Join our zoo community

Lincoln Park Zoo Zookeepers Documentary

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by PAKMan, 1 Jan 2021.

1. PAKMan

PAKMan Well-Known Member

Does anybody happen to know where I'd be able to find a copy of the documentary "Zookeepers?" This was made in 1981 and it's a documentary showing a day in the life of zookeepers at Chicago's Lincoln Park Zoo. It was one of three documentaries produced for Lincoln Park Zoo, but also the least-known of the three. "Otto: Zoo Gorilla" (about the great apes moving from the former habitat to the then-state-of-the-art, and now-demolished, Great Ape House) and "Arctic Window" (featuring future zoo director Kevin Bell as he oversees the construction of the now-demolished Penguin/Seabird House and helps bring its inhabitants to Chicago) were both fairly well-known and I've actually seen both of them. But "Zookeepers" seems to have faded with time.

I've searched on WorldCat - which lists library items from pretty much every library you can think of. Many places HAD it on VHS, but nearly every place has it taken out of circulation. The few where it is still an item have it as a reference material, which cannot be checked out. That wouldn't be a problem except all the libraries are out of state. I've even reached out to the production company who made it but after sending them multiple emails - I've probably send three or four since last year - they've never gotten back to me. They even mention it on their website and have small clips from it.

There's so much about this documentary that interests me. It was produced just before the zoo had a major renovation campaign (the early 80s saw the large mammal habitat, the penguin house, the renovated bearline, and the current hoofstock area) constructed, and the zoo itself looks quite different than it did at that time. Also, I happened to meet a retired zookeeper who was featured in the documentary.

I know it's a longshot, but does anyone know where I might be able to find a copy? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iluvwhales likes this.
  2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

PAKMan likes this.
  3. PAKMan

PAKMan Well-Known Member

That's actually where I ended up finding "Otto: Zoo Gorilla" and "Arctic Window," both of which were uploaded by the same source. They don't appear to have "Zookeepers" on there, but I'll definitely look again!

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes, it is definitely worth a look as they have quite a lot of interesting old media on there.