouse deer since the original pair.

(I know they have brought in some new blood since then from other zoos, but I found an old discussion board and thought it was interesting).

4. ThylacineAlive

What does that have to do with Lesser Mouse Deer? In a PM, BeardsleyZooFan told me he was pretty sure they were Lesser Mouse Deer. I may be visiting in the near future so I'll be sure to check.

5. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

He just thought it was an interesting fact that might interest some of us. I see no harm with him posting it, considering it's about mouse deer and the Bronx Zoo.

Grant likes this.
  6. ThylacineAlive

True. My apologies Chlidonias.

7. stacey101

stacey101 Well-Known Member

19.18 and 16.18 ? :rolleyes: Always got to laugh at numbers like this (.18th of an animals LOL )

Im sorry I have no idea if they have lesser mouse deer :/

8. ThylacineAlive

The number before the decimal is the number of males, the number after the decimal is the number of females, and if there's a second decimal, then the third number is the number of unsexed young.

According to AnaheimZoo they are Greater Mouse Deer listed as 'Large Malay Mouse Deer' by the zoo.

I know this isn't really about chevrotains but apparently the Bronx Zoo's Blesbok left the collection in 2009 but I saw them in June 2011.:confused: Anybody know why?

9. ungulate nerd

ungulate nerd Well-Known Member

On another thread, Ungulate said that Lesser malay chevrotains are now gone from north american zoos, even though I have never really been to the Bronx Zoo I kind of doubt that they have Lesser malay chevrotains

I actually saw them at the San Diego Zoo in the late 1990s early 2000s, but now San Diego Zoo has Greater malay chevrotains as does Los Angeles Zoo

Going back to chevrotains at Bronx Zoo, I am pretty sure that they have Greater malay chevrotains like Central Park Zoo, I know that from the 1940s to the 1950s they did have Water chevrotains, I wonder if Bronx Zoo had Indian spotted chevrotains because according to Lee Crandall's book "The Management of Wild Animals in Captivity" that species has been imported into the United States and also my other evidence to back that up would be that the American Museum of Natural History has a stuffed Indian spotted chevrotain specimen in their Hall of Asian Mammals, I also wonder if they had Balabac chevrotains at one time because they are a species that Lee Crandall lists in his book as possibly having been in the US but not for sure, anyways sorry for going on all these tangents, anyways going back to the Lesser malay chevrotains I am pretty sure San Diego Zoo has not been the only north american facility housing this species, and i would probably have to see the specimens at Bronx Zoo for myself to make an accurate judgement

10. ThylacineAlive

Oh they are definitely Greater Mouse Deer. I checked on my last visit. I have no clue why I listed them as Lessers.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I know this is an old post and I don't mind your response but I forgot to reply to it back then. Apart from just being interesting (to me) I gave the information because it was relevant to the mouse deer currently at the Bronx probably being greater because of the numbers of greaters they still held in 1996. They may have held lesser mouse deer as well, but I felt it was most likely that the one you saw was a greater just based on the zoo's history with them.

12. ThylacineAlive

Again, I've checked and it is Greater. And I don't know why I asked what it had to do with the conversation. It had much to do with it like you said. To me my comment comes off hostile so I apologize though it may just be coming off that way to me. What you posted is a very interesting fact, thanks for sharing!:)

13. ostrich

ostrich Well-Known Member

Didn’t even know they were being kept in captivity. I know the Java Mouse-Deer is kept in the Jerusalem Zoo. I don’t think there are any in the US. Then again, I didn’t know that Lesser and Greater Mouse-Deers were being kept in the US either. Anybody had a chance to see the Java Mouse-Deer in captivity? Not sure if anybody lives near Jerusalem! It would be cool to check them out, though. Never been, but looks to be a nice zoo. Would like to see more Mouse-Deer in captivity. You sure don’t see a lot of them in zoos. I’ve never seen one before. Although, I would like to.