Join our zoo community

Lincoln Park Zoo Lincoln Park Zoo 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 6 Jan 2017.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Grant likes this.
  2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. pachyderm pro

A new female wild dog will be arriving in exchange for 2 at the zoo heading to Brookfield for breeding.

4. pachyderm pro

I finally uploaded about a dozen photos of the Arctic Tundra to the gallery. I also uploaded a photo of the former indoor tiger exhibit, which has now been completed boarded up with a sign explaining future renovations of the historic, but horrid building.

5. pachyderm pro

Also, the Parma wallabies have been replaced by Puerto Rican parrots... In the Small mammal/Reptile house... parrots...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This the first time Puerto Rican parrots have been exhibited in a mainland conventional zoo setting?

7. pachyderm pro

Really? In that case that's great news!

8. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It was originally planned that Talini, a female polar bear from the Detroit Zoo, to come to the Lincoln Park Zoo as a mate for Siku. Those plans have changed and instead, assuming no more changes are made, Kobe from Pittsburgh Zoo will be arriving at Lincoln Park at some point during this spring or summer.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  11. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I am glad to hear Talini gets to stay in Detroit. I was speaking to a volunteer there and Talini seems to be the zoo's darling since she was born there. I also heard this breeding season she has been "in love" with the male, Nuka, following him around all the time and trying to cuddle. I'm also glad to hear they are finally separating Kobe and Koda (Pittsburgh Zoo). I know one of the females from Sea World San Diego is taking Kobe's place, but because he's breed with 3 females before and has never had luck, I've always been curious if Kobe would have better luck with another male. Now with one female polar bear left at Sea World San Diego, unless they decide to send both females to Pittsburgh, I think the other one should go to Oregon Zoo to be a companion to Nora. With all these polar bear moves, I am hoping in the next year or two for better results with cubs!

12. MeiLover

MeiLover Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kobe, adult female polar bear, has arrived at the Lincoln Park Zoo and is in the process of completing her quarantine period. However, she does have access to the second yard.

Lincoln Park Zoo welcomes female polar bear

pachyderm pro and drill like this.
  13. pachyderm pro

Updates from today's quick visit:

Lion House Developments:

The former indoor tiger exhibit has a second barrier added. I uploaded a photo to the gallery.

Another set of habitats have been closed off. 2 of the 3 serval cages are blocked off. Again, I uploaded a photo to the gallery.

A keeper has stated Lions will NOT be the only cat left after the renovation.

Additionally:

Pathways are being replaced by the seal and painted dog exhibits.

14. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wonder who else might stick around? Servals seem like the most logical choice.

15. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited today - forgot how compact this zoo is, as I covered all but some Hoofed Animals and the Farm in a little over three hours! (And technically the seals, but probably could have seen them if not for the construction)

Walter Family Arctic Tundra looks incredibly well made and is following LPZ's trend of seeming to minimize moats and grottos for large glass structures, - but it was a bit disappointing the Polar bears did not seem interested in coming out, only one muddy bear briefly peeking out from an indoor area. I can't complain about the exhibit itself, which looks much roomier for the animals than the previous habitat.

The new penguin habitat is pretty attractive for what it is, and while I'll always have a hair of nostalgia for the out-of-date Penguin-Seabird House, it's very well-made and the penguins seem almost at the perfect eye level for visitors. I do slightly wish there was a bit more viewing area on the rock/land section, as the penguins were not so interested in the water today, though a few did make a dive.

As a side note, a few of the Chimpanzees ran outside, picked up some snow, and then immediately ran back indoors, and one of them was eating and playing with the snow. That was an interesting behavior to witness.

The Siberian tiger was also extremely active, pacing around, rolling on their back, and roaring.

Managed to glimpse a few species that have proven elusive to me in the past, such as the Red Wolf, the Sloth and the Cougar.

16. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

17. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Several new arrivals that haven't been reported yet: guinea hogs and the baer's pochard.

18. Milwaukee Man

19. pachyderm pro

20. Milwaukee Man

pachyderm pro likes this.