Join our zoo community

Lincolnshire Wildlife Park Lincolnshire Wildlife Park news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by skoop102, 9 Mar 2015.

1. skoop102

skoop102 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2015
  2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Generic zoo-mix tigers at any rate.

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I have visited the place a couple of times,yes it has a lot of parrots.But they are getting a few other species to draw visitors in as its in the middle of nowhere!

4. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

Its one of those Zoos that I have on my wish list to visit - started for the right reasons

5. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a lot of fluff for one article.

Firstly, I'm struggling to imagine "UK councils or members of the public" needing to find a home for a pair of Tigers. Though I suppose, technically, animal dealers or zoos are members of the public.

Secondly, as TLD points out, these are "zoo mix" and not Bengal Tigers as claimed;

Finally, any responsible animal sanctuary" wouldn't let hybrid Tigers breed.

Let's face it, the whole situation is about getting visitors (and their pounds sterling) through the door. Nothing wrong with that*, but I just like a little less "spin" with my facts.

*For the record I have previously visited the place and it was nice enough and I can see that getting a few "ABC's" in will separate it from and place it above other wildlife attractions in the area. I just hope it develops well and doesn't become like a US "road-side" zoo.

6. zooman64

zooman64 Well-Known Member

The most amazing thing for me when I visited was the vast numbers, literally dozens, of macaws in an aviary, and dozens of grey parrots in another aviary. From the birds' point of view, keeping them in large flocks is the most natural thing, and I wish more places would try it, but I couldn't help feeling the food bill for so many birds must be immense. At the time of my visit a few years ago - and I think this still holds true - the place was mainly a sanctuary for unwanted pets, very laudable work and much needed, it's true, but it's a shame the place doesn't do more for the breeding of critically endangered species.

7. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

The zoo gets absolutely slated on the parrot forum of which I am a member and some people on the forum (many of whom had not even been) were trying to start a petition to have it closed down or at least persuade Derren Brown to withdraw his support for the place. I have not visited, but I suspect I should like it very much.

8. ISOE2012

ISOE2012 Well-Known Member

Is this the place that's offering the 'baby tiger feeding' experience?

9. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

I attended the Parrot Zoo on Thursday and happened to get talking to the owner. He told me that the council had approached him to see if he was prepared to consider taking on a male and female tiger that they needed to re-home. He made a reasonable sized holding enclosure just large enough to hold 2 adult tigers until he could get permission and build much larger enclosures. The female tiger totally unexpectedly gave birth to 3 cubs,they did not breed from them. They were conceived before they were re-homed at the parrot zoo. They then had to quickly sort out a holding area for the adult male,for obvious reasons,and then re-work the enclosure to make it more suitable for the young cubs.
    The owner seemed a really nice and genuine guy,who has now signed over the whole place into a charity so he makes no profit from more visitors.Everything that comes in from visitors and experience payments goes towards the upkeep of the centre,which is all about rescuing and rehoming parrots mainly,but I also saw coatis that had health issues from previous owners.
    Since the tigers were rehomed here,they have been approached by numerous councils about rehoming numerous big cats and even tapirs. They have since gained permission to build multiple big cat enclosures on a 2.5 acre extension,so expect this place to grow considerably in the coming months/years.
    It might not go down too well with the purist zoo's etc,but the animals are already out there in private collections,which the councils obviously have issues with so need to be re-homed somewhere. And the parrot zoo looks like a pretty good place to me. ( There will be a load of photos from my trip going onto the gallery as soon as the moderators create a zoo in the listings.)

Yes zooman64,they do indeed have some lovely big aviaries housing large amounts of parrots,maccaws and cockatoo's etc. I was slightly worried after I looked at some reviews on trip advisor before I attended. I was pleasantly surprised on the very small percentage of birds that had large amounts of de-feathering issues etc. I saw lots of space for the birds to fly,preen and interact with each other. I was there for 4 hours and never once saw any aggression between any of the birds. There was lots of fresh fruit and nuts/seeds readily available in all the enclosures,and also numerous interactive toys like you would find in a bird cage in a private home. I asked the owner about wether they ever rehome them,and he said that they only ever rehome them after consulting with the previous owners,and always almost straight after receiving them so they haven't had chance to go into the big aviaries and lost their pet like state.

I think you would love it Parrotsandrew,there are more parrots than you can shake a messy stick at. And the walk-through aviary is great. Get there early though so the birds are still hungry and not full of visitors oferings.

ISOE2012,yes I would think it is the place. But would think that would end soon as they are getting a fair size and nearly weaned.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

I think this place was featured on the T.V. antiques programme 'Flog It' not long ago- just the Parrots that is. Interesting to hear its turning into a more general Exotic Animal Rescue-type Centre. This is something you more usually associate with the USA than over here. I was interested to hear that councils are approaching them about rehoming issues for Tigers etc, I hadn't realised there were still (unsuitable) private holders in the UK. It may not be a regulation Zoo but if he is broadening this service to include big animals, it would seem to be a good thing.

'More Parrots than you can shake stick at'. My favourite description for 'numerous'.;)

11. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member

The Parrot zoo is worth a visit if you like parrots. There are a few pictures in the United Kingdom - Other gallery. The African grey parrot aviary is huge, and must have held at least 100 specimens. Very impressive.

12. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member

Like a lot of rescue places the Parrot Zoo is overwhelmed with certain species,to a disconcerting extent almost...there is the odd unusual thing if you look closely, and clearly from a visitor perspective they would be wise to diversify.The zoo is a fair way out of Skegness,so they will need Meerkats,ascos,butterflies,a lemur walk-through, etc. to attract the public...cant see folks being interested in Tigers if they could get that lot.

13. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member

I stand corrected and genuinely surprised by that information -I thought private big cat ownership was miniscule nowadays and, accordingly, couldn't see a need to re-home any arising.

Do you (or does anyone reading this) have any further information about the backgrounds to the big cats being privately held and requiring re-homing? I'm surprised neither ZooCheck or the media have picked up on this.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

I was surprised at that too, particularly the fact that other Councils had approached him about rehoming other Big cats also. Where are these animals being kept?:confused:

15. Big Rob

They already have meerkats,Ring-tailed lemurs(twins were born to one female the day before we attended),Marmosets, Coatis (that looked like the adult was a rescue case as it had some sort of skin disorder but had 2 youngsters in its enclosure too),Asian short-clawed otters,Reindeer (even though they were in an enclosure that was signed as Wallaby walk-through and a "coming shortly" sign pinned onto the gate. They also have a couple of enclosures under construction. One next to the otters,which by the way was the biggest I had ever seen with a lake and lots of undergrowth and hiding places (so good that we only caught a very quick glimpse to confirm there was actually anything in there),it could be another otter enclosure as it looked very similar. They also have some large tortoises and an Emu.
    The owner said the Big cat centre will even have a Perspex tunnel running through at least one enclosure so you get very close to the cats.

16. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member

All sounds distinctly very odd. Since when does a council approach a zoo (whose focus is obviously not big cats) and say 'can you rehouse a pair of tigers... oops now it's a family of tigers'??? Fair enough it's possible that a council might help in rehoming DWA species if they had a desperate rescue scenario (which this doesn't sound like). I was also under the assumption that there are very few large DWA species (like tigers) in UK private hands ie. not zoos. Wouldn't it make more sense to approach a zoo that has big cat experience?

My take on it - The Parrot Zoo has obtained/bought some generic tigers and is moving towards a more generic customer-friendly collection. I could be wrong...

17. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I think your suspicions are probably correct. although councils may contact zoos and private keepers for advise on a certain situation, I have never heard of councils approaching zoos as a middle man looking to rehome a big cat.
    I wonder if the truth has been stretched ever so slightly by the owner to make the situation sound more public friendly.

There is a very small number of big cats in private hands, especially tigers, maybe 4-5 private collections?

18. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I'm sure I would Rob, but it is out in the sticks for a public transport user like me (albeit one who has a full driving licence but has never driven without an instructor - refresher lesson number 40 is scheduled for next week).

A couple of years or so ago a very experienced zoo professional told me he was advising The Parrot Zoo, and had recommended a wide broadening of the collection. It has had other things for a while of course, with Sewerby's Ring-tailed Lemurs coming from there.

19. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member

Been on twitter last couple of weeks Parrot Zoo getting a lot of visitor praise

20. Big Rob

Well I have attended again since my first visit as my 2 daughters wanted to go. We all thoroughly enjoyed an afternoon trip,but still didn't manage a sighting of the elusive Mandril. The Ring-tailed lemurs twins have grown at an astonishing rate too. We also saw the Tapir for the first time in its new enclosure,and a very friendly Tapir it was too with having its tummy scratched being the first sight we got of it. Still no Wallabies in Wallaby wood though.I did have a slightly un-nerving incident with an over amorous parrot in the walk-in aviary though. It landed on me and really didn't want to leave,so much so that when I tried to usher it off my jacket it proceeded to bite my finger and draw blood.It was slightly disconcerting as it was perched on my neck area and I was genuinely concerned that if it wanted to grab hold of my lip or face I would really be in trouble. There were no zoo staff inside the aviary to assist and it took about 10 minutes of failed attempts to dislodge it before it decided it wasn't welcome anymore. Maybe something the zoo needs to look at in the future before someone puts in a formal complaint if they get nipped. I just think its one of those things that you have to accept if you go in with free flying birds,but other people might not be so understanding of lack of staff to oversee the enclosure.
    There are now lots of photos of the Parrot zoo from my first visit,there will be more going on later.
    (Maybe a moderator wants to move this thread and attach it to the Parrot zoo now they have created a place on here for it? );)