Join our zoo community

Life In Cold Blood

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Jarkari, 5 May 2008.

1. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One for those that have been watching or have seen this series by David Attenborough. Firstly I was pretty impressed with channel nine for the time slot given to this series, something you'd usually expect to see on a sunday afternoon on ABC. I have been really impressed and sucked into this series. It is really interesting.

I was just wondering what you guys thought of this series and David attenborough's style compared to others (but please don't turn this into a thread about Steve Irwin) He's not too bad for an 80 something).

Can't wait for his spy in the Jungle series after this one.

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Would have to agree with you, a top show, great footage

3. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

It is a great show, I loved the episode on lizards. That was great!

4. stretchedandy

stretchedandy Active Member

Its Awesome. Everything Sir David does has been awesome. The trainer currently have for my TTI course was the animal wrangler for the Australian part of the series. He showed us alot of personal pics of him and Sir David on the month long stay in OZ. It was the second time they've worked together.
    His style is great more like a refined gentlemen, but some times you need that Steve Irwin style. I preferred David Bellamy.

I thought this was Sir Davids last series?

Last edited: 5 May 2008
  5. Chris79

Chris79 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Life in Cold Blood is the last of the big-budget "Life" series that began with Life on Earth in 1979. Although the BBC have got Sir David on board for another couple of series, I don't think he's going to be travelling the world doing pieces to camera any more: as he said himself, the BBC probably wouldn't give the money to an octogenarian! I imagine the future series will be more like Planet Earth, with him providing a voiceover only. However he has also said he'll be making more one-off programmes so we should still see him popping up on our screens now and then.

As for his presenting style, well I think he's simply a brilliant communicator. He is passionate about his subject, he has a great deal of respect for the natural world, he is immensely knowledgable and authoritative without being patronising or lecturing, he chooses exactly the right words, he doesn't anthropomorphise or sentimentalise, he concentrates on the science, he is a master storyteller, he doesn't show off on camera and coming from a broadcasting background (he was a TV producer before he became a presenter), he knows the ins and outs of TV and how to construct a good sequence, a good programme and a good series.

6. Jusinbuzz

Jusinbuzz Member

Yeah when I flicked over the channel last week I was over the moon to hear a very familiar voice discussing about the pygmy blue-tongued skink – I didn’t even know it was coming to Australian television until then. I was also stunned to find out the other day that the desert park’s senior reptile keeper got to help supply some of the species filmed and got to meet Attenborough – lucky man. Apparently they filmed the park’s lake Eyre dragons and burrowing frogs however I’m not sure if they made it to the final cut because unfortunately I missed the first couple of episodes darn :( . Can’t wait for next weeks one :)

7. Reptile Lover

Reptile Lover Well-Known Member

Yeah really good. It's about time a channel like 9 has animal docos. I also think that David Attenborough is the best animal guy (sorry I forgot the real word for it) ever.