Join our zoo community

Liger meets Dolphins

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Vulpes, 2 Nov 2010.

1. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Are these dolphins in the background hybrids also?

[​IMG]

It was taken at Shenzhen Safari Park in China. Cant find any info on the Dolphin species held there

2. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Not that I can be of any help, all I'd like to say is that I too would love to know just what these dolphins are made of! (this tiger cub clearly is a 'cocktail' tiger!)

3. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Indeed it is a cocktail, a dash of lion and a dash of tiger!

4. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The tiger genes seem more dominant in this one. It's a cute cat though, as wrong as it is

5. Deviant*Strain

Deviant*Strain Well-Known Member

They aren't hybrid Dolphins, they're a type of Spotted Dolphin. Pantropical Spotted Dolphins. They never have as many spots as they're Atlantic Spotted cousins and can sometimes be mistaken for Bottlenoses. But no, the one on the right is a youngster and will probably have a few more spots grow in.

6. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

That is very interesting! I did not relaise there were any spotted dolphins in captivity, they are very nice! Do they breed them or are they wild caught?

7. Deviant*Strain

From knowledge of China, probably wild caught. They can breed BND's rarely, an animal like these guys probably wouldn't be in breeding age for long before they die of poor conditions, malnutrition etc etc.

Spotted Dolphins don't live very long in captivity. The exception was Kiwi who was in New Zealand or Australia (I can never remember which). Spotted's and most species other than Orca's, Beluga's and Bottlenosed Dolphins don't tend to live very long. False Killer Whales, Pilot Whales and a few other's haven't been noted to have long lives. But then things like Harbour Porpoises at Harderwijk Aquarium live as long as their wild counterparts but nowhere else in the world has had success with them.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2010
  8. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Is there a list of all cetacean species currently held in captivity available online? I am often suprised when animals like these turn up!

9. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

The interesting thing here is that the species you mention that are long lived are the species chosen to be kept by the most advanced establishments in the world. I wonder if seaworld took on some spotted dolphins would their longevity records be increased?

10. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not completely true also the Fjord and Baelt Center in Denmark is having excellent results with their Porpoises. 2 Of their current animals are there since 1997 and they even bred with them before Harderwijk.

At both institutions the animals are thriving (which is remarkable as most of the animals at Harderwijk all have a medical condition that prevents them of being released). So my guess would be that with this species it's indeed poor husbandry that prevented it of being established on a larger scale in captivity.

11. Deviant*Strain

Sorry, DDcovus, I completely forgot about those places. I'm such a fool sometimes. But yes, plus Harbour Porpoises aren't a pull for crowds unlike Dolphins and Orca's. I'd like to see more rescue centers around the world for small dolphins, but sadly there's not many.

12. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Deviant*Strain: As far as I know, there is another exception. A pacific pilot whale ("Bubbles" if I remember correctly) in Seaworld San Diego has been noted for a long live.

13. Deviant*Strain

There's 4 Pilot Whales (2 Short Finned and 2 Long Finned). Bubbles (1966) and 9Lives (1982) are the last two surviving Pilot whales that have really been caught. Sculley and the new Japanese Pilot (not from Taiji but the north of the country) are still only babies. Bubbles and 9Lives were caught in a large scale operation to for marine parks but only those two survived and have lived any decent length. I wouldn't have said they're an exception as there is such a small population of Pilot's. They certainly aren't the best species for captivity as they stress extremely easily, catch disease a lot easier and don't adapt. SWC's Pilots (3 of the 4, the fourth is waiting to be shipped) are the only recorded in captivity.