Join our zoo community

Life Ticks.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Fresco3, 26 Jun 2017.

1. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi, I know the rules are search first, ask later. And I've tried but I'm still confused.

Are life ticks just personal 'bucket list' animals or are they a thing on the forums??

2. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Life ticks is something you say when you seen an animal you've never seen before
    e.g: If I was to go to Chelby Zoo and saw there Red-Shanked Doucs that would be a life-tick for me

Arizona Docent likes this.
  3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Life ticks are indeed a personal thing, but used worldwide and not just on zoochat.

It is very common practice for especially birders (less so for zoo-enthusiastics) to keep a list of all species they have seen. A life-tick (lifer) means a species seen (or in some cases heard) that is new to this personal list. It can be a life-tick if you see a particular species for the first time, but you can also have the so-called "armchair tick" when what was previously regarded as a subspecies (when you saw it), has with new scientific insight gained the status of a species, when you have also seen other subspecies to which the new species previously belonged.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ahh, thanks guys! Ironically, I've been keeping a species seen list and so I myself, have been getting 'life ticks'... I just didn't know it! Lol.

Very helpful Information :)