Join our zoo community

Lemesos Zoo Garden Limassol Zoo upgraded; re-opened in June 2012

Discussion in 'Cyprus' started by Moos, 12 Aug 2012.

1. Moos

Moos Member

Hi, has anyone been to the re-vamped Lemesos Zoo (aka Limassol Zoo) in Cyprus yet? I am very curious if they really did what they intended to do: create a zoo that is in compliance with the EU Zoo directive. Last year I visited Pafos Zoo, and I visited Limassol Zoo as well, since I was in the neighbourhood ;). Unfortunately it was closed for upgrading; or you may say I was just very fortunate because when it was still open it provoked some serious outcries about animal welfare impairment on some weblogs. What I could see of the job they were doing it did not look so bad at all, but no animals yet. So it was difficult to assess whether the enclosures were small or large with repect to the animals they intend to keep.
    If you have visited Limassol Zoo after refurbishment, let us know.
    Many thanks

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would love to know too.

The old zoo had a lot of criticism in for it due to animal welfare grounds.
    Have they clawed back the Cretan wild goats there or mouflon?

3. alexkant

alexkant Well-Known Member

I haven't been to revamped Limassol Zoo, but found these pictures on web http://zooparki-mira.livejournal.com/338356.html. I hardly recognize the zoo which I visited twice: in 1999 and 2009. You can see mouflon on one of the pictures (next to S.American yard) and it looks like the same enclosure for them but renovated.

4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member