Join our zoo community

Zion Wildlife Gardens Lion Man losing licence

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 11 Nov 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Deadline for Lion Man to save licence to operate park | NATIONAL | NEWS | tvnz.co.nz
    there's a couple of news videos on the link too

2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

How sad! Like many others I was charmed by the television series that is still - at this very instant - shown on Danish television. I thought that the enclosures looked far too small, but thought - perhaps - that his personal "touch" with the animals could somehow compensate this. But then I read in other threads here at ZooChat about de-clawing, wife-beating and God knows what....

And what the hell will now happen to the cats if the license is revoked?

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

To kill 40 big cats is a brutally sad concept, but it might just become a reality if the "Lion Man" finally meets his deserved fate. From reading newspaper articles I was always disgusted with the deplorable conditions at his park.

4. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Oh, so they will be put down? (I didn´t take the time to read Chlidonias´ enclosed links.) Oh God................

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I know there all animals but nearly all are mutant animals and wont have anywhere to go.

I glad to see that they are finally taking action, we in the UK have had a few of the Lion Man series aired here and I found the conditions shocking and was bewildered as to how this place could exist.

6. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

Very sad that most of them will probably get put down :(
    However, although he loved his animals, I don't believe he should be allowed to keep them in these supposed conditions. And don't get me started on his white tiger "education" program...

7. Chlidonias

so far the only media item on this development is the one I posted, but Zion isn't actually owned by Craig Busch (although this is the impression created by the tv show); it is actually a trust and as such is (as I understand the situation) run by a board. Busch has, apparently, been "stood down" and the park has a new manager who used to be a director of Auckland Zoo (this is referred to in one of the news videos on the link).

IF the park did close down the only options for the cats are rehousing in NZ, rehousing overseas, or being put down. Frankly there is nowhere in NZ for 40 big cats to go, whether they were mutant or not. The cheetahs can be easily rehomed in NZ, as could potentially some of the regular (non-white) lions, but there is nowhere that could or would take as many white tigers and lions as he has. I very much doubt if any overseas facilities would pay to export them from NZ as they are two-a-penny overseas (maybe Australia's theme park people may take a few). The euthanasia option is the most likely one, but if that were to happen there would be a massive outcry from the public (to most tv viewers Craig Busch is a hero for saving endangered species), and I rather suspect there would be an immediate fundraiser to gather the money to ship them out safely to a "sanctuary" away from the evil NZ government.

However, as the park apparently has new management one could hope that the improvements may be immediate -- starting with the construction of adequate facilities to contain the cats! I expect the new manager (and hopefully board), with the egotism of Busch now absent, would be hoping to be an integral part of the NZ zoo scene, which to me would mean, as a first step, permanently stopping the breeding of mutants. The mutant cats, or at least most of them (some may be able to be exported), would remain at the park but would be removed through natural attrition over time.

EDIT: there was just a news item on tv3 about this. The new manager has officially been named, Glen Holland former director of Auckland Zoo. The park is still open to the public. Craig Busch has had his licence revoked -- but he will remain living on the property which certainly can't bode well considering the stunts he pulls when he doesn't get his own way (eg, on one of the news links in the first post it mentions how he allegedly changed the locks on the cage of a sick tiger so nobody could gain entry to treat her!!). A person from tv2 was interviewed saying that "the lions would return to the screens in one form or another" -- apparently the series is about conservation not just about one person.

8. Chlidonias

here's the report from tv3 (had to wait for the news to finish before they put it on the internet); there's a video on there too if you want to check it out.
    3 News > Business > Story > Lion man out of a job, but the show will go on

9. Chlidonias

Lion Man in row with mother over wildlife park - New Zealand news on Stuff.co.nz
    this line is interesting: "MAF investigations manager Greg Reid said the immediate animal welfare issues at the park had been addressed but one investigation was continuing although he would not reveal details."

It would appear that the board that runs Zion probably isn't a real board of trustees. Setting something up as a charitable trust is often more of a tax dodge than anything (trusts don't have to pay taxes). I know of one place who's board consists of the owner, his wife and their two pre-teen children, and another that consists of the two owners. It rather sounds like the board at Zion is probably composed of Patricia Busch and maybe a couple of other related persons. In other words, the employment of Glen Holland as manager may not change anything. I guess its a matter of "wait and see what happens".

10. Chlidonias

Lion Man caged by his mother in bitter feud at park - Sunday Star-Times - National News

11. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

That explains everything you need to know about this idiot..!

12. Chlidonias

Lion man tries to get his park back - New Zealand news on Stuff.co.nz

13. Chlidonias

Lion Man suffers court setback - New Zealand news on Stuff.co.nz

14. NZ Jeremy

Good, it seems some of our judges still have a little sense...

15. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any updates on this saga? Are we likely to see the Lion Man back on TV again or is he finished?

16. Chlidonias

Craig Busch will be going back to the Employment Court some time this month. I'll post any developments.

As to whether "The Lion Man" will return to the screen...who can say? If Craig Busch regains control of Zion then I'd say its a certainty that TV2 (or another company, like maybe Animal Planet seeing they like that sort of thing) would film another series, given its popularity and money-making ability around the world. If he doesn't get the park back in his name, then TV2 may still film another series without him. Of course they'd have to give it a new title, and somehow I don't think it would be as popular and it would probably be canned pretty quickly

17. Chlidonias

Lion Man turns to eBay - New Zealand news on Stuff.co.nz

18. NZ Jeremy

Well as I've said before this well not end well...

And now I can add that idiots are allowed to post on auction sites...

19. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Not really freaks of nature, just not capable of surving in this day and age.

I agree with you thou, it gives out the wrong message saying they are saving these "species".

20. taun

taun Well-Known Member

kaneda, TV can be misleading, however those enclosures (cages) do seem very small considering the number of animals some of them hold.

Also is it right then to start a "Zoo" with the animals in NOT adequate enough enclosures, but say its alright because some time down the line they may build bigger enclosures for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.