Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo lions

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by orang09, 6 Jan 2008.

1. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Cairns has over 20 lions so he will probably be integrated into a larger pride than he is currently in. This is just an observation and nothing to come of it (i'm not saying it would be stressful for him or any of the sort).

I wonder how he would settle in in a pride of 10 or so (I believe Cairns has a few prides of around 8 or so animals)?

2. Jalur_Tiger_Cub

Jalur_Tiger_Cub Well-Known Member

That would be quite an experience for the boy having lived with only 4 other adults max his whole life. All in good time. I think he'd love it in the end, once he has sorted his girls out.

3. lionboy

lionboy Well-Known Member

does any one no any info about auckland zoo old lions trixie aAND VICTOR and who wre the lions at the zoo in the 1980 and 70

4. Jabiru96

Does anyone know where 'Kataza' is now and if she has been re-named as I cannot find much information of where she is now.

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you mean Kura's daughter from the litter born in May 2001 she went to Adelaide with her one of her sister's and as early 2011 they were both still listed by Adelaide as being there

6. Jabiru96

I think she has been re-named Yizi, so thanks with that information.

7. Chimo

Chimo Well-Known Member

Kura's daughters Amali and Kutaza both went to Adelaide and yes Amali was renamed Yizi. I'm not sure if Kutaza was renamed but she has never bred. I read an article about introducing a new male to the two sisters at Adelaide which I assume is these two.

8. Chimo

Chimo Well-Known Member

It was said that the departure of Lazerus from Auckland Zoo would open up breeding oppotunities for the unrepresented male Ngala, does anyone know of any progress on this. I assume breeding will be concentrated on 12 year old lioness Amira as her 15 year old mother, Kura, is too old to reproduce.

9. Jabiru96

There is no Kutaza at Adelaide Zoo. There is Mujambi, the male, and the two sisters Yizi and Amani. So going by that, doesn't that mean Kutaza was renamed Yizi and Amani (not Amali) kepot her name?

10. Chimo

Chimo Well-Known Member

Amali and Kutaza (both born 2001) both went to Adelaide Zoo in 2002 and have remained there ever since. I emailed the Adelaide Zoo a while back and they said Amali gave birth to 2.1 cubs in 2004 and has been renamed Yizi. Kutaza was renamed Amani. In my opinion it would have made more sense to do it the other way around or even better keep the names as they were. Kutaza is swahili for 'Cross one.' Kutaza was the smallest cub in the litter but had a fiesty nature like her mother Kura.

What also adds to the confusion is in 2004 Kura gave birth at the Auckland Zoo again to another litter of four. One of the males was named Amani and went to live at the Mogo Zoo in 2005.

11. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

Chimo at the moment Ngala is being kept seporate from the females for now as they are picking on him a bit hopefuly soon he can be reintroduced

12. Chimo

Chimo Well-Known Member

Oh no, that's no good. I guess it's not surprising given his submissive nature and Kura's dominant nature. She even put Tonyi and Tombo in their places as a young lioness. The best thing to do would be to put Amira and Ngala together, separate from Kura and Sheeka but of course this defeats the purpose of having a pride and could create more issues.

13. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ngala

It is dissapointing that Auckland Zoo were never able to breed from Ngala during his lifetime (2002-2014), as he represented a fresh bloodline in the region.

It is my opinion that when the plans to send Lazerus to Cairns were abandoned (in favour of introducing him to a single lioness at TWPZ), Ngala should have been exported in his place, as Lazerus has multiple decendents in the region. As a submissive male, Ngala would have struggled to maintain domiance over the three Auckland Zoo lioness'.

When Ngala was euthanased last year, Auckland Zoo discussed the possibility of importing a new male down the line. It is my opinion this would be pointless as the females: Kura (1998), Sheeka (1999) and Amira (2001) are now post-reproductive.

It may (or may not) be possible to reintroduce Sheeka's daughters: Djane (2001), Djembe (2001) and Zhara (2001) at Wellington to the Auckland Zoo pride. This would enable Auckland Zoo to hold an non-breeding lioness pride of six animals aged 14-17 years, and give Wellington Zoo the oppotunity to import some young breeding females while their two males (2005) are still relatively young. Perhaps someone who knows more about the logistics of lion introductions could constructively comment on the feasibility of this idea?

14. Zoofan15

Current African Lions in New Zealand (accredited zoos only)

Auckland Zoo:

Kura (F98)
    Sheeka (F99)
    Amira (F01)

Wellington Zoo:

Djane (F01)
    Djembe (F01)
    Zhara (F01)
    Zulu (M05)
    Malik (M05)

Orana Wildlife Park:

Priscilla (F98)
    Ra (M02)
    Kahn (M02)
    Sakura (M02)
    Mishka (F02)
    Leah (F04)
    Meeka (F04)
    Tua (F09)
    Tama (F09)
    Kairangi (M09)
    Tawhiri (M09)
    Mambila (M11)
    Masai (M11)

15. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Technically there is another zoo holding lions in NZ that is ZAA accredited: Pouakai Zoo. One male and two females, originally from Paradise Valley. Paradise Valley and the collection at Kamo (not sure what current name is...) would be the only others holding lions I think?

16. Zoofan15

I wasn't aware Pouakai Zoo were accredited, thanks for that info. I suppose titling my post with accredited zoos was my way of saying "I'm too lazy to research all the names and ages of the 'Zion' and 'Paradise Valley' lions!"

I'm not sure if Orana Wildlife Park are part of the African Lion breeding programme as their lions descend from Toby (an inbred Paradise male) and Kiara (a female from Bullens with unknown parentage). I get the impression that when Wellington lent them their males, Malik and Zulu, this was done as more of a favour (and because they vacated space at Wellington for rennovations to the lion exhibit), rather than any coordianted breeding move.

Either way, Auckland and Wellington's females are now post reproductive and Orana has limited breeding options. Priscilla and Mishka are now post reproductive and Leah and Meeka will be post reproductive as of 2017. This leaves just Tua and Tama (born 2009). Their options are limited as Wellington's males are related to them: Malik (father) and Zulu (cousin) and Orana's males (also related) are castrated. I guess their only options would be to loan Poukai's male (an inbred but more distant relation), acquire a male from an unaccredited zoo (Zion or Paradise Valley), import a new male from an overseas accredited zoo or phase out their two prides and start again with lions that can contribute/participate in the breeding programme. This to me would seem the best option. The first pride (Priscilla, Ra, Leah, Meeka, Mambilla and Masai) is essentially non reproductive as the males are castrated and the females will all be post reproductive as of next year.

17. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if after Aucklands Lioness's die they hold a breeding pride again or a single sex group .

Thanks BennettL

18. Zoofan15

The three lionesses are aged 15, 17 and 18 years and can live to until their early 20s in captivity. Assuming the youngest, Amira (2001), reaches that age, they could easily occupy the enclosure for another 7-8 years. This is a long time and I doubt the studbook coordinator knows 100% what will be happening in 2 years time, let alone in 7-8 years.

However I’m sure you’re aware of that, so in answer to your question….

It’s my belief the enclosure will be home to a small-medium breeding pride. In the past, Auckland has held 2 adult males, 2 adult females and their 7 cubs and then later 2 adult males, 3 adult females and 6 cubs so it easily has the capacity to hold this number again. It has been 12 years since Auckland Zoo last bred cubs so giving Auckland the opportunity to hold a breeding would certainly not be unreasonable in that respect also (some breeding programmes try to rotate this privilege between institutions).

I suppose additional things to consider is Perth and Taronga's plans to renovate/build new enclosures for African Lions, which will open up the possibility of these two institutions holding breeding prides also.

19. BennettL

Thanks, zoofan15

It would be great to have lion cubs again.I guess with the Auckland zoo master plan they could at least include a new lion enclosure.

BennettL

20. BennettL

Both Auckland and Wellighton have single sex or related prides which means no breeding will commence.Aucklands single sex pride should remain for another 5-7 years and Wellington zoos related pride for 10-12 years.Does Orana breed their Lions?If so when we're the last cubs born?

BennettL