Join our zoo community

Like a Rhinestone Cowboy: FunkyGibbon in Europe

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by FunkyGibbon, 30 Mar 2017.

1. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Yes; there's a copy of a rather wonderful old map from the 1940s in this thread, here - vintage london zoo map - help - indicating the old Birds of Prey aviaries. Much as I mourn the loss of species-richness within the zoo, these aviaries were no great loss: functional in the extreme, really.

Yes. It was very much the right choice to cease keeping them, in, I think, the mid 1980s.

Giant Panda likes this.
  2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

London Zoo's old Birds-of-Prey Aviaries wouldn't be acceptable by today's standards but they housed a great collection; I have fond memories of the days when there was a monkey-eating eagle there.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2017
  3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Didn't they breed Andean condors there too?

4. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes, Andean condors were bred there; I believe the offspring went to Chessington Zoo.

5. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought I'd post a few updates/notes on your Frankfurt review. Hopefully you don't mind.

1) I saw both the fossa and rusty-spotted cats ( :D), despite their outdoor areas now being closed off.

2) The Grzimek House remains open and will continue to be, I assume, throughout construction. I don't like nocturnal houses from a welfare perspective, but it really is a stonking exhibit.

3) The diurnal exhibits you list as "Empty" are now home to emperor tamarin / tamandua (unseen) and pygmy marmoset respectively.

4) I assume you meant drills share the exhibit with gorillas and colobus. Neither monkey species was visible today, but the aviary housed turacos.

5) Have you made it to Leipzig yet? That's still the most impressive ape house I've seen, although I'm not sure either Pongoland or Borgoriwald get the formula quite right. Personally, I think Edinburgh's combination of multiple day-rooms and non-naturalistic visitor areas is the winning approach.

6) The walk-through aviaries are temporarily closed.

7) Yep, just addax now. For a large paddock, I agree it's under-utilized, but they do look good in there.

8) I know what you mean about euphoric zoo visits. Nothing else like 'em.

Also, I forgot to mention in my previous post that Hannover has a new exhibit for drill and De Brazza monkeys opening this summer. Enjoy!

Last edited: 16 Apr 2017
  6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I don't mind at all. Discussion is the fuel that feeds these kinds of threads :)

1) Lucky, I never see Fossa. (it has no plural, right?)

2) What does the penguin exhibit look like atm? I have a photo but it wasn't worth uploading.

4) I'm pretty confident this wasn't the case in September. A nice addition obviously.

5) Leipzig will be several years hence, according to my current 'plan', but that's subject to change of course.Obviously looking forward to that. I went to Edinburgh some time ago, before I came out as a Zoo enthusiast. I would like to revist and pay more attention this time. I actually like Copenhagen's chimp indoors specifically because of the multiple rooms. The problem there of course is the lack of outdoors.

6) What did you think of the walk-in end exhibit in the Bird House?

7. Giant Panda

No idea. Supposedly the "correct" (ie. Malagasy) pronunciation is "foosh", but I don't think it's "fooshes"...

A big hole! I don't tend to take photos in zoos, but you couldn't really get a sense of it anyway. The model looks nice enough, though.

They're not a new addition and were there a few years ago. According to zootierliste, Frankfurt has gone out of the species, which I rather suspected.

I don't rate Leipzig as highly as some, but it's obviously a must-visit. If finances hold out, I should be making my first trip to Denmark this summer, but I think that's the way to go with chimps and orangs. I've never seen a gorilla indoor area which I thought really got it right, although one-way glass would have to be a feature.

I've always found Frankfurt's bird house a bit over-rated. The walk-in element in particular feels ill-fitting and lacklustre, especially compared to the recent renovation at Berlin. However, part of this is that I'm not all that interested in seeing non-mammals (the Exotarium doesn't do it for me either).

8. FunkyGibbon

Officer! Arrest this individual!

Ah we were talking at cross purposes before. I understand you before.

People hate me for saying this, but Berlin's Bird House is just too big for my taste. It's very in keeping with the overall tone of the place, but it's hard to maintain focus with soooo many species in identical cages.

9. FunkyGibbon

This should say:

Ah we were talking at cross purposes. I misunderstood you before.

My Chinese phone is not at all forgiving of typos.

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

other excuses can be "I was typing on a keyboard with all the letters rubbed off the keys", "I was typing in the dark because the power went out", "I was drunk", "I'm practicing my Pidgin English", "I just came back from a parallel future where my syntax made sense". There are so many to choose from, and you go with the "Chinese phone" one...

11. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting, the chimp indoor enclosures are good in Leipzig, but the orang one has too few climbing structures too my liking and it is only 1 enclosure, though orangs are more solitary, I prefer Frankfurt's enclosure over it and I think a mix between Frankfurt and Apenheul would be an as close to ideal enclosure as possible, with Apenheul's design and Frankfurt size.

12. Giant Panda

Sorry, my post was (very) unclear. I meant the multiple day-rooms approach was the way to go for chimps and orangs, rather than Pongoland's homogenised, "naturalistic", but mostly empty spaces. The latter is impressive, though, with some stellar outdoor areas, brilliant research facilities, and great visitor experience. That's why it's my favourite.

Is there a significant size difference between the orangutan enclosures at Apenheul and Frankfurt?

13. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I've just caught up with this great thread. As LaughingDove mentions, there is still a banded linsang in Thailand's Pata zoo, and there might be a spotted linsang or two in some Chinese collections. Your chances look better than for Picathartes, at least! ;)

14. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't know why I didn't think of this back on the first page of posts. Regarding the title of this thread, there is a video clip that I cannot refrain from posting. :D

snowleopard likes this.
  15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

worth noting, also, the banded linsang photographed at Avilon Zoo (Philippines) in 2012. I have no idea if they still have it or not. Lots of other fantastic species in that zoo's gallery too. The Philippines isn't far from China. (I feel like I've typed this before some time, sans the linsang).

[​IMG]

16. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it's not there anymore (at least it wasn't on display when I visited back in July).

17. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can help a little with this sector FG. I travel to Aarhus occasionally with work. On an occasion in January this year I had to be there on a Monday morning and therefore couldn't get there by air on the day, so I flew into Copenhagen on the Saturday afternoon, did Den Blå Planet Aquarium that afternoon, the zoo the following day and then took the train up to Aarhus on Sunday evening.

The Aquarium is one stop from the airport on the bus route into town so for anyone flying in is very convenient - easy - to pop into. I know you're coming by train though. I found it a little underwhelming I have to confess. Its an impressive building in a great spot, but there seems to be a lot of wasted interior space. Worth a visit for the Sea Otters, which were very active, and if you're into aquatics I'm sure there are some further rareties in there. All in all I spent a couple of hours, including quite a bit of time attempting photography.

Zoo Københaven you obviously know about. It was great when I was there on a very icy January morning, I'm sure its very different in summer. I missed the nocturnal house in a basement under the monkey house - separate entrance.

There's an hourly intercity train service from Copenhagen to Aarhus via Odense. Took about three hours, Odense probably an hour. I found it very very good value and comfortable. I took a first class ticket for about 60 pounds, I think a regular single was 40-odd.

Unfortunately didn't have time to drop off at Odense but if I did that trip again I'd see if I could drop the Aquarium for Odense Zoo.

Aarhus is a great place, I always enjoy it there. I hope you like liquorice! I have never had leisure time up there but the locals all love Ree Park so I think that's the one. None-zoo, but when you're up on Jutland you're very close to the original and best Legoland. I'll make it there one day. I'd better take my kids!

FunkyGibbon and devilfish like this.
  18. FunkyGibbon

Sometimes I do feel like I live in a parallel future with different syntax :p

19. FunkyGibbon

I've finalised my itinerary and started to book things; all very exciting.
    I've already arranged to meet up with a few zoochatters; I'm going to make a bold move and issue an open invitation to any others who want to join me for a day. I'm usually a solitary fellow, but this is a long trip so I know I'll appreciate the company.

I'm going to be in North Rhine-Westphalia from July 14th to July 22nd.
    I'll be in Lower Saxony from July 23rd to July 29th.
    And finally Denmark from July 30th to August 7th.

I'm deliberately not giving exact locations publically to maintain some level of privacy, if you are interested in joining then drop me a PM and we can work out the details. My experiences of meeting zoochatters so far have all been wonderful, so I'm keen to build on that and put a few more faces to (user)names!

20. FunkyGibbon

The Swiss Interlude: Part One
    It's time to kick off the summer! Unfortunately I'm starting with something of a whimper. More on that in a second.
    I'm on the way home from China to the UK, but I've given myself a little treat: a week in Switzerland. This is primarily to visit some friends but it also will allow me to get in a couple of top quality zoo visits as well. I'll be here for seven days, and I'd planned to spend three of them in zoos, so this wasn't ever going to be a zoo focused trip, but it has become even less so now.
    My flight should have left Shanghai at midnight and arrived into Paris at six in the morning. A quick connection would have put me in Zurich by ten and then I was going to head to Goldau for the afternoon, before getting dinner with my friend in Luzern.
    However the flight was delayed by three hours and so now I'm sat in de Gaulle airport waiting for an afternoon flight, and Goldau has dropped off the itinerary. It's frustrating, but this is traveling. Apparently there was some problem with the plane that needed attention and I'm ok with that! I'm much less ok with them having the entire roster of passengers embark and then announcing this, leaving sat in cattle class for the extra time unnecessarily; I can't really think of any good reason for this other than having really aggressive turn-around times.
    In any case, I've just spent nine euros on a packed lunch, which is grim, but I've saved money on trains and the entrance fee to the Wildpark so I'm still ahead!
    The next zoo day is on the weekend, so don't expect any updates before then. No prizes for guessing which two zoos remain on my itinerary :p