Join our zoo community

Marwell Wildlife Lions of Marwell

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Charliemarwell, 2 May 2015.

Tags:
  1. Charliemarwell

Charliemarwell Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi guys,
    Recently, I've been doing some research into the history of the lions previously kept at Marwell Zoo. I'm finding it very hard to find decent information or pictures of the lions them selfs or for there enclosure. All I know is that the enclosure was opposite the current flamingo enclosure and where the amphibian ark was for a short while. I would really appreciate some help on finding more info about the lions, E.G - where they come from? There names? How many Marwell have had? When they left the collection? Many thanks,
    Charliemarwell

2. okapis

okapis Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The first pair of Asiatic Lions? Hybrids came from East Berlin in 1978,female born 22nd April 1975,male born 23rd Feb 1977,a second pair of Lions came from Jersey Zoo in 1980.2 other females came to Marwell,In 1990 female 6 years old born at Chester came from London,In 1991 female from Belfast,think they are the only 6 Lions to come to Marwell.

Last edited: 2 May 2015
  3. Charliemarwell

Thanks for the information Okapis. Really helpfull! Do you have or know of any photos? Also did they all die at marwell or did some move to other collections. I take it either way they all would surely have died by now. If i remember correctly, I believe i read about the last female called Tara?.. That she died in october 2001 of age related issues.is this correct? Her mate died in the 1990's i believe. And that she was the last lion ever to live at marwell. I also remember reading that a male called Indus (agian not sure if the name is right) lived at marwell, im not sure if he lived with with shelia but he developed sterotypical behaviour and used to be put of show due to visitors complaining.

4. okapis

Think I may have the odd photo somewhere,have a feeling the Jersey male may have gone to America but have to check on that,You are right about Indus he used to go back and forth on his platform,Its sad that the house is now been empty for some time and it seems that it has no use now.

5. Charliemarwell

That photo, If maybe you could maybe dig it out and post on here that would be amazing! Its a really shame about Indus. It must have been all the time for him to be put of show due to complaints! but then husbandry wasnt as good then as nowadays. I hope they bring in pure lions back to marwell as part of the masterplan! Marwell have the potential to have a breeding pride! In a decent enclosure - not like the old one!

6. okapis

Yes forgot about Indus which makes 7 Lions which have come to Marwell,think he came from Chester in 1985,the Jersey male left in 1983 to go to the States it was at a time where it was hoped he was pure Asiatic but he never bred and died over there,again never bred with either of the two females from Jersey or Marwell.

7. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

I hope so too I swear that a volunteer once told me that African lions were on the plans but they already have four big cat species so i cant see them getting anymore.