Join our zoo community

Zion Wildlife Gardens Lions in New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by jones, 17 Aug 2008.

1. lionboy

lionboy Well-Known Member

by the way just pointed out to auckland that 3 of there zebras are related this is what thay wrote back

Hi Connor
    we are not breeding from Machano any more as he will be leaving the zoo sometime this year. We will be getting another male to breed with our females.

Thanks, Bernie @Auckland Zoo

2. lionboy

i just asked auckland zoo and popinted out that 3 of there zebras are related this is what thay wrote back

Hi Connor

we are not breeding from Machano as he will be leaving the zoo sometime this year. We will be getting another male to breed with our females.

Thanks, Bernie @Auckland Zoo

3. Axl2011

Axl2011 Member

Sam was raised alongside Honey (Paradise Valley Spring's oldest lioness). Sam died in 2006 at the Wellington Zoo where he lived with young lionesses Djane, Djembe and Zhara. Also departing Auckland Zoo in 1998 were Jade (1990) and Ruby (1992) who went to Franklin Zoo. Ruby was Honey's first cub. Ruby is Franklin Zoo's only surviving lion and the website says more are arriving soon. I'll send off an email to find out some details about these new lions.

4. lionboy

nice info askalice is looking in to some info bout auckland old lions trixie and victor can wait to read it do u no who the lioness were at wellington befor djane djembe and zhara

5. AskAlice

AskAlice Well-Known Member

Still digging. It looks like Victor and Trixie set quite a record with litters of cubs. Some transfers were reported others are not. Hard tracking these animals sometimes especially for the earlier decades for the municipal zoos. I'm just in the process of going backwards in the timeline so to speak. Bear with me I'll be back with an update for you on where I am at then I can hopefully give some kind of history.:)

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

It's not playing up, you've been banned (again).

:p

Hix

7. sonicjett

sonicjett Member

QUOTE FROM NEWS TODAY: Lion man Craig Busch and his supporters believe there could be a chance for him to return to his park, with rumours circulating that it may be sold.

Busch's supporters are trying to raise $3 million to pay the debt which they say has been building since he was fired as the operator at Zion Wildlife Gardens in Whangarei in 2008.

The park would not return ONE News calls but its website says it is seeking investors.

Busch was dismissed as operator of the park after an ongoing dispute with his mother Patricia, who also owns a share of the park.

The park was closed for a period in 2009 after two separate incidents of staff being attacked by tigers. The second attack was fatal.

A website has been set up which calls on people to make donations.

"In order to ensure that the cats and park will definitely be saved for Craig, he has to come up with the money to pay off the huge debt that has been built up over the time since he was thrown out of his own park," the website states.

Zion spokeswoman Sara Reid told the Northern Advocate she was aware of the campaign and said they were "acting without the authority of Zion Wildlife Park".

8. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

Hard to believe there would be much future in Nz for Craig Busch now. From being a nationwide celeb with his own TV show to a homeless wife beater was quite a plunge.

And only a fool would invest in or donate money to the lion park, there are plenty more far deserving and bonafide organisations that are better choices.

9. AskAlice

AskAlice Well-Known Member

That's a bit of a shock I saw something the other day on that. I suppose it wait and see?:confused: