Join our zoo community

Zion Wildlife Gardens Lion Man

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by MARK, 17 Nov 2006.

1. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

She managed to rip the phone line out from under the house lastnight. . . mental thing. . . sorry off topic.

2. crazy-cat

crazy-cat Well-Known Member

What about the glowing reference Tim H wrote about Carig Busch before Tim H became park operator . Hmm !

3. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

Well a lot of people gave Craig Busch great references back at the height of his career, including me when I lived in South Africa and he was first runner for supplying lions for a film about George Adamson.
    The city council gave him all the support and backup they could.
    People fall from favour all the time.
    Would you likewise condem everyone who wrote anything good about Tiger Woods before his career suffered a set back?

4. crazy-cat

crazy-cat Well-Known Member

I think everyone would agree that the declawing was an unaccepatable practice , however , what I can't understand appart from this issue is why people are so against him .This is more about just falling from favour , some of the things that have been written about him are so full of hatred and venom and I genuinely do not think he deserves this .
    I really do think he was doing his best for the cats when he was at Zion Wildlife Gardens .
    Also , may I ask why if you gave Craig Busch a reference what changed your opinion about him please ?

5. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

Is the de-clawing not enough? You know that it was used as torture in Medieval times because it's so painful, yet he was doing it routinely just to get a slot on Animal Planet! Sorry, but this has nothing to do with someone falling from favour and if the previous running of Zion was "his best" effort, the man should never be allowed to keep a moggy again, let alone a zoo full of large cats.

6. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

The declawing was bad, but remember it was carried out by a vet and approved by MAF at the time, even if they have since done a backtrack on the practice. It wasn't so long ago that chopping off lamb's tails with a knife and cutting open the gentials to drag out the testicals by hand was common.
    I don't see why he had to declaw almost every cat in the park though, I think there are only about two that missed the process.
    There is a technique that can restore the claws, this was suggested and the implimentation was begun by Tim Husband when he was there according to info on the wall of the Zion office. Not a cheap process though.

As for Busch attracting so much negativity, much of this is because of the assualt on his partner. Many people do react negatively to male assualts female.
    However even the judge said that his reation in finding his partner in bed with another couple was understandable, and chances are if he had plead not guilty he would have been aquitted.

The rift between him and his mother has not done him any good either.

My last visit to the park was a couple of months ago, its looking good, the cages are well maintained and clean. Most have quite a bit of space, most of which they use for sleeping anyway.

However visitors were few, I noticed the list of people for the week day I was there only numbered five at 2pm.

Perhaps they need to look at pricing, maybe reduce the price for a wekeend for locals to encourage the community to visit and see the park. $60 is a lot of dosh for a family.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Lion Man scammed and threatened - national | Stuff.co.nz
    it would be rude to say the Big Cat Rescue Trust account amounts to a scam itself in my opinion, so I won't :D

8. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

It may be rude to say....... but probably pretty accurate.

9. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

Has this whole thing not been settled yet? Your courts are even slower than ours!:D

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the above post (#147) had nothing to do the court case, however yes that is still on-going (and on-going, and on-going....)