Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Lion cubs

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Lesley4444, 20 Apr 2009.

1. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

Hi there...
    Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the lion cubs?

Also read today that they are expecting the pygmy hippo to give birth either end of april begining of may... any news on that?

i plan to go to the zoo on Wednesday so i will see if any keepers are about to try and get some more news

2. TDH

TDH Member

Hi Lesley,

I was at the zoo yesterday and the lion enclosure was out of bounds, one of the keepers said they were expecting the birth of the cubs within the next few days and they were trying to give the mum as much privacy and space as possible. Hopefully there will be happy news soon!

The pygmy hippo hadn't given birth yet either, she was lying up next to the indoor enclosure enjoying the sun! She too is expected to deliver very soon.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Terri

3. glasgowanimal

glasgowanimal Well-Known Member

Was at the zoo on sunday, gita due to give birth later this week so fingers crossed! Ellen the hippo is showing her bump now so hopefully more good news in the next few weeks but she is a first time mum at only four years old

4. tobyBZG

tobyBZG Member

A pygmy hippo would be very nice for that young pair, also they seem to be taking alot of precautions with the lions this time as both females ate their last litters late last year :(

5. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

I didn't know that they both ate their cubs last year :( i would have thought having raised one litter each successfully they wouldn't have. After learning that i am glad they are taking precautions.

I was at the zoo today, and only the bottom viewing platform of the lions enclosure was accessable, they had also cornered off the bottom viewing point for the maned wolves (annoying cause this was right where the kits were!) so they are definately making it as calming as possible for the female. One female was out in the enclosure.. and it stated on the sign that Gita the female was due cubs anyday and thats why the house was closed.

Other news...

There were only 3 maned wolf kits - all females - but i thought there were 4 so i guess one died? does anyone know what happened? both adults were out today, the male doing alot of marking, got some great pictures that will be coming soon to my photostream :)

The penguin egg count is up to 90! - the Kings looked as if they were fresh from moulting and for the first time i have personally ever seen it, they were swimming in the pool today!.. very fun to watch :)

Mercedes travelling box was placed by her enclosure, so the move is definately happening - kinda had mixed emotions seeing it, glad she is moving to a big enclosure but will miss seeing her - also spoke to a keeper who says that the reason they have never altered the building was because the polar bear house is a listed building? and therefore its very difficuilt to get permission to do any alterations. He also mentioned that their would probably be another type of bear going in the enclosure but that bears were very difficult to keep and that would have to be investigated before a definate thing happened.

Only two african hunting dogs were out today, is that all they pack is down to? does anyone know why? have there been deaths? or dogs being moved?

The golden cat was out in her enclosure, she looks likes she was settling in but did hide alot, took me a while before she decided to make an appearance :)

Oh and a new safari bus was running! the old trailer and jeep was still taking people as well, but the new one is a massive improvement

Thanks for listening :)

6. glasgowanimal

glasgowanimal Well-Known Member

unfortunately one of the maned wolf cubs died a week or so ago, same with one of the bush dog pups

there are only two african painted hunting dogs left (1 male & female) the other two passed away during the past 1.5 years unfortunately due to health issues